• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stop eating so damn many crab legs!

guajolote

Yeah, $10 is the ultimate cheap eats. $20 is very do-able but $80 per person is starting on the higher end of things. (inclusive of vino, but a cheap dinner with an outrageously over priced bottle of wine happens too somtimes, but not on purpose, but only by whim.)

Sorry Jin, don't want to gang up. Price, geographic locale and perspective and all....

Decent and damn good tasting Oregon Pinot Noir and two lovely fresh dungies graced our table last night for me and me mum and we got out under $130 in Seattle.

Edited by beans (log)

Sorry Jin, don't want to gang up.  Price, geographic locale and perspective and all....

i don't think there's any ganging up. i just think that people who eat daily in NYC would be more able to define "cheap" and "mid-range" than someone who doesn't. and i'm surprised that we need to discuss it.

although, given the subject, i'll suggest that eating at RL with wine will cost at least 40 bucks per head.

Edited by tommy (log)

although, given the subject, i'll suggest that eating at RL with wine will cost at least 40 bucks per head.

That is generous too. Given all considerations.

Actually, I don't factor in the cost of a bottle of wine. Midwestern or Pacific Northwest my views may be, I go by entree price. Wine is wine and the world's prices are all out there. Being a bartender, I understand and gladly pay the price for decent sips, beit vino or otherwise.

i have a hard time delimiting entree prices that generally fall btwn 12 and 22 dollars. i'm not a bartender, but i look at the bill at the end of the meal.

i appreciate your perspective, although i don't find it particularly telling when discussing the cost of dinner in NYC, as non-drinkers can eat at jean-georges for 65.

Edited by tommy (log)

why tommy?

Dinner in Cleveburg or Seattle can't compare to that of NYC in quality, preparation or pricing? Hmmmm. I'll gladly cite Robert Parker or Michael Symon. Both of which I have had the pleasure of experiencing, meeting and chatting with as well as enjoying their art in creating and plating food for not such a bargain price.

But it is all cool.

oh beans, you're right.

I was talking about RL from my experience, which is the greater NYC area.

where was my head.

I understand cheap to be less than $40. Mid-range is about $80. High end around $150. For average per person, including wine.

How far off am I?

Is Olive Garden around $80 per person?

edit: who the fuck are Robert Parker and Michael Symon? do they have restaurants?

Edited by tommy (log)

They're awesome chefs and restauranteurs. Michael Symon, of Lola's, from the Soul of a Chef and well, Parker Bosley. Both Michael Ruhlman faves, as well as mine.

Cleveland is an old shoe. Comfortable to wear with many ethinic choices. Not Chicago, Detroit nor Pittsburgh or NYC. Cleveland actually, to one unnamed magazine, per capita, ate out near or more than NYC. We love our restaurants and eat out often.

And tommy, I'm hardly ever right....

edit to add: YIKES, I keep confusing Robert Parker and Parker Bosley only by name!!!!! I've been visiting WS forums... :blink: YIKES

Edited by beans (log)

Oh, they don't come cheap! Not that you are insinuating (sp?) that they are. I'll happily fork out the bucks for good eats, and, good drinks, so I may be an exception.

Crap. Anyone remember this?

I was the lucky recipient of the highest guest check -- the payee and not the payer. I was treated to a $525 dessert course at Marlin's (now closed, I wonder what Chef Marlin is doing these days....). We had creme brulee and a bowl of fresh berries with an ancient Warre's vintage port. OMG! I did forget the year, but it was in the 75+ year old range and our gracious chef owner himself poured it for us. What a birthday present and an amazing combination. Too bad it wasn't love -- that is the poor schmuck who footed the bill. (hee hee)

I forgot what the bill came to for the dinner and wine at Morton's before we left and went to Marlin's.

Ummmm. Errrrrrr. Well, good food is good food, folks.

Okay, thanks.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Canadian for NYC places.

So really, convert $80 Can to $1.50 US.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

It most certainly is *not* Alaskan King Crab.  It is mushy, skinny snow crab legs.  Oh, btw, most crab and shrimp, at least in Alaska, are frozen in sea water.

I went to a Red Lobster some time back last Spring.  It was a reunion of sorts for some old employees and a previous gathering, a few years back, was at an Olive Garden (easily located, large party/group gatherings friendly, middle of the road in price/food).  In all honesty, the meals were not cheap and I was deilghted with the herbed fresh baked bisquits and baby lobster tails (langostinos probably) sauted and tossed with shallots, red bell peppers, garlic and carrots in an herbed butter sauce.  They were sweet, succulent little creatures!  Not rubbery or tough at all.  I was pleasantly surprised.  My old buddy had a baked Tilapia fillet that was mild and delicious.

Not that I'll choose to ever go back for dinner, unless of course those that are into planning our Opening Team reunions opt for the crusty, seafaring Red Lobster again!

Trust me, unfortunately, I've had worse at better restaurants....

As I mentioned, it was from one advertisement. Joe's Crab Shack seems to use Snow crab and Dungeness while Red Lobster uses both Snow and King. There may be other factors too. Like the area of the country etc.

I think the basic point is this guy under estimated how much people would eat.

Living hard will take its toll...