• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ceiba

bilrus

Perhaps we should have a forum for entertaining quips.

I actually had dinner at Ceiba on Tuesday, 9/23. Also had the empanadas of duck confit which were very tasty. The sauce did not add to the dish.

Continued on with the grilled scallops--very nice.

For dessert I had the Ceiba version of tarte tatin (sp?) which was made with pumpkin. It tasted like fall.

Very good selection of wines by the glass from S America and Spain. Very attentive service by what seemed very young servers.

-Ed

How about a word or two on pricing and portion size?

Apps are about $8 up to $15 for foie gras or a four ceviche sampler. Soup or salads range from about $6 to $9. Entrees are high teens to mid twenties. Desserts are $7. Portion size was perfectly acceptable to me.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I also went last night, my wife and I part of a group of five that allowed us to try eight appetizers and five entrees, sharing a communal dessert. I posted several comments on Chowhound in response to John B's. post (who went with us). Generally, my comments should be taken with a tablespoon of salt since this was the restaurant's third or fourth day of operation and many things can change. I also say this since my wife and I went to Colvin Run on its second day and still haven't been back. We also went to D. C. