• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Q&A -- Lebanese Cuisine

The pita bread was a blast to make. I used my KitchenAid for the dough, which made the kneading easier. It didn't look like the dough balls had risen much after an hour, but I went ahead with the rolling out (rolling twice, allowing them to rest for 5 mintutes helped get them rolled out thin - the mechanical kneading developed some strong gluten) and the remaining 15 minute rest before baking.

To be honest, this was the first time I'd really baked directly on the tiles lining my lower oven rack. I was fascinated, watching them puff up though the oven window. Very cool.

Most of the other dishes were things we've made before, or variations thereon, but the homemade pita and the garlic sauce were new to us.

Thanks Elie.

• 5 weeks later...

wow, wow, wow!...the best word that describes how I felt after seeing all this is JEALOUS!! .. :biggrin: ...I want to try those mouthwatering recipes..this page is definitly the shortest route to my husbands heart..lool

I have a few questions if you dont mind chef Elie

I've decided to stop buying the "creamy" labneh..its soo easy to make...but my question is can i use the low fat yoghurt for it? and is it easy to find a cheese cloth ( i have no clue what it is).

Is it enough to knead the kebbeh by hand??..I remember seeing my dad use a funny looking monster size machine for kebbeh preparation..dont u need a processor??

My attempts to prepare home-made hummos were always a failure..I mean it would taste ok, but not what I expect (a bit grainy and lacks the kick that restaurnt-prepared hummos has).. I followed a recipe from an arabic cookbook (chef Ramzi)

How come you have tiles in your oven ( :raz: ok I might not be as knowledgable as you guys are when it comes to the kitchen..but I promise you, I want to learn..)

AND FINALLY, would you be kind enough to give me a recipe for waraq inab bil zeit..I cook the one with meat and would like to variate..

Thanks again..wonderful work..

Hi Nora. Since Elie hasn't responded yet maybe I can help a little:

I've decided to stop buying the "creamy" labneh..its soo easy to make...but my question is can i use the low fat yoghurt for it? and is it easy to find a cheese cloth ( i have no clue what it is).

Low fat laban works fine, I've used it many times. You can buy cheesecloth in some better supermarkets (ask the staff) and definitely at any Bed Bath and Beyond. It is a very thin muslin-like fabric -- using a couple of layers it will allow you to drain most of the water out of your yogurt while keeping the solids in. You can also find cheesecloth by the yard at some fabric shops. It should be relatively cheap as you can't reuse it too many times. (If I buy the packaged ones I just cut as large a piece as I need, makes it go farther.)

My attempts to prepare home-made hummos were always a failure..I mean it would taste ok, but not what I expect (a bit grainy and lacks the kick that restaurnt-prepared hummos has).. I followed a recipe from an arabic cookbook (chef Ramzi)

I find you really have to play it by ear a little. It depends on whether you are using canned or dried hummus to start with. I find that cans are easiest. With the dried stuff I really have to make sure I cook it for a long time. You may also add extra water, olive oil or lemon to the blender to smooth it out. I like to taste as I go along.

How come you have tiles in your oven ( :raz: ok I might not be as knowledgable as you guys are when it comes to the kitchen..but I promise you, I want to learn..)

You can use either tiles or a big pizza stone. It makes for crustier breads, and it also evens out the temperature in the oven. Also, when you open the oven door, it keeps you from losing too much heat. Every serious baker on eGullet probably has one of these at this point -- it is like a cult here :wink:

Hope that takes care of at least a couple! :smile:

Edit: I should add, these are unglazed quarry tiles that you can get at home depot.

Edited by Behemoth (log)

Hi Nora. Since Elie hasn't responded yet maybe I can help a little:

Thank you Behemoth!! thats very kind of you..and sure is a lot of help..now I can claim I know lots about baking :wink: ..

Today I was so excited about trying the meat fatayer ..I got all the ingredients..prepared the meat filling and just as I was about to make my first bread dough ever..I realized that I dont have the "roller" !!!:is that what its called ?! (the one you roll the dough with)...I was sooo frustrated!!

So, to cut the story short (well, it actually ends there)..filling in the fridge, experiment on hold till tomorow..

night night..

Today I was so excited about trying the meat fatayer ..I got all the ingredients..prepared the meat filling and just as I was about to make my first bread dough ever..I realized that I dont have the "roller" !!!:is that what its called ?! (the one you roll the dough with)...I was sooo frustrated!!

So, to cut the story short (well, it actually ends there)..filling in the fridge, experiment on hold till tomorow..

Do you have an empty wine bottle lying around?

Edited by Behemoth (log)

ok..so here's the update :blink: !

all went picture perfect until after i finished cutting the dough ..i thought the circles were too small so i decided to repeat, mixed them all back together and things got from bad to worse, the dough was hardening..i needed double the force to roll, my daughter was pulling on my pants that she wanted her yamy yamy (food)..so i gave her dinner and im feeling mybe my dough is hardening under the halogen light on the kitchen table (turned it off)...patience running low..the resultant pies looked more like funny creatures from the moon!

I place them in oven (lower rack, temp 375) and when i sneaked a peak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: half were opened (too much meat, or slot too small) so i thought ..its ok :wacko: ..and after another 5 minutes , i checked again..they were burnt on one side and still not done on other!!!. :sad:

My conclusion: too much filling, too much time delay, oven too hot, use upper rack. Life is great :biggrin: and next time will be better

Actually, Im having one at the moment, mmmm, as lara would say: yamy yamy :laugh:

Edited by Nora (log)

Nora-

Welcome to the egullet Society, sorry i did not notice your question till now. Next time feel free to PM or email me if you need to. However, I really do not have much to add to what Behemoth already said, all was great advice.

Sorry about your meat pies. Stuff like that needs a little practice. Next time if the circles are too small, just put in less filling.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 2 years later...
Elli, could you please give some more recipes? shawarma is great and so hard to make I know I will never get the real thing but, anything similar would be great!!!PLEASE!!!

Thanks

Monthannah-

Let me point you to 2 threads in the Middle East Forum first. You can find those threads by using th search function and look for 'shawarma' or 'Kenafi'...

This thread is about Shawarma and I do not remember if we have a recipe in there or not, but read through it and see what you can learn. Making it at home is not easy, but you can come close to the restaurant quality. I'll PM you my recipe for Shawrama from my mom if you like. It's good, but again it is not the same as the restaurant.

This thread is about Kenafi with cheese. I belioeve it'll have everything you need to make ChefCrash's awsome recipe. If you have any questions or comments though, feel free to post them there for everyone's benefit.

Kristin-

I am from north Lebanon, Akkar originally. I went to highschool in Beirut.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 2 weeks later...

I spent ten days in Kuwait last year and, although I've eaten plenty of Americanized Lebanese food (which I love), I had no idea how utterly over-the-top amazing real Lebanese food truly is (I wonder how I'll feel about it if I ever get to Lebanon!)

I fell in love with Karabige and several other desserts. Can you recommend a cookbook, website recipe...anything that might come close to an authentic recipe?

Thanks so much, Elie.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

FoodMan, could you estimate how long you grill your Kefta?

Thanks, Jim

Jim-

I buy trusted quality meat or grind it myself and treat it like a burger. So, I like it cooked medium. Usually the fattier the meat, the more coking it can withstand. So it's up to you. Another key here is not to pack it too tight or it will turn rubbery, again just like a burger patty.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I spent ten days in Kuwait last year and, although I've eaten plenty of Americanized Lebanese food (which I love), I had no idea how utterly over-the-top amazing real Lebanese food truly is (I wonder how I'll feel about it if I ever get to Lebanon!)

I fell in love with Karabige and several other desserts.  Can you recommend a cookbook, website recipe...anything that might come close to an authentic recipe?

Thanks so much, Elie.

Not sure if I have an english language book with Karabige recipe in it. I'll have to get back to you on that.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Jim-

I buy trusted quality meat or grind it myself and treat it like a burger. So, I like it cooked medium. Usually the fattier the meat, the more coking it can withstand. So it's up to you. Another key here is not to pack it too tight or it will turn rubbery, again just like a burger patty.

Thanks Elie, I'm going to try them this weekend.

• 7 months later...

Hi there,

Many years ago I had an experience of a wonderfull hummus that my friend's mother made. I never asked her the receipe and unfortunately she passed away since. Her hummus was so different from all the version we find in Lebanese restaurants.

I remember that she told me then it was a typicall Lebanese hummus recipe from Lebanon. I'm would love to find this taste back. All I remember is that the flavors of the chickpeas were dominant. I tried many times to do it myself with different quantities of tahini or garlic but never was able to get it the way I ate it.

Would love to have a typicall Lebanese Hummus recipe.

thanks

Mike

http://30sr30s.blogspot.com/

We Tried It, We Liked It, It's Showtime

I remember that she told me then it was a typicall Lebanese hummus recipe from Lebanon. I'm would love to find this taste back. All I remember is that the flavors of the chickpeas were dominant. I tried many times to do it myself with different quantities of tahini or garlic but never was able to get it the way I ate it.

Would love to have a typicall Lebanese Hummus recipe.

thanks

Mike

Mike, you should consider trying different brands of tahini. I find it makes quite a difference.

Also Lebanese friends of mine use quite a lot of lemon/lime juice. More than one might think.

Just thought I'd throw out a couple more factors to test out. Happy testing.

Mike, you should consider trying different brands of tahini. I find it makes quite a difference.

Also Lebanese friends of mine use quite a lot of lemon/lime juice. More than one might think. 

That's one thing I always thought it was a mistake but indeed some recipes mention to put lots of lemon juice. My tries never ended in a good results for my taste, it was to lemony. As for tahini, I did try a few brands. thanks for the input.

Edited by 30 SECONDS REVIEW (log)

http://30sr30s.blogspot.com/

We Tried It, We Liked It, It's Showtime

That's one thing I always thought it was a mistake but indeed some recipes mention to put lots of lemon juice. My tries never ended in a good results for my taste, it was to lemony. As for tahini, I did try a few brands. thanks for the input.

30sr-

I agree that Lebanese hummus should have a healthy amount of both garlic and lemon juice. However, what most folks miss and never seem to figure out is that it also needs Cumin! I never make it without it. I bet that is what yours is missing. Also, to loosen it up a bit, use some of the chickpeas cooking water (or some of the liquid from the can if you are using canned--which are great BTW).

Hope this helps.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Hi Elie,

Wonderful as always. I wonder how you would feel introducing your friends to the wines of Lebanon, made from truly ancient grape varieties? The styles are something they might learn to love, and the grapes certainly are of extreme historical, cultural, botanical/oenological significance. The persistence of the winemakers' craft and of vineyards through all the difficult history of the area is surely a tribute to Lebanon. Perhaps by buying more of these wines, people can support the farmers of the land in very real ways and preserve the vineyards for the future.

Try the following proportions, they came originally from Claudia Roden's Complete Middle Eastern food and have been modified by experimentation since.

One can chickpeas (including water from can)

Juice of 2-2.5 lemons, or to taste

2-3 cloves garlic, crushed

Salt

I usually put all these ingredients in a blender and process until it is very smooth then drizzle in Tahini gradually until it gets a texture like thick cream.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog