• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

L'Entredgeu

Felice

In point of fact, Philippe Tredgeu, protege of Thierry Breton at Chez Michel, did his cooking at Chez Casimir, next door to Chez Michel.    :wub:

Quite right; in writing, I conflated the two, he was indeed (1) a protegé of Thierry Breton at Chez Michel and (2) chef at Chez Casimir next door on the rue du Belzunce. Sorry for the misleading info.

And I'm delighted the meal was great; my one try at the new location just after it opened must have been aberrant.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 1 month later...
THE SECRET IS OUT.

whilst plotting my next trip to paris, obviously this place is of interest, despite worries of what will happen to it when the masses descends i note it is already in the 2004 time out paris guide, which has been out months now!

(with a very positive rec, naturally!)

cheers

gary

you don't win friends with salad

The secret's been "out" for ages.

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

The secret's been "out" for ages.

As we've talked a lot in this forum lately, secrets for some are not for others. There are levels of the game. For the top guys, e.g. Simon and Demorand, writing for the dailies and weeklies, there are no secrets and the "word is out" within days or at least weeks (for example l'Ami Marcel); for those who write in English, e.g. Lobrano in the glossy Anglophonic monthlies, e.g. Gourmet and Where, it may take months (for example L'Ourcine) and for the guidebooks, e.g. Lebey and Timeout, in whatever language, it may be a year or at least 10 months (for example La maison de Jardin. That's why if you want something new and fresh you've got to either be a good flaneur or watch the current press.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

A friend who dined at l'Entredgeu a couple of weeks ago tells me that the food didn't make up for the extremely tight seating and the rushed service. She felt a lot of pressure to turn the table and says she won't go back, despite having had a very good meal. Anyone else had or heard of a similar experience there, or was this an off night?

A friend who dined at l'Entredgeu a couple of weeks ago tells me that the food didn't make up for the extremely tight seating and the rushed service.  She felt a lot of pressure to turn the table and says she won't go back, despite having had a very good meal.  Anyone else had or heard of a similar experience there, or was this an off night?

The short answer is that l'Entredgeu is a small, crowded restaurant that serves two full seatings each night. There is little welcome and service is basic. Three women, including Madame, serve two rooms. We have found the food quite all right but nothing outstanding except for the low price for the name recognition of the chef. It is not a dining room for a relaxed, intimate dinner, and barely one for the simple experience of good cooking. We usually add it to our mix of possible bookings, and usually choose another address without regret.

This is one restaurant where I would not be against taking the earliest table available. This will give you a better chance of having a choice of tables, the full attention of your waitress and an unharried kitchen. The noise level will be lower before 9:30, as well as the stress level of the staff. You probably should go there once, then make up your own mind about returning.

eGullet member #80.