• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L.A. Ideas

Foodie-Girl

Well, you've all been great in helping me with San Francisco/Sonoma....Confirmed my thoughts that nothing new has sprouted up in Burbank...but now I need an L.A. restaurant.

We're meeting up with friends who live on Mulholland Drive...so anything in Hollywood, West Hollywood is an easy drive.

Haven't been to L.A. in awhile but love Spago and that sort of cooking...Any thoughts? THANKS !!!!

charcoop@yahoo.com

Have you tried the Stinking Rose on La Cienega in Beverly Hills...Great garlic themed place....Or you could check out Trader Vics....The Lobster at the Santa Monica Pier...or for a good steak with a view, the Chart House in Redondo Beach. the Proud Bird is kinda neat and you can watch the planes come into LAX..they have a great collection of vintage planes as well. The Ports of Call at the port is also nice with a great view of the ships as they leave.

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Have you tried the Stinking Rose on La Cienega in Beverly Hills.

Is the stinking rose any good? There is one in SF that I've never had any interest in visiting. It seems like a shithole tourist trap, but maybe I'm wrong.

Is the stinking rose any good? There is one in SF that I've never had any interest in visiting. It seems like a shithole tourist trap, but maybe I'm wrong.

I liked it the few times I have eaten lunch there. Its got a neat atmosphere with little tents inside..Plus the 40 clove chicken and the pork chops are great....and a great slow roasted bulb of garlic with some great bad really hits the spot.

The Hungry Detective

Charcoop, I read your other thread, and given what restaurants you seem to be interested in, here are a few places to consider in the general area you have outlined. If your friends live in town, they'll probably be able to refine your eventual list.

FWIW, I have been to and have enjoyed

Campanile - superior

Patina - somewhat more of a classic emphasis, but really nice

Grace - hot spot status, but really delicious, ambitious food. disclaimer: I have a Neal Fraser bias.

I have not been to, but am guessing they are what you are interested in

Sona

Lucques

Bastide

AOC - more of an enoteca - less formal

Good luck. I'd be interested in hearing your comments after your trip.

~Tad

Have you tried the Stinking Rose on La Cienega in Beverly Hills...Great garlic themed place....Or you could check out Trader Vics....The Lobster at the Santa Monica Pier...or for a good steak with a view, the Chart House in Redondo Beach. the Proud Bird is kinda neat and you can watch the planes come into LAX..they have a great collection of vintage planes as well. The Ports of Call  at the port is also nice with a great view of the ships as they leave.

With all due respects to your suggestions... uh... please, no. On any of them.

The Stinking Rose is a chain and a pretty mediocre one with over-cooked meat, long waits, and unexceptional service. Their ONE redeeming quality is their Bagna Cauda appetizer.

Trader Vic's -- well, maybe thirty years ago, but way past its prime.

Chart House? Another chain. If you want a good steak, head towards Morton's, Ruths Chris, or Nick & Stef's -- all will give you a better cut of meat with more interesting sides.

The Proud Bird is a dive hang-out for local pilots and people who want to spend too much money on mediocre Eggs Benedict on Sundays.

The Ports of Call also is past its prime -- about ten years ago it was a lovely but has long since been considered a dive.

Sorry. Consider FoodZealot's selection or search for recent discussion as there have been many (especially for Redondo, Torrance, & Gardena) for exceptional Japanese.

Foodzealot/Carolyn....I think we're on the right track...and will definitely run a couple ideas past my friends. They know all the good places but wanted to know our thoughts.

Campanile...We were there the first month it opened (used to live in CA). Yeah, great stuff. Also to Patina...very esoteric cooking..loved it.

I'm actually reading up on the last four you mentioned...Many we know in LA go to AOC so that's on the list. Sona sounds interesting as do the others.

A couple more days of research and I'll narrow it to two and let my friends voice their opinions.

The tough part of LA restaurants has always been the noise level. We just call the SCREAMERS...LOL.

A few rare exceptions like L'Orangerie...but not too many. So, if any on your list are a bit more quiet, that would be a consideration. We haven't seen our friends in several months...be nice to talk a little. Best food is still very important though.

Thanks...

That's the general consensus.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Foodzealot/Carolyn....I think we're on the right track...and will definitely run a couple ideas past my friends.  They know all the good places but wanted to know our thoughts.

Campanile...We were there the first month it opened (used to live in CA).  Yeah, great stuff.  Also to Patina...very esoteric cooking..loved it.

I'm actually reading up on the last four you mentioned...Many we know in LA go to AOC so that's on the list.  Sona sounds interesting as do the others.

A couple more days of research and I'll narrow it to two and let my friends voice their opinions.

The tough part of LA restaurants has always been the noise level.  We just call the SCREAMERS...LOL.

A few rare exceptions like L'Orangerie...but not too many.  So, if any on your list are a bit more quiet, that would be a consideration.  We haven't seen our friends in several months...be nice to talk a little.  Best food is still very important though.

Thanks...

FoodZealot is definitely right on the places with the most buzz. L'Orangerie has had ups and downs. Depends on who the current chef is and what he's doing. Meanwhile some other picks to consider are Josie and La Cachette, neither of which is noisy but both very good. Josie, incidentally, has free corkage Mondays. If you just want to let your hair down and enjoy some good food, you might check out what Monkeymay's doing at North on Sunset near Crescent Heights.

anyone hear anything more on hans rockenwagner? i hear he remodeled his place "rockenwagner". i was impressed visually by his stuff (but that was in the mid 90's) when his restaurant was newer. he seems to be a little under-rated. anyone?!

p.s. i think it is in santa monica

Have you tried the Stinking Rose on La Cienega in Beverly Hills...Great garlic themed place....Or you could check out Trader Vics....The Lobster at the Santa Monica Pier...or for a good steak with a view, the Chart House in Redondo Beach. the Proud Bird is kinda neat and you can watch the planes come into LAX..they have a great collection of vintage planes as well. The Ports of Call  at the port is also nice with a great view of the ships as they leave.

With all due respects to your suggestions... uh... please, no. On any of them.

The Stinking Rose is a chain and a pretty mediocre one with over-cooked meat, long waits, and unexceptional service. Their ONE redeeming quality is their Bagna Cauda appetizer.

Chart House? Another chain. If you want a good steak, head towards Morton's, Ruths Chris, or Nick & Stef's -- all will give you a better cut of meat with more interesting sides.

The Proud Bird is a dive hang-out for local pilots and people who want to spend too much money on mediocre Eggs Benedict on Sundays.

The Ports of Call also is past its prime -- about ten years ago it was a lovely but has long since been considered a dive.

Sorry. Consider FoodZealot's selection or search for recent discussion as there have been many (especially for Redondo, Torrance, & Gardena) for exceptional Japanese.

Well excuse me!!! I guess I must not have any taste!...I also do not have a fortune to spend on dining out, my suggestions were all easy to get to with good atmosphese's and views...

I did not know that Stinking Rose is a chain...I have only been to the one in Beverly Hills. the Chart House in Redondo has an awesome view with a great salad bar and pretty decent food...I have only had one bad meal at the Ports of call...But enjoyed many nice meals with my family there, eating a decent meal for a reasonable price....

I was also going to suggest the theme restaurant at LAX.....Its something different that you can talk about...Kinda Jetsons like.....but I guess that is not sophisticated for many....

Isnt there a food snob thread going around on the board right now?

I need a drink....

The Hungry Detective

Isnt there a food snob thread going around on the board right now?

I need a drink....

well, who didn't see that one coming...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

The tough part of LA restaurants has always been the noise level.  We just call the SCREAMERS...LOL.

Sona has a very food-centered vibe, and is usually quiet. I love the food. It is very personal, very interesting. There are sometimes misses, but it all seems worth it in the end. And the desserts are wonderful! I am no wine expert, but I think they have some trouble in that area. I have had 2 tasting dinners there with paired wines, which were good but not really on par with the food, IMO. I have heard that the list is good; next time we will chose our own wines. Here is a Sona thread.

AOC is much more of a scene, and can get loud. It is sophisticated (bith the food and the vibe), but still casual and fun. The food is boldly flavored, Mediterranean style with an emphasis on cheeses and charcuterie, with tapas-sized portions and many wines by the glass. I like the food very much, escecially the parmesan-stuffed dates wrapped in bacon and grilled. (bacon.....)

The same chef and manager also run Lucques, which is a bit more grown up. I have had some good meals there, but lately I think they are paying attention to AOC and Lucques is suffering a little.

Grace is fun, too, and a bit of a scene. I had one good/very good meal there. But the level of cooking at Sona is more subtle and more carefully considered, IMO.

I also have to recommend Mori Sushi on Pico at Gateway. I just had another MIND BLOWING omakase dinner there on Wednesday night. Mori is a master. I have raved about this place on a few threads, here is one.

I have not yet been to Alex or Bastide, two of LA's other new "fine dining" spots. I have heard mixed things about both.

Re: Rockenwagner, I also think he is underrated. I have not been the the restaurant on Main St. in a while, but I used to enjoy it when I lived in Santa Monica. I think the Marina Del Rey location Roc, closed. It was a very casual place, really wild decor and a pizza/salad influence.

Best of luck in picking a spot!

Thanks for all the great suggestions....I only wish we had more time in LA but it's a quick stop before the major eating extravaganza in Northern California.

Our friends are semi-regulars at Patina and really want to take us there...so it seems that will be the place.

I've only been there once (years ago)...but if anyone has thoughts on what to order (or avoid) that info. would be welcome.

Thanks so much !!!

Our friends are semi-regulars at Patina and really want to take us there...so it seems that will be the place.

I've only been there once (years ago)...but if anyone has thoughts on what to order (or avoid) that info. would be welcome.

I hope your going soon -- the restaurant at its current location is closing Oct. 18 (before reopening Oct. 28 at the new Disney Concert Hall downtown). Here's an article about it from today's L.A. Times:

L.A Times article re Patina

Um, I don't think so! Trader Vic's is still uber-cool.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

OK, I spoke with our friends (who also read the LA Times article) and I think we're going to re-group.

MsRamsey....what sayyou for a second choice. Remember...great food..but not a screaming scene...top-notch service...and somewhat close to Hollywood/West L.A.

Sorry, Char. I know nothing about LA restaurants. I only know that I love tiki lounges and that I will defend Trader Vic's with a flaming pu-pu platter!

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Sona has a very food-centered vibe, and is usually quiet. I love the food. It is very personal, very interesting. There are sometimes misses, but it all seems worth it in the end. And the desserts are wonderful! I am no wine expert, but I think they have some trouble in that area. I have had 2 tasting dinners there with paired wines, which were good but not really on par with the food, IMO. I have heard that the list is good; next time we will chose our own wines. Here is a Sona thread.

AOC is much more of a scene, and can get loud. It is sophisticated (bith the food and the vibe), but still casual and fun. The food is boldly flavored, Mediterranean style with an emphasis on cheeses and charcuterie, with tapas-sized portions and many wines by the glass. I like the food very much, escecially the parmesan-stuffed dates wrapped in bacon and grilled. (bacon.....)

The same chef and manager also run Lucques, which is a bit more grown up. I have had some good meals there, but lately I think they are paying attention to AOC and Lucques is suffering a little.

Grace is fun, too, and a bit of a scene. I had one good/very good meal there. But the level of cooking at Sona is more subtle and more carefully considered, IMO.

I also have to recommend Mori Sushi on Pico at Gateway. I just had another MIND BLOWING omakase dinner there on Wednesday night. Mori is a master. I have raved about this place on a few threads, here is one.

I have not yet been to Alex or Bastide, two of LA's other new "fine dining" spots. I have heard mixed things about both.

Re: Rockenwagner, I also think he is underrated. I have not been the the restaurant on Main St. in a while, but I used to enjoy it when I lived in Santa Monica. I think the Marina Del Rey location Roc, closed. It was a very casual place, really wild decor and a pizza/salad influence.

Best of luck in picking a spot!

SONA!!!

Or Mori Sushi.

You must at least consider these 2 spots.

:smile:

We had a terrific meal at Tanino's in Westwood about six months ago. And friends of mine who have very selective palates adore the place. Details are sketchy in my mind (short-term memory loss has set in at an amazing pace) but salads fresh and perfectly dressed, pastas and risottos were perfection, the wine list seemed to interest my brother (the knowledgeable one of the group) and service was sophisticated yet friendly. I would highly recommend it and wonder if others here have tried it with satisfaction.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

We had a terrific meal at Tanino's in Westwood about six months ago.  And friends of mine who have very selective palates adore the place.  Details are sketchy in my mind (short-term memory loss has set in at an amazing pace) but salads fresh and perfectly dressed, pastas and risottos were perfection, the wine list seemed to interest my brother (the knowledgeable one of the group) and service was sophisticated yet friendly.  I would highly recommend it and wonder if others here have tried it with satisfaction.

Tanino's is good, but it's not in Mori's league. In its league--Italian with nice vibe and good food--it's a cut above like all the Drago family spots.