• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tom Valenti: "Prep ahead"

Wilfrid

Andy, the point of adding basil to a sauce in the morning and then finishing with fresh basil in the evening is the range of muted and louder flavours.

Looks like Tom Colicchio agrees with you on this point, he adds half a bunch of tarragon to his braising liquid for lamb shanks at the beginning of cooking time, then the other half 3 hours later after straining the liquid. This really is a new one   on me. I wonder if we could get Tom himself to comment on this for us? I'll e mail him this thread and see. Thanks for pointing this out Jinmyo.

jhlurie, the kalbi were magnificent: Right proportion of fat to meat to bone, spicy, deep and profound beef flavour. With kimchee, daikon and celery salad, scallion pancakes, sake.

We had three left over and so I reheated them gently, served them to a friend with grilled asparagus, Dijon mustard, and huge crunchy croutons I make by tearing handfuls of a boule or baguette and roasting them with olive oil and seasoning. She was very happy.

Andy, always welcome. Layering of flavours is the way to enlightenment or at least a big grin.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I cooked Tom Valenti's Lamb Shank recipe for Easter lunch for 8 and it worked particularly well I must say. They were in the oven for around three hours then I took them out whilst I roasted some potaoes. I then reheated then in a roasting tray on the stove top in their strained braising liquor which reduced as I basted the shanks.

I served them with flageolet beans in rosemary and garlic cream, from a recipe by Henry Harris.