• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ham

Basilgirl

Baked a 6-pound ham yesterday. Had biscuits to go with and a nice corn & red pepper salad.

Besides the usual sandwiches, frittatas, mac & cheese, potato gratin...what the hell can I do with all this ham?????????

:huh:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My mother used to make really good ham salad with red pepper relish. Sorry I can't remember more about it than that. :sad:

Edited by mikeycook (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

My mother used to make really good ham salad with red pepper relish.  Sorry I can't remember more about it than that.  :sad:

I forgot about that! For some reason, when I was a kid, my mother always had a ham in the fridge. I am talking the whole honkin' ham! Needless to say, she had all kinds of ways to use it up.

One ham salad that I hadn't thought about in years had diced ham, green peas, small diced cheddar, onion, red pepper or pimento with a little mayo... served cold.

The other ham salad was a variation on however she was making tuna salad at the time. I liked that one, too.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

If you're absolutly sick of it, then divide it into approx. 2 cup portions, wrap well and stick it in the freezer. Ham thaws quickly, and you'll be ready for a weekend breakfast, or company who drops by without calling.

Stop Family Violence

one of my favourites - simple and unbeatable - fried egg, on ham on bread (plus seasoning/mustard/butter). (I first came across it in Holland where it is called "uitsmijter".) I never tire of this variation on bacon and eggs. could easily eat a whole ham.

Edited by enthusiast (log)