• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[PDX] BBQ...

I've got Austin in my travelocity fare watcher. As soon as it drops low enough, I'm off to meet a friend and do the famous Luling/Lockhart bbq. However, I've eaten some well-regarded Q in Texas and other places and Portland's can hold its own. I recently went to most of the places in Portland. The first I ever went to was Buster's and I was unimpressed. That was a while ago. Today I hit them again now that I've tried most of the others, and my impression is much the same. Here's a rundown:

Yam Yam's: NE Portland on MLK. The best. And they have a Sunday buffet. They even have very good sides. Good balance of flavor, tenderness, and moisture. I could go for a little more smokiness, but it's good.

Cannon's: NE Portland. This is probably my second pick, though I should try them more (and more, and more, and more). Good ribs that are smoky and tender and moist. A little fatty, maybe, but moist.

Campbell's: SE Portland near 82nd. Not as tender and juicy as I would like, but a good strong smoky flavor. Also a decent enough sit-down restaurant that can get quite a line. They always seem to be out of something when I go, too.

Reo's: Beaverton/Hillsboro. A bit inconsistent. Some pieces on a rack were excellent, falling off the bone tender with good flavor and moisture, but some were dry

Tennessee Reds: SE Portland. Not helped, imo, by being in a smoky bar, but on my one visit here I got it to go anyway. The flavor was off here. They're more tender and juicy than Campbell's, but the flavor is off. The sides, btw, were probably worse here than anywhere else.

Buster's Texas BBQ: A couple locations, though some have closed. The first times I had gone it was in Vancouver and off Sandy. Both of those have been closed, so maybe they weren't the best. Recently I went to the one in Gresham which was better. However, it's still not *good* bbq, just adequate. The flavor is lacking and their meats tend to be a little dry. The prices are decent, though, and they supply a decent sit-down atmosphere. But they might be my last choice still.

Any others I should try? Is Clay's any good? The Delta?

Keeping in mind that BBQ is a very personal thing but for me Texas does BBQ better than PDX. When I'm there I can't get enough. State Line, Salt Lick, I love them all. I think this is especially true of beef ribs and brisket which are my BBQ favs. I'm just talkin' meat here not side orders - I save my calories and appetite for the meat.

In PDX Campbell's is at the top of my list. I like Yams Yams as well - Cannon's is very inconsistent - I used to live very close to Cannon's and some nights it was good - some nights I didn't bother finishing it. Not sure why it was inconsistent or why it didn't work for me.

Does anyone remember Tom Brown - he did BBQ out of a van and boy do I miss him - that was some good BBQ.

The sign for Campbell's scares the hell out of me...so much we've never gone, even though we're out there at least once a month, the Tortas Gigantes truck always wins. Am I being ultra-sensitive or is it creepy? Who exactly is the intended audience for their sign?

regards,

trillium

I've got Austin in my travelocity fare watcher.  As soon as it drops low enough, I'm off to meet a friend and do the famous Luling/Lockhart bbq. 

I'm sure your friend already knows this but one of the Muellers just opened a place in Austin. It was the son of the current owner of Mueller's and I don't think dad was happy about him using the name.

I've heard he's making some good stuff but you have to get there early, if not at lunch, because he just stays open until he runs out of meat.

One of my friends was visiting there last week and they were closed by 6pm.

Rodney

Keeping in mind that BBQ is a very personal thing but for me Texas does BBQ better than PDX. When I'm there I can't get enough. State Line, Salt Lick, I love them all. I think this is especially true of beef ribs and brisket which are my BBQ favs. I'm just talkin' meat here not side orders - I save my calories and appetite for the meat.

In PDX Campbell's is at the top of my list. I like Yams Yams as well - Cannon's is very inconsistent - I used to live very close to Cannon's and some nights it was good - some nights I didn't bother finishing it. Not sure why it was inconsistent or why it didn't work for me.

I got in an argument recently on the Texas Chowhound site about Salt Lick. People were trying to say it was bad. It might not be their favorite or great bbq to their palate, but bad is ridiculous. Some of the best pork ribs I've ever had (they have a very good sauce, too, and I normally shy away from sauce).

