• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Avoiding gas after eating beans

MITllama

But beans are only edible when cooked if not they pass thru the gut undigested and are thus planted. The evolving bean did not have to contend with a pot of boiling water and a hungry caveman

• Like 1

Rotuts/gfweb: it's not an inulin/inulase reaction with epazote (no extra s in the name), it's a carminative action due to the volatile oils present (which are similar in structure to those of fennel/anise and tarragon) that causes you to burp more often (and fart less) and therefore release the gasses produced by the inulin in your digestive system in a less noxious way.

• Like 1

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

For people, who do not have the intestinal enzymes that break down the oligosaccharides in beans, the recommended solution is BEANO.

Soaking the beans twice - in fresh water each time - and pouring off the soak water and rinsing the beans, can help somewhat but if you don't have the enzymes naturally in the gut, you will have gas.

Beans do not produce this effect in me. Other vegetables do - different chemicals, - cabbage is one such, ditto Brussels sprouts.

Read this for some helpful ideas.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I hope Rancho Gordo weighs in.

The usual advice is to eat them more regularly to get your digestive track use to them

That's exactly the advice included with my most recent Rancho Gordo purchase: "eat more beans".

DH swears by soaking the beans in water with baking soda for some hours before cooking. We can both see bubbles generated during the soak. We haven't agreed on whether it influences the final digestive, er, outcome.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

The usual advice is to eat them more regularly to get your digestive track use to them

wish this were true, hubby eats beans or legumes often and it's never improved. I think he lacks the digestive enzyme, might have to persuade him to try Beano and see if it helps.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I eat beans frequently. The only time they have given me gas is when the are undercooked. The directions on many packages of beans call for a specific cooking time. I find that cooking times vary significantly even across the same type of bean, and the cooking time is almost always longer than given on the bag.

One interesting test for doneness I read is that you should be able to pop the bean between your tongue and the roof of your mouth. Or you can cut one to check for uniform color. If there is a spot in the center it ain't done.

A lot of people want to avoid mushiness and broken beans. In my experience, this is done by cooking the beans really, really low and slow. I cook my pintos, for instance, about 6 hours or so. They tell me when they are done. Undercooking will help keep the shape, but is gassy.

I think rotuts might be mistaken about inulin in beans. I am a fiber junkie, and inulin is a special fiber that promotes bacterial growth (a good thing) in the large intestine. I've never seen anywhere that beans are a signicant source of inulin. Instead Jerusalem artichokes, agave, chicory, onions, garlic. I get farty easily when I eat too much J artichokes, but I can eat a pound of beans with no distress. I am taking inulin supplements to eliminate this fartiness, and I think I am there.

From a fiber and gut microbe diversity standpoint, I think eating foods that make you gassy is good for you. As I understand (and I could be wrong) this sort of gassiness reflects a lack of gut microbe diversity (diversity is good) and eating such food will feed the bacteria reonsible for producing the right enzymes. Maybe this is why the fartiness goes away after eating beans often.

My least favorite subject-- in the world!

Eat more beans, eat fresher beans and if you have a low fiber diet and rarely eat beans, don't have two huge bowls of chili.

My regular customers rarely bring this up so I have to think that the age of the bean has something to do with it as well.

Soaking and changing the water helps minimally and you are potentially extracting vitamins and flavor and throwing it down the sink. Baking soda is kind of nasty and can leave a residue or soap flavor.

I agree with ttogull about undercooked beans. I think they can be a culprit.

And eat with your mouth closed. I understand taking in air while eating can cause issues too.

re epazote, it's delicious not just with beans but in a quesadilla, with sauteed mushrooms or with octopus, but I doubt it does much for gas.

• Like 1

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray