• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Autumnal Food

Kim WB

Well, it seems like the last of the tomatos and peaches are hitting the farmer's markets here on the East coast. ARe you lamenting the passage of summer produce?

Personally, I prefer the signs of Fall: the first real McIntosh beats the first ripe Peach, root vegetables beat a tomato, and soups and roasted dinners beats salads and grilled food anytime. Give me brussel sprouts, squashes, and red meat. Yeah, grilled fish and vegetables are tasty, but dark beer and Red wine beats rum drinks and Prosecco any time.

IMHO. of course.

I am a Gulf Coast creature and I love the soft feel of the humid tropical air. I like to hang out outside in the evening, a cool drink in hand and let the air hug me. That is how it feels, like a soft mantle of a feather bed. I always miss that when fall finally arrives here. I endure fall and winter to wait for the return of my soft air and spectacular thunderstorms.

But I do like the change in what I cook. I love pots of things... warming stews, pots of beans, chili, you get the idea. That makes the arrival of cooler and crisper air with a cold front bearable to me. I still dream of my soft air, but the food is a compensation.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Brussel sprouts ... if only my family shared my passion. Unbelievable as it may sound, they've been my favourite veggie since childhood. Must be genetic as the Spawn likes them too (although not as much as she should).

Yeah, I think I'm ready for fall ...

I started to come to terms with the change of the seasons last week, when I finally gave in and bought some apples.

I love the summer. I'm one of those people who gets cold when the weather drops below 68. And the coming autumn reminds me that soon my toes and fingers will be numb. :sad: The weather changing means a change in the way I cook. I go from simple preparations which show off the flavors of the season to longer cooked, heartier meals. My oven, which hasn't been turned on much the past 3 months will begin to be used again. Plus, I'll begin to eat more meat.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Roasted turnips and rutabaga and parsnips and potatoes and celery root with double-smoked bacon and garlic...

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Brussel sprouts are not welcome at my house, either. I've never roasted them, though. Maybe that would get them back on the list of acceptable vegetables.

I am so ready for fall foods. It is the best time of year for cooking. The ingredients are right up my alley (root veggies, all varieties of allium, game). The cooking methods are my favorites, too (roasting, braising).

Is anyone doing a celebratory fall menu this weekend?

Most acceptable is my house is a warm salad of brussels sprouts, mandarin oranges and toasted walnuts in a sweet-sour dressing. Better get out the grocery list.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I kind of equate braising with smoking. I do both. The common thread being long slow cooking. For some absurd reason, smoking (BBQing) seems to be associated with summer. Whereas braising seems to be a winter thing. I dunno. I just like it all.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Is anyone doing a celebratory fall menu this weekend?

Yes, we're celebrating my dad's birthday this Sunday. Thinking of framing the meal with apples -- maybe finishing with a Tarte Tatin. But I don't know what to do as a main dish. I just did a pork roast so I'm not in the mood for that. Pot au feu, maybe (more winter than fall, I guess...).

Ideas?

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

I never know if it's the end of summer or the beginning of fall that makes me so happy. I enjoy a ripe tomato as much as anyone (but they haven't been great in VA this year) but I really don't like summer. Way too damn hot for me.

Fall is crisp yet sunny and still provides enough fresh produce to cook up fantastic meals. It makes me so happy to have the kitchen doors and windows open (no A/C, woohoo) while cooking up some good roasts w/ mashed rutabagas. It's so great to be able to turn the oven on again.

Plus, it's one step closer to ski season.

I'll certainly miss the tomatoes, but that's ALL I'll miss about sticky, sweaty, gross summer. Bleh.

I roasted my first chicken this week, and will be making soup with the leftovers this weekend. I can hardly wait to make an apple pie, some mashed potatoes, pork roast, etc. Autumn is perfect for comfort foods as well, like baked mac & cheese! And tailgating foods like brats, chili, etc.050.gif

Autumn is my favorite season, I love the chill in the air, donning a sweater, heading out on a crisp Sunday morning for coffee and a paper, the leaves...

Sherri A. Jackson

:biggrin:

Risotto, with wild mushrooms, and a handful of spinach tossed in to wilt at the end.

Pork tenderloin, rubbed with salt and pepper and thyme, stuffed with prunes and apricots marinated overnight in cognac, and roasted.

Yeah...brussels sprouts. Little ones, halved and steamed, and buttered.

Chicken thighs and thinly sliced scallions, sauteed with white wine and tarragon. Steamed green beans on the side.

Slab of ham, sprinkled with dry mustard, allspice, pepper, and brown sugar, baked in milk to cover. (Astonishingly trayf, on this Erev Rash Hashonah; on the other hand, astonishingly good.)

Son of a gun: I'm more ready than I thought I was for this season.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

I saw the Bittman piece. Pork shoulder in coconut milk with Thai seasonings. I'm going to do something like that. But it did make me want to do milk braised pork again first. (It's not really a Hazan thing but an old Italian thing. My Welash-Italian mama used to do it.)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I'm ready to say goodbye to THIS summer. A crappy, rainy spring led to a hot, yucky, rainy summer, then Hurrican Isabel...ENOUGH!!!!

Give me my Redskins on an October afternoon, cooking something good like chili & cornbread, lentil soup & popovers, pork loin & roasted root veggies, hot Italian sausage & roasted peppers a la Lidia & foccaccia, white cheddar-beer soup with country ham crunchies...

The list is endless.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I started to come to terms with the change of the seasons last week, when I finally gave in and bought some apples.

I love the summer.  I'm one of those people who gets cold when the weather drops below 68.  And the coming autumn reminds me that soon my toes and fingers will be numb.  :sad:  The weather changing means a change in the way I cook.  I go from simple preparations which show off the flavors of the season to longer cooked, heartier meals.  My oven, which hasn't been turned on much the past 3 months will begin to be used again.  Plus, I'll begin to eat more meat.

Ah, a kindred spirit. Every September-April, I wonder why I live in MN.

I have not given in and bought apples, but did use the oven last night.

Yes, heartier meals are in order, but I always miss the clean, simple summer food.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

The cooking is nice (fresh brussel sprouts stir-fried, then left alone for half a minute to char nicely at the bottom of the wok...yum), but what I'll really welcome are the persimmons, pomegranates, and chestnuts.