I'm a pork ribs person. I don't much eat the sides, either. But if they come with it, I might as well try them. My wife usually eats my sides while I eat her Q. Part of the good thing about being a ribs person is that the extra fattiness cuts down on the inconsistency, but bbq, in general, is inconsistent even at the best of places. Maybe sometime when I go to Campbell's they'll actually have everything.

I'm sure your friend already knows this but one of the Muellers just opened a place in Austin. It was the son of the current owner of Mueller's and I don't think dad was happy about him using the name.

I've heard he's making some good stuff but you have to get there early, if not at lunch, because he just stays open until he runs out of meat.

One of my friends was visiting there last week and they were closed by 6pm.

This is actually very common in bbq places in Texas, even some chains. That's fine. As long as it keeps the prices low, I guess.

• 2 months later...

I wanted to revive this thread to say we found ourselves at Yam Yam's on Saturday night. A friend was visiting from out of town and was craving bbq so off we went. 3 of us split a full slab of pork ribs and a fried okra and macaroni and cheese side. The ribs were good, but I wish they'd spent a little more time with the bbq sauce on them, they get put on a plate and doused with sauce and then brought to your table. They had a nice smokey flavor and didn't have that awful fall of the bone thing going on from ribs being pre-cooked before they're smoked. One of my favorite places back in Chicago was run by a guy from Carolina and I loved how they smoked them and then warmed them on a grill while basting in the sauce, instead of the steam table approach that Yam Yam's uses. The sides rocked, I'm a big sucker for southern style mac and cheese and this was a great version. 2 other people got the dinner plates which I think is not the way to go. One was brisket, one was chicken, and the portions seemed kinda small. The sweet potato pie was also really good, nicely flavored with spices and a little lemon zest I'm guessing. I really want to go to the Sunday brunch, I guess they make a lot of things that aren't on the regular menu. On the way there we saw a grand opening sign that said "soul food" on it in big letters but I didn't see the name of the restaurant. Could be good.

The only other place I've been for southern/bbq is Delta Cafe out on Woodstock, which is more of a hipster version of southern food for Reedies. They have a little barrel smoker in the parking lot, but serve a lot more than ribs. The ribs the night we were there sucked, they were really dry, which is a bad sign, but our friends said the ones they had the last time were much better. The fried chicken I had was really good but I didn't like the sides so much. The mac and cheese was overpowered by the taste of dried herbs, which have no place in that dish! The fried okra was decent. They have an extensive and interesting cocktail list, but the one I tried sounded better on the menu than it turned out to be. Other people had better luck with theirs.

regards,

trillium

The Sterns (of "Road Food" fame) recently recommended a place I've never heard of, Reo's Ribs in Aloha (western 'burb, if you're not familiar with it). Link to it's mention on the Splendid Table site.

I've never been there, but it's pretty close to me and on my list of places to try.

Edited by Human Bean (log)

Hi folks,

Longtime Chowhound poster but eGullet lurker...finally remedied that, as you can see.

I went to Yam Yam's recently for the first time and I was disappointed. I ordered a rib dinner plate and I was apalled at the size of the serving for the price - pathetic, really. Four ribs and the 2 sides came in tiny containers smaller than dixie cups. The ribs were good, but not worth the price and though I agree that the mac and cheese is good, I could hardly tell because the serving was about 4 or 5 bites worth. The yams were tooth-achingly sweet. I want to try the Sunday brunch though because it looks like a better deal and the selection of foods sounds good. I'd also be willing to try it again on another night and order differently, staying away from the dinner plates.

I go to Campbell's if I want BBQ these days and I am never really disappointed. I usually get the brisket there, though, I think it's better than the ribs, though the pork ribs are good (not great). The sides are always very good - my faves are the black eyed peas and the cole slaw - and the servings are so generous for the money that I can never manage to eat dessert there. I try to get there before 6pm or there is usually a wait. They are closed Sundays and Mondays, FYI.

In a pinch, the rib tips at Cannon's (in the New Season's parking lot) are decent...most of the time.

