• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dissed again by Tom

Mark Sommelier

I too think that Tom does a good job at weeding and also of being on the spot.

And that Citronelle has gotten some ill-intentioned and undeserved smacks.

And that, dear Mark, such is the way of the world wide web. Yet you still don't have to take it.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Rochelle asked:

BTW, Mark, you must follow up on your comment about Citronelle's iced tea. What makes it the best in town?

Paradise Iced Tea has a subtle passionfruit flavor that makes me drink gallons of it every day. I love this stuff!

I am delighted to read this. That's the tea I make, acquired from Trader Joe's.

(Mark, keep your chin up. Five complaints a year? With that kind of volume? Be proud!)

Having just now read these reviews, I can't see why it is easier to assume that it is always the same person (or jerk) rather than a few different people experiencing the same phenomena, especially as Tom also apparently experienced this for himself.

I also have to say that the "Concerned Employee" response certainly didn't help your case and the attitude of that response would put off as many people as the negative reviews.

I'm not wanting to be negative - I have yet to visit your restaurant - just to point out that it isn't always the best policy to shoot the messenger (or to assume that it's because they're low class rubes only worthy of eating Cheeze in a box).

Bottom line is you always have to take these reviews with a pinch of salt. The good ones as well as the bad ones. I'm sure there are as many good reviews posted by interested parties as bad ones posted by competition or people with an "axe to grind".

Dear theakston,

Thanks for your response. You are right, the legitimate, published kudos far outnumber the petty, vicious jibes. My favorite recent one was in Food and Wine magazine: "Best place to bring a wine snob". :laugh:

Mark

I'm a well travelled customer who has a sister that has been in the industry for twenty five years. I also worked as a waiter when I was much younger (I'm 56 today) while going to college and today know a number of people well who own and/or manage restaurants at all levels around the U. S. I also have reviewed restaurants for a trade publication in my industry. Having said all this I believe that I have seen both sides, perhaps not as fully as some, but enough to have a fundamental understanding that some customers want a great deal more power and influence than they have a right to.