• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Infrared broilers

Nick

My new Amana with infrared broiler is now hooked up and I'm hoping to try it out this weekend with a decent steak - I'll probably start with a short cut rather than blow a really good piece of meat on my first try. My reason for this trepidation is that a friend of mine has told me (after some experience) that the infrared is much hotter than a regular broiler and will nearly destroy anything when the rack is positioned in the top one or two slots that are usually used when broiling.

Is this true? Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Although it depends on the strength of the broiler (residential infrared broilers aren't as powerful as the ones used in restaurants, and yours probably isn't as powerful as one on a residential Viking) and the distance of the rack from the element (which follows some kind of steep curve), in general you can expect any broiler that bothers to call itself an infrared broiler to be pretty powerful relative to a standard old-style broiler. But "nearly destroy anything when the rack is positioned in the top one or two slots that are usually used when broiling"? Not likely. It's more like what you'd expect from a charcoal grill, except with the heat coming from the top. But I do think it makes sense to learn the properties of your particular broiler by experimenting on lesser products at first. Hamburgers are good test cases because their cost is so low and they taste good even if you screw them up, and also you'll want to experiment with melting cheese so that it browns without burning.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

My recommendation for you to become familiar with your broilers capabilities is to do as i've always done. Everytime we'd show a cook experienced with Regular underfire broilers, or flame, charcoal type broilers to familarize them with the heat follows: NOTHING IS BETTER THEN "WHITE BREAD". Simply taking the bread and putting it at the different burner levels while watching how long it takes to toast, plus observing the deapth of the heat, into the toast. It's quick, teaches respect, not messy. After you've tried that, then follow with the Fat Guy's recommendations. Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

My parents have one of those Amana's and I can certainly tell you that they are hot as Hades....

you're fine with it on the top two racks, but keep an eye on it...

and to give my two cents I think a broiled steak is the wrong approach...I have never been satisfied with the results...

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

Thanks for the replies. Wesza, that's a good common sense idea. That's how I'll start. Bicycle - if I'm cooking inside I generally prefer to pan fry my steaks, but I've heard that infrared gives really good results. FG, the "nearly destroy" was a from a friend of mine who was for the first time broiling salmon under an infrared. He was shocked by the heat it generated.

PS.. I wouldn't own a Viking if you gave it to me. Dacor would be a different matter. Amana was all I could afford.

Thanks Nick: I was part of the first professional foodservice team that tested the Infra Red Underfire Broilers introduced prior to the NY Worlds Fair in the "Gas Pavillion Restaurant". The original demonstrations provided to show how fat the worked, were actually done with toast. For your use at home i'd recomment starting at the farthest distance from the heat source, as the infra red heat often will penetrate better, with a thicker cut that way. If your cooking closer and wish a more charred surface, then make sure to keep rotating the meat, to permit the jucies to be more evenly retained.

One thing always consider removing your items being broiled away from the heat source and allow them to rest and set, turning often, for the juices to move around inside the meat. Then return to heat and finish cooking. Always use a good set of tongs to move anything your broiling. 1st for safety, then for not breaking the surface of what your broiling, keeping the juices intact and finally as you become more experienced using tongs you will learn to be able thru pressure to know the degree of doneness for anything your broiling including chicken.

Just as a sidebar. When we introducded the Infra Red Broilers, we received complaints about not serving any peanut butter or jelly.

When we intrroduced "Micro Wave", cooking with the "Rada Range", by Raython, it was considered more interesting at the NY Restaurant Show, as the two items we cooked in paper plates were 8 oz. Whole, dressed "Rainbow Trout", and "Baked Potatoes", with nothing but plastic forks. There were long lines of Restaurant Professionals, overwhelmed and awed by the demonstration. It was difficult to keep them moving along. Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.