• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All About Gin, Generally

njduchess

I have to confess that using something relatively delicate like Plymouth in a G&T seems like a waste of premium booze to me. If I were going to use an expensive gin, I'd want something like Junipero, which has an assertive flavor that's heavy on the juniper.

As always, I cowtow to slkinsey. That's why I use Beefeaters for G&T's. It tastes like gin, it tastes good, and it's not expensive.

If I have an expensive bottle of gin in the house, I feel it ought to be used for a well-balanced martini -- bliss.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

I like Citadelle gin - enough juniper to stand up to a tonic, but not enough that it would turn me off.

Also like Tanq Ten, but it is perilous to order in a bar - what if they don't hear the "Ten" and just give me plain old Tanq? I don't want to be shouting after the bartender... "Ten! Ten!". That's why Sapphire is just so much easier.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

I have to confess that using something relatively delicate like Plymouth in a G&T seems like a waste of premium booze to me.  If I were going to use an expensive gin, I'd want something like Junipero, which has an assertive flavor that's heavy on the juniper.

As always, I cowtow to slkinsey.

Hee! :laugh: Eeeexcellent. My evil plan is working. Now, if only I can get everyone else to fall in line...

That's why I use Beefeaters for G&T's.  It tastes like gin, it tastes good, and it's not expensive.

Beefeater is actually an underrated gin, I think. It's got a nice clean taste and the juniper's right out front iirc. Now that I think about it, once I run out of the huge jugs of Bombay and Gordon's I got on sale, I'm getting a 1.75 of Beefeater.

--

Hee! :laugh:  Eeeexcellent.  My evil plan is working.  Now, if only I can get everyone else to fall in line...

It's the hypnotic ferret, man. I am too weak to resist...

Beefeater is actually an underrated gin, I think.  It's got a nice clean taste and the juniper's right out front iirc.  Now that I think about it, once I run out of the huge jugs of Bombay and Gordon's I got on sale, I'm getting a 1.75 of Beefeater.

Good call! I think it's underrated, too. It's as good as (or better than) higher-priced gins but the huge-ass bottle is like $35 where I live. If I'm mixing it with something that isn't vermouth, it's my house gin. And I have tried them all.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

A slightly different question is what brand of tonic water do you use? I find the big brands (Schweppes, Canada Dry) a bit on the sweet side. Are there boutique brands out there I should be trying? Can I make my own?

You can make your own if you like.

The quick and dirty method I use to make tonic water when catering is

9 parts club soda, 1 part 7up.

Try that way and see how you like it.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

A slightly different question is what brand of tonic water do you use?  I find the big brands (Schweppes, Canada Dry) a bit on the sweet side.  Are there boutique brands out there I should be trying?  Can I make my own?

You can make your own if you like.

Wow, talk about being on the sweet side! That IS quick and dirty. Where's the bitterness that tonic has?

Many thanks to the Plymouth recommenders on this thread. I found some the other day at one of my wine haunts and it is very much to my (admittedly unsophisticated) taste. The only problem is I've now fallen into a habit of fixing myself a G&T most evenings. If that's a problem.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Wow, talk about being on the sweet side! That IS quick and dirty. Where's the bitterness that tonic has?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 2 weeks later...

Would like to give a heads-up on a gin sale -- Plymouth 750ml, this week only at Hows Market, only 16 bucks!

Unfortunately this market has only 5 locations in the Los Angeles area, but hopefully someone in the area can benefit from this sale. I know I will...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Flavor with some bitters if you like. Hmm, wonder if bitter melon could be added to flavor it?

Perhaps flavor the Bitter Melon by injecting Gin? :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I've been using David Rosengarten's recipe for "The Frosty Plymouth Gin & Tonic" -- it's the best ever, imho. It's reproduced (among other places, I imagine) here.

Alex, you are a god. tried this the other night and now can never go back to normal ice cubes. I think I am approaching perfection! LOTS more experimentation needed of course, tee hee.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Is Quintessential a quality gin?

I saw some at the liquor store on sale and thought about picking it up, but I don't know much at all about gin. I haven't drank it in probably 6 years.

Would it fit the bill of a good mild gin for a non-drinker, or would others be a better choice? I would probably use it mostly for gin and tonics, but I have the urge to try a gin martini, so I would want something smooth and no overpowering, like I get the impression Junipero is.

For an idea of my tastes, I never liked Tanqueray straight, although I didn't mind it with tonic. Aside from that I've had Gordon's and Seagram's, which weren't any better.

Edited by alphaiii (log)

For a Gin and T, I'm hard pressed to find a better match than Tanq 10. Sure, it's a little spendy, but the fresh citrus--grapefruit even--and the low concentrations of barks really makes this a tonic friendly quaff. For my tastes, it makes a somewhat lousy martini, a better gimlet and a pretty good gibson. But it's the inherent citrus-y nature of the 10 that really screams "G & T" to me.

your mileage, will of course vary.

Myers

I tried the Quintessential, which I found light and not very junipery. I wasn't crazy about it, but I like juniper in my gin. I had it in a martini; it would probably do better in a G&T.

Tanq 10 is a great gin for non-gin drinkers; my vodka-drinking friends love it. Another lighter gin for beginners is Bombay Sapphire.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a Tanq & tonic fan since day 1 -- actually literally had never tried another gin...that is until last week. Restaurant I went to only had Bombay & Bombay sapphire, so tried a Bombay & tonic. Ick! :blink: Definitely was not for me.

So my [stupid/novice] question, what exactly is the difference between regular bombay & the sapphire?

Regardless, I will stick with the old fave Tanqueray from now on.

"What, after all, is more seductive than the prospect of sinning in libraries?"

Michael Dirda, An Open Book

I have been a Tanq & tonic fan since day 1 -- actually literally had never tried another gin...that is until last week.  Restaurant I went to only had Bombay & Bombay sapphire, so tried a Bombay & tonic.  Ick!  :blink:  Definitely was not for me.

So my [stupid/novice] question, what exactly is the difference between regular bombay & the sapphire?

Regardless, I will stick with the old fave Tanqueray from now on.

I've never had Bombay, so I really can't answer your question, but I've only every heard good things about it, mostly because of it being a good value.

I recently tried Sapphire, and have to say that it seems to be a bit overpowered by the tonic, as opposed to Tanqueray which seems to be more bold in an G&T.

Sapphire is alot "lighter" of a gin than Tanqueray, to me at least. I'd like to try it in a martini.

I'm not a fan of Tanqueray though, and I guess I need something in between the 2 for use in gin and tonics. I think I'm going to pick up a bottle of Broker's gin for this.

Tanq 10 is a great gin for non-gin drinkers; my vodka-drinking friends love it. Another lighter gin for beginners is Bombay Sapphire.

Is this why I like 10 so much? It is not a gin tasting gin?

I like Beefeater and Plymouth just fine, but I really enjoy the fruit to the 10. Maybe I just don't like Gin as much as I thought. Interesting...

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not had gin very many times and have never bought a bottle. I thought maybe I'd pick up a bottle and try some new drinks but in looking at a list for pricing I saw Beefeater Dry Gin and Beefeater Wet Gin. I have no idea what that means. The only thing I think of when I see the word dry with any form of drink I think of dry wine. I know many people like their wine dry but it always tasted like someone threw up in my glass. So now dry or wet gin? Is there any way that this can be explained in a post? Bet you guys never knew anyone who knew so little about spirits.

I'm not mad about Tanqueray. Bombay Sapphire for me.. or Gordans since it is the ubiquitous gin here in the uk.

To be honest I don't really notice the nuances of taste with gin. I'm not fussy the way I might be with whiskey or brandy.

I had a gin and tonic this weekend with Bombay original and I have to say I liked it alot, better than the Sapphire and tonic I had before. It's nice to like a less expensive liquor for a change.

I haven't seen anything about Brokers gin on here. It's on sale in a few days for $14 so I'm gonna grab a bottle. It's gotten alot of good reviews so I figure it will be worthwhile for gin and tonics.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh how I love Plymouth gin, although I must admit that I find it best in a Martini. For G&Ts, I like a complex, smooth gin like Citadelle or Magellan (another tasty french gin that might turn a few people off because of its blue color). I never buy Bombay Saffire; Citadelle is a superior gin, in my opinion, and is the same price.

I also really like Junipero, although the bold flavor of this hard-to-find gin (at least in my area) is not for everyone.

• 1 month later...

Weighing in a bit late on this one, but after several weeks of "research" I must say that slkinsey is right: Beefeater is definitely an underrated gin, and when included in a G&T has become to me one of life's simple® pleasures.

Of course, it helps that in Arizona there never seems to be a shortage of good limes!

In vino veritas.

I must say that slkinsey is right

You know... you really can't say this too many times. :biggrin:

Beefeater is definitely an underrated gin, and when included in a G&T has become to me one of life's simple® pleasures.

Yea. It's a decent gin, and it's one that has enough presence to come through in a G&T. There's little point to making a G&T with a delicate gin like Hendrick's.

--

I find Quintessential and Tanq Ten to be ultra smooth and more suited towards martini's than G&T. Citadelle is nice too.

Has anyone tried the South Gin from New Zealand? It's the most expensive gin available here on the Canadian west coast.