• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BIG PRAWNS

prasad2

This morning as usual I stopped by my wholesale seafood vendor where I buy my seafood for the restaurant. I was buying some Chilean Sea Bass which looked gorgeous, one pound red snappers, some Halibut and some mussels. On my way out The guy asked me if I was interested in buying some big prawns. I said I got pretty big prawns in my freezer. He said these are unusually big, I would say two or three per pound or may be five for two pounds.

Since I had quite a bit of seafood in my hand I said I shall return in a day or two to get those big Prawns.

Any suggestion on how to prepare these big prawns. As appa or as an entree...

Hi Prasad2( Why 2?)

Prawns take the Chicken 65 treatment very well.

But these are big mothers, so I would lightly poach them in spiced coconut milk and serve them split lengthwise into 2 arcs flat side down forming an oval to hold a thickish sauce in the center.

The sauce would be a reduction of the coconut milk which will have hints of Rasam and Star anise( Badian/Chakriphool). Garnished with a few raw onion rings, mint and a fried whole red chilli ( to just tickle the olfactory sense)

Or maybe a Green version with a mint, coriander sauce.

I would then name it Prawns SaMudra.

God it's only 9 in the morning here. Aarghh!

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Chef Mathur in NYC cooks them in the Tandoor. Mr. & Mrs. Fat Guy have been two of his Shrimp fancying clients. The list of tandoori shrimp fans is long and stellar. It always does the trick.

Episure has suggested a great recipe. Prasad, do take pictures if you prepare that recipe. Thanks. :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks episure on the 65. I have not tried it yet, I am saving it for the next time. I did try the varuval, myself I was not too impressed, am going to it a try today, hence any recipe, tips on varuval is highly appreciated.

BTW Episure, on Prasad 2, why 2. I guess when I opened my aol account, Prasad and Prasad1 were taken and I was assigned Prasad2. I just got used to that ID.

Vengroff, thos epictures just look terrific, I have had Hemant's too and I remember he brings the prawn out of it shell. I wonder how it tasted, since the marination does not get to the meat of the shrimp. How would you explain your memories on tasting those big mothers.

Thanks

i would keep it simple - i like the tandoori recipe - there's also rubbing it with turmeric and chili and a little salt, and just sauteeing it real hot and quick so that the edges get brown and carmelized. and serving that as an appetizer.