• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch Menus

Does anyone have any idea whose LUNCH menus have the most options and appeal? 

Now that I know it is not too late to reserve, I am considering RHR, Petrus, Aikens, & Sketch for a lunch next month.

I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever, but be careful your trip doesn't become too prescriptive and scientific in your dining choices.

we've all made that mistake before :biggrin:

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

I've had lunches at Le Gavroche, RHR and Tom Aikens this year - the set at Le Gav, the tasting at RHR and the carte at Aikens and I thought Aikens was far and away the best. I was very disappointed at RHR. There was little wrong with the food but equally, not one of the dishes was memorable. Having eaten at the Savoy a couple of days before and shared a similar experience, I don't know whether I just don't "get" Ramsay's cooking, but it struck me as unambitious and actually slightly dated: the hotel food of the next decade. My wife didn't finish her frozen chocolate dessert, stating that she'd have preferred a Vienetta and actually, she wasn't wrong, but it was the first time I've ever seen that.

Le Gavroche was great value - the free half bottle of wine you get is usually excellent and if there are a pair of you it is perfect to mix white and red. The cooking is conservative and classical but pretty faultless.

Aikens was great. I don't know whether it's because he's desperately trying to win plaudits whereas the others are able to rest a little on their laurels but I can think about that meal four months on and the flavours come back clear in my memory. His food is probably not as flawless as RHR or Le Gavroche, but it is much more memorable and interesting and overall a more intense experience.

I wasn't actually that impressed by the desserts at any of these places, which makes me wonder whether crude desserts - say a squidgy chocolate brownie with ice cream and sauce - are better than more sophisticated fare. But that's another issue. And the madelaines at Aikens are great.

I may be a little late to this thread, but I found that it was not difficult to change a reservation in case one changes his mind.

In terms of creativity, passion, excitement and value, I would strongly recommend the Sketch tasting menu (I have not visited Aikens, though he was recommended to us by the maître d’ at The Fat Duck, and my somewhat sad experience at Petrus is limited to one dinner only).

I must agree with Paul de Gruchy that RHR provides a classical, steady, perfectly executed experience, with clear tastes and a well-thought-out progression of dishes that, as I mentioned it in my earlier notes, rather “calms your senses” than excites them. I disagree that the experience is not memorable, however.

If you decide to stay with your current reservation and choose their seven-course Menu Prestige, which is also served for dinner, I would suggest examining their current desserts and consider a possible replacement as we did find the desserts included in the tasting quite uneventful. I’d be curious to try chef Ramsay’s signature dish of Crème Brûlée with Jus of Granny Smith or Caramelised Tarte Tatin instead of the Rum Pannacotta we were served. I would also strongly recommend a cheese platter – a simply unforgettable experience.

Price comparison:

Gordon Ramsay lunch:

£35 for three course prix-fixe;

lunch and dinner Menu Prestige £80 for seven courses plus one amuse.

Sketch lunch:

£48 for three-course prix-fixe. Actual dishes included: 5 amuses, 5 starters, 1 main course (a choice between two options), 4 desserts;

two courses £42

Whichever your choice is, have a lovely lunch and please do report back on your experience.

Edited by lxt (log)