• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

I got a couple more instant-reads today at Broadway Panhandler's sale -- ON THROUGH TOMORROW!!! -- so we'll have 5 of them when I can bring them.  Maybe I'll leave one with our Fear-elyse Leader.

Oh M'God. The sight of gulleteers coming through the door , insta-reads clipped to their pockets, will be enough to throw any burger joint into a frenzy. :biggrin:

Edited by Nick (log)

given the fact that most people have dynamic and changing schedules, i'm not sure i see the benefit in having it the same time/day every time. in fact, that might make might it very difficult for a wide variety of people to attend. most notably, me.

Forkandpen, you're pix are just fine for the first meeting, especially given the lack of light; everything is open to revision.

i think the word is "your". :rolleyes:

Edited by tommy (log)

Oops. I fixed it. Well, as I once wrote in a newsletter: "The editor need help."

But I disagree with you about the regularity: people with dynamic (= not fixed?) schedules just might find that they could make it sometime, because they'd be able to work it into their sked.

Then again, no one has said that there can't be ad hoc meetings. And we never resolved whether there even has to be a minimum number of members present, let alone how many a quorum would be. So in theory, unless decided otherwise, anyone could rate a burger anywhere, anytime -- just so long as they used the approved rating system. OH dear, this is all sounding too bureaucratic; reverting to my roots, I fear. :raz:

And as long as I'm here: Picaman: that water buffalo yogurt I mentioned is also available at Gourmet Garage; the brand is "Woodstock." Hope to see you and Kirk the lurker at more events! :smile:

But I disagree with you about the regularity: people with dynamic (= not fixed?) schedules just might find that they could make it sometime, because they'd be able to work it into their sked.

regardless, if people's schedules are dynamic, many can work in the dates that might come up, and there's no chance of locking anyone out, as might be the case if it was decided that sunday at noon was a good time, but some go to church every sunday at noon.

Oops. I fixed it.

oh that's fine. i just figured since you recently pointed out some mistakes, i'd point out your's. :unsure:

Edited by tommy (log)

Oops.  I fixed it.  Well, as I once wrote in a newsletter: "The editor need help."

Then again, no one has said that there can't be ad hoc meetings.  And we never resolved whether there even has to be a minimum number of members present, let alone how many a quorum would be.  So in theory, unless decided otherwise, anyone could rate a burger anywhere, anytime -- just so long as they used the approved rating system.

I don't approve of the rating system.

I think the schedule should be open so all or people who want to attend may have the chance. I definitely like a set schedule, but it's not fair to all.

regardless, if people's schedules are dynamic, many can work in the dates that might come up, and there's no chance of locking anyone out, as might be the case if it was decided that sunday at noon was a good time, but some go to church every sunday at noon.

Shut up tommy. :biggrin:

Shut up tommy. :biggrin:

OK then.

In case this was misinterpreted, I thought tommy was referring to me running off to church today (which I missed entirely). I only go for the last 15 minutes or so, so it's an easy window to miss.

In case this was misinterpreted, I thought tommy was referring to me running off to church today (which I missed entirely).  I only go for the last 15 minutes or so, so it's an easy window to miss.

no, it wasn't. i was simply offering an example of a prior commitment that would surely supercede the BC. for me, the commitment is not being in NYC on weekends. for some, it might be church on sunday afternoon. or saturday afternoon for that matter. for others, maybe it's their weekly status meeting thursdays at 1 pm, in which case if BC was every thursday at noon, they could never go.

you get the idea.

Edited by tommy (log)

Not fer nuttin'..... Why don't youse guys head up the BC meets on the 1st Saturday and the 3rd Sunday of each month? That way you could all put a "13" on your black, leather, BC jackets.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

In case this was misinterpreted, I thought tommy was referring to me running off to church today (which I missed entirely).  I only go for the last 15 minutes or so, so it's an easy window to miss.

no, it wasn't. i was simply offering an example of a prior commitment that would surely supercede the BC. for me, the commitment is not being in NYC on weekends. for some, it might be church on sunday afternoon. or saturday afternoon for that matter. for others, maybe it's their weekly status meeting thursdays at 1 pm, in which case if BC was every thursday at noon, they could never go.

you get the idea.

I know, I know, I know. I just thought you were giving me shit for the church thing. Although you are very good with your usage of emoticons, and I should have known better.

We are in agreement on the random scheduling, my friend.

bigbear, Saturdays and Sundays are out for tommy. We want tommy.

I had fun at the "Burger Club" -- how was the post-BC greenmarket run? It was nice to meet everyone!

I thought Molly's burgers were pretty good. I'm surprised at low the scores were -- 69-point-something? That's a C-minus, or a D-plus, if I remember academic scores. That's the kind of score that gets most kids grounded for a week. :wink: Offhand, I would have expected a solid "B" rating.

Well, something had to set the baseline, right? On the bright side, I'm looking forward to consuming the burger that merits an A-plus rating.

I wonder if Molly's has recovered from watching us whip out a scale, meat thermometers, spreadsheets & pencils to "rate" our meals.

[Note to Orik (and other lurkers): please come say howdy next time. Lurking online is acceptable behavior. Lurking in person is creepy!]

I'm confused about the "saltiness" rating.  Isn't that what the salt shaker is for?

but food should be appropriately seasoned when it hits the place. whether that's a ribeye, roasted chicken, or burger.

additionally, i'm on the thought that salt (before cooking!) enhances the crust and flavor. others, of course, think that's a horrible idea! :shock:

I had fun at the "Burger Club" -- how was the post-BC greenmarket run? It was nice to meet everyone!

I thought Molly's burgers were pretty good. I'm surprised at low the scores were -- 69-point-something? That's a C-minus, or a D-plus, if I remember academic scores. That's the kind of score that gets most kids grounded for a week.  :wink:  Offhand, I would have expected a solid  "B" rating.

Well, something had to set the baseline, right? On the bright side, I'm looking forward to consuming the burger that merits an A-plus rating.

Well, there's an awful lot of room for the failing numbers there. It's a different scale. Molly's doesn't get grounded. It gets a "We are very disapointed in you. You let us down. We hope you try better from now on." Then Molly's sulks in it's bedroom til it's dinnertime.

I guess one problem that I have with the term "saltiness" is that it's too limiting.  "Seasoning" is more appropriate.

I think I used seasoning. :smile::rolleyes:

ALWAYS season before cooking!

Edited by elyse (log)

I guess one problem that I have with the term "saltiness" is that it's too limiting.  "Seasoning" is more appropriate.

"salti-and-pepperiness"

Although some may consider it heresy, a dry rub (pat-on) over the surface which includes a bit of sugar will give a caramelized surface under a broiler, too.

I often use powdered chipotle, fine black pepper, a little salt, and a bit of sugar to add about one teaspoon of mixture per burger.

If City Hall isn't on the Burger Club's reference list, perhaps it could be added. I believe the lunch price is $10.95...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Offhand, I would have expected a solid  "B" rating.

I've been to Molly's many times and would rate it a solid B, maybe even higher when you factor in value and setting.

Since I wasn't there, I have one important guestion regarding how the taste test was conducted:

Did anyone state their opinions before scorecards were filled out?

I hope the answer is no. I think that many people in a group dynamic can be swayed once someone has stated a strong opinion.