• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

You like All-State?

I do. Have you ever been?

I have eaten there, but Not the burger. I've also had drinks. Not burger drinks either. Add All-State to the list if you like. Bacon cheese with onions are fine, as long as you taste the burger without the ricketa-racketa first.

I think I'm going to have to clarify Burger Club again. There is no WAY Molly's burger is better that Jane's. It's about the meat. Clarification to come.

As mentioned previously, the burger pictures on this thread enticed me to opt out of healthy lunch and go burger hunting today. Paid my first visit to Mitchel London's place at Fairway on 75th and Bway. I had a cheeseburger (cheddar), rare, with fries for $8. An excellent burger IMHOP. Good flavor to the meat, with a slight gaminess to it, almost a bit like lamb. This may not sound too appetizing to some, but to me it was. I suspect they use very high quality meat, and I wonder if it is slightly aged. The burger was a good size, maybe 1.5 inches thick and 4 inches in diameter. A light char on the surface, and cooked what I'd call closer to medium rare than the rare I requested. The bun was nothing out of the ordinary, but soft not toasted. The meat was juicy but not as much so as many a burger. I wonder if this is due to higher quality or leaner cuts used. I would have preferred a bit more seasoning to the meat (maybe some salt, white pepper, etc.), but I like to season my own burgers with a secret mix, so maybe I'm biased.

All in all, I'd say the Fairway burger is an excellent choice for the burger "purists", those who seek high quality meat and want nothing else distracting from this. I still prefer the burger at All-State Cafe, with a bit more seasoning and fat, sweet grilled onions, and some sloppy bacon and cheddar. I guess I'm more of a trashy burger kinda guy, than a burger gourmet per se (two points back at ya FG).

Fries and dessert were excellent, but that's not the point of this thread now is it? I'll write a bit more on other food items at Fairway on the Mitchel London thread.

Edited by Felonius (log)

Gotta get me to burger club one of these days.

Al dente's coming to Burger Club?

Remind me to actually do my hair.

K

:wub:

I don't know if I'll ever have a trip up to NYC that coincides with burger club, but if so, you'll have plenty of warning.

Oh--my guess is that we could probably arrange a Burger Club meeting to coincide with your visit. Elyse? Sherri? Am I right, or am I right?

K

didja do your hair for the bobolink shindig, or is it normally that unkempt?

:biggrin:

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

didja do your hair for the bobolink shindig, or is it normally that unkempt? 

:biggrin:

That was a special style done just for you. Cheveux à la ride in a convertible!

*kicks your butt* you're supposed to be all chivalrous and tell me that the windblown look is fabulous on me. Jeez. Men.

:raz::raz:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Not burger drinks either.

lemme think about this.

take a burger, dump into a blender, make a burger smoothie.

squeeze a burger until you get all the good stuff out, make some burger juice.

wait, wait, wait for it....

eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!

that's like soooo gross, dude.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Not burger drinks either.

lemme think about this.

take a burger, dump into a blender, make a burger smoothie.

squeeze a burger until you get all the good stuff out, make some burger juice.

wait, wait, wait for it....

eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!

that's like soooo gross, dude.

*choke*

*gag*

*hork*

My idea of a burger drink: layer of vanilla milkshake, layer of Bailey's, another layer of milkshake. Like a burger sitting between two buns.

Sherri A. Jackson

Perhaps I can smuggle the appropriate bar ware and ingredients to the next burger club meeting, so we can sample a burgertini with the main course then. So long as someone creates enough distraction for the waitstaff so I'm not arrested for bartending without a license. :wink:

Oh--my guess is that we could probably arrange a Burger Club meeting to coincide with your visit.  Elyse?  Sherri?  Am I right, or am I right?

K

Of course! We'll always be willing to accomodate our out-of-town eGulls. :smile:

Such hospitality. I've always said NYers don't deserve their reputation :biggrin:

I'm hoping to get up there in the middle of Nov. I'll see what I can work out.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Such hospitality. I've always said NYers don't deserve their reputation  :biggrin:

New Yorkers propagate that mean and nasty reputation rumor because we don't want our quiet little town overrun with tourists who will exploit us and take advantage of our kind and gentle ways.

Edited by hillbill (log)
Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

Such hospitality. I've always said NYers don't deserve their reputation  :biggrin:

New Yorkers propagate that mean and nasty reputation rumor because we don't want our quiet little town overrun with tourists who will exploit us and take advantage of our kind and gentle ways.

interesting how that dichotomy works, isn't it?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I was in the Village one night a few years ago, went to buy some smokes from a little kiosk joint in the street, and drunkenly left my wallet on the counter and walked away. When I got back to my hotel, I realized it was gone. I had a load of credit cards and about $300 cash in it. I noticed that the voice mail light was lit on my phone. This saint of a guy, the next customer at the kiosk, found my wallet, found my biz card, called my office, got the name of the hotel I was staying at, called me, and gave me info to call him back. I call him and he says I can pick it up in the morning at the police precinct in the Village. I offered profusely for him to take $20 out of the wallet, or meet me for drinks on me, or send him my first born, or whatever. Wouldn't take a thing. Sure enough, got my wallet back with everything still inside.

You NYers are alright in my opinion.

It's been a long time since I've been there, but I look forward to getting up there soon. Can't wait to meet some more of you eGullleteer's-- it's always been a good experience.

Speaking of which, I'm off to meet a couple of them now.

Goodnight,

Mike

-- A.B.

Don't make this into a virtues of New Yorkers vs. non New Yorkers thread.  Start another thread if this conversation continues.

I was just trying to give you encouragement.

-- A.B.

Well, I figured if I had any hope to be accepted into the Burger Club at this late date (I've been away from NYC for a few months), I'd better do my research. I've gone back and read through the BC Opus and am ready to go!

I know there's a long list of burger joints but here are a few suggested additions:

All State Cafe

J.G. Mellon's

Lunchbox Food Company

All State is one of my favorites, and I plan on going back this week to directly compare this burger to the one I had at Fairway today.

J.G. Mellon's has a very loyal following in NYC, but then maybe this relegates it to "overhyped" status, much like Corner Bistro. I haven't been there in a while, but remember enjoying the JGM burger very much in the past.

I went to Lunchbox Food Co. in May on a tip from a waitress at Chanterelle, who said it was the best burger she'd had in NYC. At the time, I felt it was indeed a contender in NYC. I'll revisit this place to and post back. Anyone here tried this place? It's in an old diner on the West Side highway down in the Village. Kind of a funky place with upscale burger/bistro food and homemade chocolates.

Don't make this into a virtues of New Yorkers vs. non New Yorkers thread.  Start another thread if this conversation continues.

I was just trying to give you encouragement.

Our posts crossed, so it's not aimed at you, dear.

Nope, I am wrong. They most certainly did not cross. I just didn't get to the bottom of the page when I posted.

Edited by elyse (log)

I went to Lunchbox Food Co. in May on a tip from a waitress at Chanterelle, who said it was the best burger she'd had in NYC.

Kind of a funky place with upscale burger/bistro food and homemade chocolates.

i've noticed this place several times and wondered about it.

hmm, great burgers and chocolate, you say? this could be the beginning of a BC tradition... :smile: have you sampled the chocolates?

I LOVE this thread. Only sorry that being here in the hinterlands (Maine) precludes me from joining the search for the ultimate burger.

However, since I noticed some (nasty) burger cocktail postings earlier, I would suggest you put your blenders and squeezed burgers away and consider a jigger or two of good bourbon on the rocks as one grand accompaniment to a delicious burger.

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken