• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Faces on the Scene...

Hey guys,

Thanks for the great responses to these great questions, some of which I wish I had asked!

As each of your successive books have appeared, you've seemed to broaden the pool of "star" and "rising star" chefs from which you consult, introducing many of them to your readers for the first time. You've also made mention elsewhere of including some in the revised edition of your first book- Mario Batali, for instance, who you confessed was not on your radar initially.

Perhaps providing us a bit of a sneak preview, what new faces have emerged in your latest book? And who has caught your attention most recently? Apart from the major food media, from where to you find the most reliable tips for up and coming chefs?

And a related question/comment... I believe, either in Becoming a Chef or Culinary Artistry, you had provided a brief geneology of sorts, tracking the influence of chefs by way of the cooks who worked under them. As the chef community continues to branch out, I find these influences and patterns fascinating! I would love to see a detailed 'family tree' charting such influences, say over the past twenty years. Any interest in taking on such a project?!

I hope you find your way back to Michigan one these days! Takashi and I would love to hang out and cook for you again!

Michael Laiskonis

Pastry Chef

New York

www.michael-laiskonis.com

Nothing makes a native Michigander like Karen prouder than to return "home" to Detroit to enjoy dinner at one of the best restaurants in the United States: TRIBUTE! Takashi and Michael are an impressive team indeed -- and with Mickey added to the mix, it's an unbeatable combination!

; ) Karen & Andrew