• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trip to Italy 101

tommy

we're considering taking out Siena.  all in favor?

so it would be:

overnight in milan.  9 am train to venice.

3 nights in venice.

train to bologna for 1 night.

drive to florence for 4 nights.

drive to rome (and lose the car right away) for 4 nights.

This sounds like a nice trip. You could spend a day less in Florence and a day more in Rome depending on your priorities, e.g., more or less emphasis on art (advantage Florence), more or less emphasis on high end food (Florence), more or less emphasis on tomatoes (Rome), more or less emphasis on sites/architecture(Rome), etc. Just my opinions. Of course, it also depends on arrival and departure times as to whether you're getting full days, whether you are making journeys out to the countryside, etc. BTW, you'll find those pesky Vespas in Florence, too, swarming around like bees.

Edited by hollywood (log)

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

1/ A car in Florence is a very bad idea. You could FS from Firenze-Rome; (only 2 hours)

2/ While Bologna is a nice place, it doesn't belong on a first time in Italy trip. Siena would be a better choice. Il Campo is very unique, as well as the Duomo.

3/ Instead of driving between large cities, use the car to drive around Tuscany and overnight in Siena and/or San Gimignano

4/ You might consider reversing your itinerary-- Venice is a wonderful place to end a trip, rather than begin one-- it is much more overwhelming and dramatic than the other cities, especially seeing it for the first time.

Venice is a wonderful place to end a trip, rather than begin one-- it is much more overwhelming and dramatic than the other cities, especially seeing it for the first time.

You might brush up on Turner. His paintings of Venice mean a lot more once you've seen the place in the flesh. Really.

I think it may have already be mentioned, but pick up the DK Eyewitness Guide for Venice. It has the best and most detailed maps. You will not get lost if you have that book. Furthermore, when at the Train Station, pick up the multi-day vaporetto pass so you can jump on and off the vaporetto without thought.

If you plan on visiting the Campanile in Piazza San Marco, go first thing in the morning before the crowds get there. You don't want to get stuck waiting in line. Additionally, the audio tour of the Doge's Palace is long. Budget enough time for it.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Tommy,

You really can't go wrong with any of these suggestions. You won't be able to see everything on this trip anyway. Even if you did, you'll want to go back again anyway. I agree, however, with the thought that if you are going to be spending time in Florence and then heading directly to Rome, you would be better off ditching the car on arrival in Florence and taking the train to Rome. It would be a lot less hassle. I would only keep the car (or get it at all) if you were planning on day trips out of Florence. If not, I would say you are better off getting a rail pass and going everywhere by train. Here is a link for train info.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I think it may have already be mentioned, but pick up the DK Eyewitness Guide for Venice.  It has the best and most detailed maps.  You will not get lost if you have that book.

This may be true, but Venice is the most fun place to get lost in that I know of.

If not, I would say you are better off getting a rail pass and going everywhere by train. Here is a link for train info.

Doc-- the only issue I have is RailEurope-- they are a rip-off and have very incomplete schedules. It is quick and easy to go righ to the station and buy the tickets on the spot, no reservations necessary, trains between these major routes are at least 2x/hour. For complete info and the lowest prices go right to the FS site: (In English)

Ferrovie dello Stato Site

I think it may have already be mentioned, but pick up the DK Eyewitness Guide for Venice.  It has the best and most detailed maps.  You will not get lost if you have that book.

This may be true, but Venice is the most fun place to get lost in that I know of.

I agree about getting lost -- we discovered some great neighborhoods, off the tourist trail because we made random turns down alleys. But eventually you need a good map to find your way back. :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

One comment on trains- you should reserve if you plan on taking the super fast trains(e.g. from Venice to Rome)-these get booked up. When renting a car, bug the car rental company to give you REALLY GOOD DIRECTIONS AND MAPS to the place where you will

be RETURNING the car. That has always been the most hair-raising part of any trip I've had.

Have fun!

Roz

That's OK.  Somebody is threatening burnt UMBRIA on another thread!

You mean Raw Umber? (where's the quizzical emoticon?)

My friends telephoned me today from their hotel in Venice. They'd found it via one of the links I sent you, Tommy, and said, "This place is the find of the century." Palazzo Abadessa is the name. They said they got a gorgeous room for 230 Euros a night, and loved it so much that they added on a night and cut out one night in Florence.

I cannot wait to go to Venice now.

Check out the photo gallery.

.......They said they got a gorgeous room for 230 Euros a night, and loved it so much that they added on a night and cut out one night in Florence.

I might as well double the rate, and stay at Danieli (sp?) :smile:

anil

menton1,Oct 4 2003, 11:37 AM

I might agree, except the latest rates at the Danieli are 780 Euros for a Standard Double--  Venice hotels are exhorbitantly priced-- this one included!!  Here's the web site if you want to book! :smile:Danieli Hotel

I agree that Europe is very expensive for poor folks who earn in USD. Anyway, there is a well known FF tip -- Never take the tariff quoted on the website seriously - Especially the high end hotels :rolleyes: Make a call or two directly to the hotel's international business development manager or G.M. see what you get. It's just like the Air consolidators and discounters, never disclose the airline/airfare till the end :smile:

anil

Looks like the Danieli is owned/run by Starwood. If you stay at more than one of their hotels on your trip (again, not cheap) you probably get a deal. That used to be the case going back to when it was a CIGA Hotel. Also, appears that if you are eligible for AARP, there are potential deals.

The hotel tariffs in Venice are roughly double the rates of anywhere else in Italy-- and Italy hotels are about 25% higher than their French counterparts.

Also, be advised that the * rating system in Italy for hotels is notoriously unreliable-- many 3 star places can be a lot nicer than some 4 star hotels!!

The hotel tariffs in Venice are roughly double the rates of anywhere else in Italy-- and Italy hotels are about 25% higher than their French counterparts.

I think the only possible exception to this would be with regard to 4 stars in France. For some reason, the tax is significantly higher at the 4 stars, sort of a luxury tax.