• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris Fermier Show - Merged topics

Bux

The 2001 national exhibition of French farm products was enticingly described by Margaret Pilgrim in a previous post. Some of you might want to be reminded in time to make plans for next fall, that this is a yearly fair open to both the trade and visitors.

No further information has been published at the moment, but I have the following contacts:

Tél: 01 44 06 72 60  

Fax: 01 44 06 72 62

E-Mail: paris.fermier@free.com

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 7 months later...

The Salon Paris Fermier is coming up next week from Friday the 18th through Monday the 21st of October. My apologies for not reminding everyone earlier. We'll be going to the Salon one of those days. By any chance will any of you be there?

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

• 11 months later...

About a week ago, I finished off the last of the jams we purchsed last year. Actually, It was a chestnut spread that's wonderful on croissants or toast. I hoarded a few. Most went as gifts to friends and relatives around Thanksgiving. We'll be through Paris too early for the show this October, but I suspect we'll find a couple of jars of something in Delight's shop and I know we'll get some black cherry preserves in the Basque region. It's an interesting show, although I much prefer discovering these kinds of artisanal products while touring the provinces checking out the open markets and following signs to farms.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

• 4 months later...

Some of us have already attended the October Fermier Show in Paris. I was delighted to see that there will be a spring show April 2 through 5 at Parc Floral on the edge of Bois de Vincennes. A reminder, bring a huge carrier bag to this one. (Just this last weekend we opened a bottle of Folie, a strawberry-rhubarb aperitif, which we drizzled over homemade strawberry ice cream and chocolate sorbet. The next best thing to being there!) Click here for details.

An exposition of independent vintnors will take place the same weekend at Place Champeret.

Details

Coulommiers, a cheese center an hour east of Paris, hosts the Foire Internationale aux Fromages et aux Vins this weekend. This requires a SCNF ride. From what I can gather, the location of the fair is about 2/3 km from the gare. The followng website still describes the 2003 event. However, I have just received a response from the Coulommiers tourist office confirming that the dates of the 2004 fair are April 2 through 5. This fair is supposed to be a biggy, with representation of the many fromage guilds as well as many cheesemakers and vintnors.

Coulommiers tourist office

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

• 1 month later...

We've just unpacked our treasures from the Spring Fermier and Vignorons Independents shows, and what shows they were! For a number of years we have enjoyed the October Fermier Show at Champeret, and were excited to hear that a new Spring show would take place for the first time at Parc Floral in the Bois de Vincennes. As advertised, a shuttle picks up visiters at the Chateau de Vincennes metro station and takes them directly to Parc Floral. I loaded up on eau de vies, lavender products, specialty olives, foie gras and boudin, and sampled more than enough for lunch.

At the same time at Porte de Champeret, the Vignorons Independents show is literally indescribable. All of the exposition halls at Champeret are called into use for this one. I am guessing, but there are probably more than 500 exibitors, each offering (and sampling) from 3 to 6 or so wines. With your issued-with-admission glass, you prowl the aisles and taste at will. The producers are darling and tremendously interested in teaching you about their product. Aisles are alphabetized...and you quickly learn to pace and prioritize by the time you get to, maybe, B-35! Hand-trucks are for sale for those who buy in case lots. If not, bring a huge carrier bag. We came home with some of the most amazing specialty sweet wines and fruit distillations: orange, apricot, apple, cherry, all from different houses. There are shippers on the premises for those who decide to put down a quantity of wines. Also vendors of cellars, glassware, corking apparatus, etc.

Remember: Fermier Shows at Easter and last week of October

Independent vintnor shows at Easter and first week of December

Don't miss these if you're in town next season.

eGullet member #80.

We hit the fall Fermier show a few year's back and enjoyed it immensely. In a way it was a condensed version of the kind of food collecting we do when we're driving in the countryside. That is we buy artisanal products such as jams and preserves to bring home. The advantage to the Fermier show is that you can taste before you buy and thus know what's in the jar. The disadvatage is that you don't get to relate that great jam to the area in which it was made.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

• 5 months later...
Bux, chestnut spread on croissants?! Talk about gilding the lily!

Since our last visit to Paris which ended last Monday, I've been spreading a mandarin chocolate confiture on my brioche. This was purchased at the Layfayette Gourmet Societé d'Alimentation at Galeries Lafayette. Madarines, chcoclat et sucre. It is sinful. It's hardly the best place in France to shop for jams and stuff, but we were in the first arrondissement and it was convenient. My preference perhaps, would have been Bomn Marché had we more time. The advantage of the Fermier Show, is that you can taste. With the knowledge that came from tasting, we made a much wider range of purchases the year we visited the show. The downside was that it was hectic and crowded.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

• 1 year later...

We’ll be in Paris for the Salon Fermiers http://www.salonsfermiers.com in early October.

Does anyone know if tickets should be purchased before we go to the show? And if so where?

We’re thinking about going on Sunday. Does anyone know if the show is too crowded to enjoy on Sundays? Any opinions on attending the show on Monday (closing day)?

Any advice, or information, or opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

Al Sharff

We’ll be in Paris for the Salon Fermiers  http://www.salonsfermiers.com in early October.

Does anyone know if tickets should be purchased before we go to the show?  And if so where?

We’re thinking about going on Sunday.  Does anyone know if the show is too crowded to enjoy on Sundays?  Any opinions on attending the show on Monday (closing day)?

Any advice, or information, or opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

Al Sharff

The last time I went tickets were available there and it was full but not jammed on the weekend (kids are off after all). I guess I'd go Monday if there were a choice.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

We have, over the years, gone on every day. It's crowded at opening and mid-day, but not so as to hamper your looking or shopping. My advice is to dress lightly and in layers, as the room can get very warm, and to make sure you bring several large carrier bags, as you will undoubtedly buy more than you anticipate.

We often make two rounds: one to look and sample, and the second to buy our favorites. Also, as in any fair, keep notes on which stalls you wish to revisit because by the end you will be both physically and mentally sated.

Enjoy.

eGullet member #80.