• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hotel Restaurants

Long Duck

It's the worst convenience store IN THE WORLD, and it's right around the corner from my house. I've vowed for months that I was going to write an essay about it. They carry maybe some Dinty Moore, possibly a couple cartons of milk, some beer (that's in their favor, I suppose), and NO frozen pizza. Have you ever heard of a neighborhood corner grocery that didn't carry frozen pizza?

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Sundstrom's new place will be called Lark and it will be in the old Kokeb building on 12th.

I walked over to the building today at lunch...paper on the windows, Kokeb awning tossed out back and some minor repairs already started on the exterior. I tried to peer through a small gap in the paper, but was met with a glare from someone inside, didn't see much of anything.

Studpid question...why do new restaurants and retailers so regularly paper over the windows of spaces that are being worked on? It's such common practice that I'm sure there's a good reason for it. Is it the desire to have a "ta-da!" moment or are there practical considerations?

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

to keep the construction workers from wasting time people watching. Unlike us web browsers.

Interesting, never occured to me that it was to keep people from looking out, rather than keeping others from looking in.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

• 2 weeks later...
Nancy Leson's take on the subject:

what she said

I am officially announcing a letter-writing campaign to get Tim Kelly to open his next place here in Seattle, not New York! Please Tim.....please!