• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

so you're saying it's at least worthy of being in the ballpark, therefore somewhere above a zero?

way i see it, a burger you can't screw up like you can mess up other things.

overcooked, fine. undercooked, fine.

bread not warmed, fine. lettuce/tomato/onion too/not sufficient, fine.

I can deal with all of those. they take away from the quality of the burger, but aren't zero worthy.

If it was overcooked to the hardness of an 8 ball, that's not fine.

same if they decided to throw the raw burger from the fridge/coldpan to the bun to you.

but with a burger, they're not going to f it up like they might cassoulet or something.

given all that, if big mac is the bottom rung, i would still give it at least a 1.

personally, i'd give it more, but that's a separate issue.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

The point of Burger Club, is that a burger can be fucked up in so many different ways, and so badly it's not worth eating it at all. We're trying to find the best burger in the city. Not the best burger eating experience, not the best plate of food. Am I missing your point, herb?

And there's no saying f or eff in Burger Club.

Edited by elyse (log)

I like Big Macs waaay better than I like Corner Bistro.

you clearly don't like that style of hamburger, which means you're not going to like a good percentage of the "best burgers" in NYC. you don't know what you're missing. and don't say you do, because you surely don't.

The point of Burger Club, is that a burger can be fucked up in so many different ways, and so badly it's not worth eating it at all.  We're trying to find the best burger in the city.  Not the best burger eating experience, not the best plate of food.  Am I missing your point, herb?

And there's no saying f or eff in Burger Club.

really? see, maybe that's why burger club is more necessary for some than others.

i've never had that bad a burger. i've had average, mediocre, dry, whatever.

but as bad as i'm getting from you, never that bad.

why can't i say that thing in between E and G?

It's my favorite letter.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

So like, when are you guys actually gonna eat one?  :unsure:

whatchu talkin' bout, willis?

why, u wanna RSVP?

i don't know how much i'll be involved.

i'm just killin' time right now.

maybe i'll throw out a useful insight or 2.

OTOH, i've never had a burger in NYC that I can recall.

I imagine i've had a fast food burger sometime. just don't remember it.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

According to the local restaurant critic, the Morton's on Connecticut Avenue here has the best burgers in Washington, DC. Only at lunch, though. Catch the Acela down here!! Have some glasses of wine with me at Citronelle and then catch the 9 o'clock train back.

Mark

Big and tasteless

but juicy.

they do seem to taste like boiled beef.

Sorry I misquoted you. Boiled beef and dishwater are the same thing to me.

Oh dear. That was Jon, wasn't it?

My apologies, tommy. :smile:

Can I not wake up this morning?

tommy, I take back my apology.

Jon, sorry I confused you with tommy. :rolleyes:

Edited by elyse (log)

Apparently, we need to keep from lumping all Jackson Holes together. The one on 3rd Ave at 35th (?) makes a pretty good burger. I haven't eaten at other Jackson Holes, but I imagine the quality tends to vary from one location to another.

And if anyone decides to go to McD's to try the Big Mac, count me out. I get ill just thinking about that place.

Sherri A. Jackson

Apparently, we need to keep from lumping all Jackson Holes together.  The one on 3rd Ave at 35th (?) makes a pretty good burger.  I haven't eaten at other Jackson Holes, but I imagine the quality tends to vary from one location to another.

And if anyone decides to go to McD's to try the Big Mac, count me out.  I get ill just thinking about that place.

No, we're not trying the Big Mac. I was just saying where it rates with me compared to the places I hate.

Big and tasteless

but juicy.

they do seem to taste like boiled beef.

Sorry I misquoted you. Boiled beef and dishwater are the same thing to me.

Oh dear. That was Jon, wasn't it?

My apologies, tommy. :smile:

Can I not wake up this morning?

tommy, I take back my apology.

Jon, sorry I confused you with tommy. :rolleyes:

What's this about dishwater? That's a taste. JackHole Burgers don't even have that. Except maybe for the five trillion possible toppings.

BTW: the boiled beef comment was tommy's. :biggrin: I wouldn't have characterized boiled beef as having an identifiable taste either.

So what's the deal with this Corner Bistro place? Having never had it, I have no idea what's going on here.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Wait a minute, we've got to be able to say F. Otherwise, I'm leaving. :angry:

(For those who don't know, my name that starts with F ends with a piece of the human anatomy I would rather not be called.)

And if any of you want to include Big Macs, can you hand me mine outside? The sour smell of the fries inside those places really puts me off my feed.

While I'm at it -- can we just have a 0 to 4 or 5 scale, not 0 to 10? I mean, are we really willing to put such a fine edge on it? What would be the difference between so many levels?

Ok. No using f or eff to stand for fuck or fucking or fuckacious, or any other conglomeration of those letters, the first four remaining in that order. K?

Suzanne, you'll always be my favorite F. :biggrin:

Scale = 0-5.