• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Champignon Sauvage

I feel like a child looking forward to a new toy. Just booked for lunch on 5th August.

David sounded 'fairly' confident that they would be open for business. I mentioned that I had been reading about the restaurant for months on egullet and was very much looking forward to it.

And Culinary Bear - he asked if I was you so I'd just go ahead and give them a call - he's expecting to hear from you!

I'm very excited.

Does anyone know if there are there any nice, simple hotels or B&Bs near le CS?  I'm thinking of taking Mr Poppy for his birthday in November

You could try the Willoughby in Suffolk Square, if nothing else it is an easy stroll to the CS. Staying there was how I found CS in the first place. Not been since the ownership changed but it was always an elegant place and it looks like it has been seriously refurbished.

Edit to point at the correct web site.

Edited by britcook (log)

Does anyone know if there are there any nice, simple hotels or B&Bs near le CS?  I'm thinking of taking Mr Poppy for his birthday in November

We stayed at the Kandinsky and it was excellent. It's quite upmarket but not fussy at all and good value.

We stayed at the Travelodge on a £5.00 a night deal. They are currently offering a £26.00 deal if you can stand the thought of staying in such a place. Its newly built, the rooms are comfortable enough but I'd take your own towels if I were you.

• 1 month later...
I feel like a child looking forward to a new toy. Just booked for lunch on 5th August.

David sounded 'fairly' confident that they would be open for business.

he sounded more confident when i booked for dinner on the 6th!

hopefully their timing is right as i've just called to confirm our table and the answer message says they re-open on thursday 4th!

you don't win friends with salad

fuck - opening delayed for 3 weeks. Lovely lunch cancelled.

A very disappointing situation especially as I've blown £40 on train fares and to top it all off turned down a ticket for Saturday's play at Edgbaston last week :angry:

Edited to add can get a 50% refund on train tickets.

Edited by Scottf (log)

I just rang and in amongst the hammering in the background, was told "hopefully next Tuesday, the 9th"

Suspect that's of little comfort to offcentre and scottf though ... sorry

I'm blaming Marshall.  He should've known better than to reserve the Saturday after refurb was planned to finish  :raz:

Err, i think you'll find the refurb was planned to finish some 3 weeks before our planned visit. :raz:

I'm sure the person most peed off about all this is David & his team, turning away 3 weeks of reservations has got to be a very demotivating job to do, even ignoring the obvious loss of income.

They were hoping to have access to the kitchen by last friday, and then a few days to get the stocks and prep done so Tuesday sounds about right.

I did suggest that we weren't bothered if the restaurant wasn't finished but unfortunately it's the kitchen that was the last to be finished :sad:

I'm sure it will be worth the wait and also Lypiatt House where we were going to stay were very accomodating with our late cancellation so give them a call if you're planning a trip.

you don't win friends with salad

Next was a croquette of pigs trotter on a bed of salted cod surrounded by a dice of beetroot & fava beans.  The pigs trotter was diced finely and scented with little slithers of black truffle. 

slithers of black truffle sounds rather gross, i'd much rather find a sliver on my plate

Went here last night.

Refurb complete, everything looking very new and shiny.

Started with langoustine & cock's kidneys, then pork belly with razor clams, then cheese. All excellent. Innovative and intelligent food.

Service great - Helen was running FOH single-handedly because a member of staff wasn't around (if I recall correctly) but made us feel very welcome.

:smile:

Just back from Cheltenham and a fantastic lunch at LCS. I was there to write an article for olive magazine, so I'm going to have to keep the details for that. I will say that it was the best of the three meals I have had there. If I could have levelled one criticism in the past of David's cooking it was that it tended towards richness. Now, there is the same intensity of flavour, but the food is a little lighter. I was even able to fancy a petit four or three with my coffee for the first time.

We had around 8 courses and I would find it very difficult to single out a dish for particular praise - they were uniformly excellent. However, favourites around the table were pan fried cock's kidneys and langoustines, langoustine tortelloni, langoustine sauce; seared dived shetland scallop,raw cauliflower, cauliflower puree, cumin froth; and breast of wood pigeon, date puree, goats cheese cream. Each of the dishes had additional elements to those listed on the menu which I won't go into as I don't want to spoil the "surprise" for anyone going soon.

Its amazing to think of the how the room was compared to it now. It was a nice enough place to enjoy a meal, but it didn't really do the food justice; now you feel like you are in a two or three star restaurant. I have some pictures which I will upload soon.

I was having a wander around town this morning and came across a couple of places that will be of interest to eGulleters: Nectarous Wines just around the corner from the restaurant where I bought a bottle of the Rully that I had enjoyed at LCS yesterday and Cooking: The Books (2, The Courtyard, Montpellier 01242 577908) which has an amazing selection of cookbooks, and a very good second hand stock as well as foregin titles such as Ducasse and Keller etc.