• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All About Gin, Generally

njduchess

I actually like some vermouth in my Bombay Sapphire martini.

Well... you are a man of taste with a sophisticated palate. Of course you do! It should have vermouth in it. Perhaps I should have said, "the vast majority of gin martinis consumed these days (by Philistines, natch) is straight gin, more or less." :biggrin:

Bombay Saphire's not one of my faves, though, but that's for a different thread.

--

Similary, if you order a gimlet these days, it's essentially straight gin.  Not sure why, but bartenders now seem prone to mixing severely dry cocktails.

Wow, they better not do that to me, cause I love gimlets and mine need to be green. :cool:

Meow-Mix,

Most gins that one finds in the US are "London-style" gins.  One shouldn't drink these gins straight.

However, "Dutch-style" gins can, and are, drank straight as well as mixed.

Albeit, this doesn't hold true in actual practice.

Ok, I've never had Dutch-style before, so I don't know what that's like. I just thought it weird how some spirits are not conducive to shots, like gin, rum, as opposed to those that are like vodka, tequila, whiskey. It's strange because I like gin a lot, but when trying to drink it straight it tastes like crap. And I can't recall ever seeing anyone order a shot of gin. I wonder if there's ever been any protocol established on this.

I actually like some vermouth in my Bombay Sapphire martini.

Well... you are a man of taste with a sophisticated palate. Of course you do! It should have vermouth in it. Perhaps I should have said, "the vast majority of gin martinis consumed these days (by Philistines, natch) is straight gin, more or less." :biggrin:

Bombay Saphire's not one of my faves, though, but that's for a different thread.

I also like Tanq 10 . Old Raj is a bit much for me.

Mark

I like Tanqueray as well. I also like Hendricks, which is cucumber flavored. Makes a cool martini.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I like Tanqueray as well. I also like Hendricks, which is cucumber flavored. Makes a cool martini.

Yes! Hendricks, Boodles and Plymouth are my martini gins of preference.

With Hendricks I like to garnish with a translucent, paper-thin slice of English cucumber floating in the glass rather than the traditional olive or twist.

--

Agree w/ MatthewB about the Dutch gin, or jenever (pronounced jaNEEvur)... pity the only easily found variety in the US is the Bols... which is undistinguised... the more interesting varieties are remniscent of good whisky, though they are meant to be drunk cold. Yum...

Why doesn't any of the good stuff get imported to the US... probably the wiley Netherlands Tourism Bureau making everybody who wants to keep the good stuff around come and visit to get it.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

• 2 weeks later...

Have y'all tried the legendary "Pink Gin"? A couple of ounces of gin, anywhere from 2 to 8 dashes of Angostura bitters to taste, stir and strain; serve up or on the rocks. Very British Empire, and certain to make lots of bartenders wrinkle their noses if you talk them through it. Me, I love it!

Has anyone tried the new Magellan Gin? It's blue, due to the infusion of iris roots and flowers amongst the rest of the botanicals. It's more in the Plymouth/Tanq No. 10 category, being not as "in your face" as regular Tanq or Boodles. Since I like my gins to be a little more nuanced and don't particularly enjoy being whooped upside the head with a berry-laden juniper branch, this one's right up my alley. Makes a fine (and nifty-looking) Martini, too.

It's also really nice to be able to drink a sophisticated cocktail -- without having to add cheap, sickly-sweet blue curaçao -- and still have it be blue. :smile:

Chuck

Chuck Taggart

The Gumbo Pages, New Orleans / Los Angeles

"New Orleans food is as delicious as the less criminal forms of sin." - Mark Twain, 1884

Bia agus deoch, ceol agus craic.

Similary, if you order a gimlet these days, it's essentially straight gin.  Not sure why, but bartenders now seem prone to mixing severely dry cocktails.

well, Gin with Lime Juice, I find they don't put enough Triple Sec.

My Gimlet recipie calls for some form of london dry gin, jose cuervo's marguirita mix in place of the normal lime juice, and about a 1/4oz triple sec.

mmmmmm

Edited by Ol' Dirty Chinaman (log)

well, Gin with Lime Juice, I find they don't put enough Triple Sec.

My Gimlet recipie calls for some form of london dry gin, jose cuervo's marguirita mix in place of the normal lime juice, and about a 1/4oz triple sec.

mmmmmm

Inspired by your post, I just made gimlets for myself and the GF. 2.5 ounces Junípero and 0.75 ounces Rose's. It was a good mix. Junípero is very heavy on the juniper (as the name would suggest), so the flavor of the gin shines through the Rose's, which is present in sufficient quantity to impart the requisite sour and sweet flavors.

--

Just gin - it's the driest martini possible.  Anything wrong with that?  I just add a couple drops of lemon or lime juice or a couple of olives and a drop of the brine the olives come in.

Nothing wrong with it at all... It's just not a cocktail, and it sure ain't a martini. But nothing wrong with it per se.

--

Oh...THIS thread is why Sam suddenly jumped up from the computer and made drinks! I was wondering.

Not that I mind. GOD, I love gin.

K, sipping.

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Is there a thread on preferred brands of gin for specific cocktails? (I searched but was too dumb to find one.) Bombay Sapphire is not my favorite for a martini, either -- I'd rather have plain Bombay -- but I don't mind it in, say, a gin and tonic.

Cheers,

Squeat

Thanks MatthewB! Is it generally understood among eGulleteers to skip the internal search engine and head straight for Google?

Someone on another thread mentioned being of the opinion that the eGullet search feature... er... "sucks."

Thanks again,

Squeat

For me, eGullet's search feature is quite good if I have a pretty clear idea concerning how to find the thread. When I don't have a clear search idea, Google usually finds it.

If you use Google, be sure to add:

site:egullet.com

after your search parameters.

Speaking of the martini, I always keep my gin in the freezer so not dilute it when adding it to a few drops of vermouth and the lemon twist.

BTW, I've recently done some math. I know that I was drinking a couple of martinis per evening when the Mets won the series in '68. Having followed this pattern ever since, I calculate the imbibment of just short of 25,000 to date. Each one better than the next. What a body!

I remember a Bernard De Voto essay on the martini, a beautiful tome given to me by a friend many years ago and, alas, misplaced . I believe it was titled "The Hour". I would give a lot to be able to find a copy.

Is ...Bombay Sapphire is not my favorite for a martini, either -- I'd rather have plain Bombay...

Cheers,

Squeat

bless you. I also prefer regular Bombay. It tastes like gin! the Sapphire is too "bland"--is the best way to describe it. Bartenders will always try to foist the Sapphire on me when I order & I have learned to keep an eye on them when pouring b/c they will invariably reach for the Sapphire bottle unless I specifically say "not Sapphire".

I also like Boodle's & Plymouth. Hendrick's is interesting & actually quite delightful but I will stick w/ the Bombay. For some reason I have never been thrilled w/ Beefeater & will drink Tanqueray if no Bombay or Boodle's available.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

Speaking of the martini, I always keep my gin in the freezer so not dilute it when adding it to a few drops of vermouth and the lemon twist.

I've know a few people who swear by Martinis made this way, but for me it's missing something essential -- the bit of water you get via dilution from shaking or stirring. The water in a cocktail takes the harsh edge off the alcohol, helps to open up the flavor a bit and gives it a silky, smooth texture that makes it very pleasant to drink ... at least for me.

The next step I'm told I have to take (via my other half) is to start shaking my Martinis instead of stirring them. Apparently I'm missing out on the delightful little flotilla of ice chips on the surface of a shaken one, which leaves the drink so cold you could practically skate across it. :smile:

As for wondering if there's anyone who drinks gin in shots ... well, there's always Winston Smith. But only Victory Gin.

Chuck Taggart

The Gumbo Pages, New Orleans / Los Angeles

"New Orleans food is as delicious as the less criminal forms of sin." - Mark Twain, 1884

Bia agus deoch, ceol agus craic.

• 8 months later...