I know lots of folks who LOVE the Delta Cafe. So many that I have been there twice, thinking that I must have missed something the first time around...that and to just give it another chance...everyone has an off night, no? My meal the second time was as bad or worse than the first time! First time I had those awful ribs and my now ex had the fried chicken. Didn't like either of 'em. Service sucked, everything was over-salted, bad experience all around. Second time had the meat loaf. They should call it rosemary loaf as that was all I could taste (and it seemed an odd herb to be taking over my meat loaf in a joint like this). Everything else wasn't too good either. I'm done now, not going back. Don't understand why it is so popular.

So has anyone been to the new Big Daddy's BBQ in the old At the Hop space on Hawthorne at SE 30th? I want to hear the scoop on this joint!

Whew, long first post, but I covered 3+ places... ;o)

Hi Jill-- Nice to see you here!

I was with a friend who originally hails from Oklahoma at Yam Yam's, and has spent quality time in the south eating bbq. She says that the dinners are never the way to do it, you always order a slab or two and side dishes seperately. A slab and 2 sides fed 3 very hungry people, we gave two away to other folks at the table and we took two ribs home (yes, I ate them for breakfast). You might keep that in mind if you ever end up back there, she was giving her partner grief about his insistance on having a dinner seperate from ours and he was sorry in the end.

I think we're in agreement on Delta Cafe, although my fried chicken was good when I was there. It's hard to mess up fried chicken unless you cook it ahead of time or don't keep the grease hot enough. I hated the dried herb taste the pervaded the sides. I'm out in Clackamas for cat food and Costco runs often enough that I'll give Campbell's a try, if only I can resist the torta truck. The sign freaked me out, as I've posted before, it seemed like a big ole sterotype, but I'll just shut my eyes and walk on in.

regards,

trillium

I lived in Texas for 30 years and I have never had bbq in Portland that is as good as good Texas bbq. There is plenty of mediocre bbq in Texas and Portland might be on par with some of that.

As for the great places in Texas like Kreuz, Smitty's, Coopers, and Muellers, Portland does not even come close. No comparison.

The problem is nobody is patient enough to do it right. It takes about 10 hrs to cook a brisket and about 5 hrs to cook ribs and there are no acceptable shortcuts.

Just my opinion

Rodney

Texas BBQ, though, especially the Lockart/Luling places you mention, means beef. I haven't had good brisket yet, just mediocre stuff. For me, though, it's all about pork ribs, especially fatty spareribs. And I think on that, Portland does pretty decent. Then again, I rarely try beef unless someone else gets it.

Texas BBQ, though, especially the Lockart/Luling places you mention, means beef. I haven't had good brisket yet, just mediocre stuff. For me, though, it's all about pork ribs, especially fatty spareribs. And I think on that, Portland does pretty decent. Then again, I rarely try beef unless someone else gets it.

I haven't had a rib in Portland that wasn't boiled first. Brisket may be the specialty but there are plenty of spareribs in central Texas.

Rodney

I used to travel alot in Texas and it is hard to beat their Q.

I've done brisket at home in my New Braunfel's smoker - bummer is getting up before 5:00 am to get it going as I agree it takes at least 10 hours - 14 is better.

Saw in the paper today a woman I worked with last year is opening up a place to be called Tucci's Q American Bar-B-Que on Russell in the old Doris' Cafe spot. Dinners starting 1-5-04 with lunches to follow. Probably worth checking out.

I used to travel alot in Texas and it is hard to beat their Q.

I've done brisket at home in my New Braunfel's smoker - bummer is getting up before 5:00 am to get it going as I agree it takes at least 10 hours - 14 is better.

Saw in the paper today a woman I worked with last year is opening up a place to be called Tucci's Q American Bar-B-Que on Russell in the old Doris' Cafe spot. Dinners starting 1-5-04 with lunches to follow. Probably worth checking out.

We tried last summer to find a New Braunfels Bandera smoker but everyone in Portland stopped carrying them. We finally ended up buying a 6' long 24" diameter steel pipe and started building our own. Its almost done now.

Thanks for the tip on the new spot. Can't wait to try it.

Rodney

I haven't had a rib in Portland that wasn't boiled first. Brisket may be the specialty but there are plenty of spareribs in central Texas.

And I'm just saying that my experience is that Portland's best pork ribs aren't that far off from what I've had in Texas.

• 4 weeks later...

The PortlandFood.org group is planning on BBQ next month. So far I think we're agreed on Campbell's and Yam Yam's, but I thought I'd check out a new contender today, Big Daddy's on Hawthorne.

It's in an old diner/hamburger place with cafeteria quality tables and chairs and the original stools at the counter. That's about as close to good bbq you're going to get here. And the only positive thing from my first trip were the attractive wait staff with en vogue short shirts and thick belts on low-waisted pants showing their back tattoos. Don't tell my wife. But if I wanted that, there's about one nudie bar for every man in Portland and the food's probably better.

Got a two-meat combo plate which comes with 2 sides for $11.95. Trying to stay on low-carb, I just got double corn bread to-go. They had several of the typical sides, though, like beans, collard greens, potato salad, etc. They have the basic meats as well -- pork ribs, brisket, pulled pork, sausage -- with a couple somewhat atypical selections like smoked turkey. I chose brisket and spare ribs. Both were bad. The brisket was tender, but it was dry and had little flavor. There was no noticeable smoke ring, nor much if any smoke flavor. There was not crust of any kind on the outer layer of the meat. Allegedly they smoke it for 12 hours. Honestly, you'd be better off with some smartly boiled meat in a flavored stock. The pork ribs weren't any better. Little of the fat on them had actually melted. I don't mind fatty spare ribs. I prefer them over baby back (they do have baby back here). But damn it, they should be moist, tender, and flavorful. These weren't any of these things. One part of the ribs were actually so dry it was like chewing left-over thin pork chops that have been sitting in the fridge for a couple days. Maybe not quite that bad, but close. And little flavor.

The sauces are okay. They have 4, a spicy "Texas", a smoky "Memphis", a sweet/mild, and a mustard sauce. All a little sweet for me, but at least they had flavor. And you needed them for these meats.

I guess one bright point might be that it looked like they served a decent burger and fries, but I didn't get that, so I can't comment. But they looked decent. I certainly would order that if I was forced there rather than the BBQ.

I'm usually reluctant to be harsh with a place, especially after one visit, but not this time. If I can do significantly better on a gas grill in my back yard, the BBQ place has problems.

People complain about Portland BBQ, especially more mediocre places like Reo's and Buster's, but until you've had BBQ from a place like this, you really haven't had bad BBQ. It's probably as important for perspective as eating at Lockart legends or Memphis meat temples.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW,

Best BBQ in Portland according to Citysearch voters:

1 Campbell's Bar-B-Q

2 Clay's Smokehouse Grill

3 Buster's Texas-Style Barbecue

4 Cannon's Rib Express

5 Tony Roma's

6 Outback Steakhouse

7 Reo's Ribs

8 Doris' Cafe

9 TK's Smokehouse & BBQ Co. --CLOSED

10 Yam Yam's Southern Barbeque

Editorial Winner

Cannon's Rib Express

Line up to take out smoky treats in the heart of Northeast.

Editorial Nominees

Clay's Smokehouse Grill

Doris' Cafe

Campbell's Bar-B-Q

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

More commentary on the portland food.org bbq crawl... I loved the potato salad and the coleslaw at Campbell's but the thing we had that stood out to me was the smoked turkey. That's something unique that's not on everyone's menu. I really enjoyed it. And my brother the Q freak made the comment that a lot of people do good ribs and good sauce but at Campbell's the sauce is custom made for their style of meat and compliments the meat so perfectly.

At Yam Yam's I loved the mac n cheese and the yams. The yams are great! Yes, they are sweet. Some of us like sweet. "Hi, I'm Pam...(group response "Hi, Pam!) I like sugar...." I also enjoy their catfish. It's not too fishy, crispy outside, moist inside. And I was told the 7-up cake was great. And I did enjoy the ribs because I'm one that doesn't care for fat and gristle. I like to be able to pick out just the meat and Yam Yam's ribs are meaty and easy to seperate the meat from the fat. Over all, it was a very good bbq crawl. A good time was had by all.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."