• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boston/Waltham Trip

sara

Hi

I'm spending a little time (two days, two nights) in the Boston area in October. Looking for lunch and dinner suggestions...I'm staying in Waltham, but will have a car. Specifications: I want local seafood, food I can't get here in Philly, and relatively low prices (no more than $20 entree)--also, all places need to offer at least a few vegetarian or seafood options. Thus far, I plan to have dinner at East Coast Grill b/c I hear they have a good raw bar, and lunch or dinner at the Porter Square Exchange, since I've been told I can get good soba, ramen, etc, which I can't get in Philly.

A good brunch place in Waltham would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Porter Square exchange is a really fun place. If you have enough time, that whole section of Mass Ave between Harvard Sq and Porter Sq is fun to walk along -- lots of little funky stores and neighborhood places.

Main and Moody Streets in Waltham are packed with restaurants Click here . There's a great Italian restaurant, Il Capriccio, on Main St. Expensive, but wonderful food and the co-owner/sommelier, Jeannie Rogers, is highly respected. The link may help you decide on a brunch place. Consider checking out Watertown and Newton, also. There's a fabulous place on Lincoln St. in Newton Highlands, Bakers' Best. It's part cafe, part gourmet take-out, excellent weekend brunch fare though you may have a bit of a wait.

Taqueria Mexico at 24 Charles St., just off Moody is a delightful and very inexpensive Mexican restaurant. There are two BBQ restaurants on Moody, Jake and Earl's, and Bison County. Both are good, but the music (Blues) played at Jake's is better. The East Coast Grill in Cambridge is great, but parking is a nightmare. The Blue Room at 1 Kendall Sq. in Cambridge is excellent and has a nearby parking garage. Any of the Legal Seafood restaurants will have a raw bar. The food is of high quality but I think they are very pricey.

Jim

My favorite place is Waltham is the Tuscan Grill. Entrees top out at about $18, including specials, and you can combine half-orders of their wonderful pastas for even more variety. Their cooking style is fresh and flavorful, many things are grilled over various woods, and accompanied by creative sides. Of all the italian places in Boston, I feel they really do capture the Tuscan mindset. In addition to three or so fish choices on the seasonally-changing menu, there are usually a few specials; there are always veggie options as well (as a pesco-tarian, it's important or me, too...)