• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thinking About Cooking

I have enjoyed your previous books and recommend them to others. I will be picking up The New American Chef soon as well. Thank you for joining us.

I am impressed with how well you supply tools to help people think in a more articulated manner about cuisine. Can you tell us anything about how you go about this?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Hi Jinmyo,

Thanks for the kind words. (Gee, folks, hosting a Q&A on eGullet.com is the world's best therapy!)

We're happy that you find that our books provide this kind of help. The secret? Take one over-educated woman with a passion for writing, marry her off to an equally passionate self-trained chef, and let them spend a few years together marinating in the world of food and chefs and restaurants so that she becomes completely taken with his world and wanting to explore it and understand it and celebrate it.

It's really the combination of the passions we both bring to the party -- Andrew's passion for cooking (as practiced/studied under Chris Schlesinger, Lydia Shire, Anne Rosenzweig, and studied under Madeleine Kamman) and Karen's passion for celebrating "what makes the great great" -- and, mutually, for sharing what we learn with others.

Andrew & Karen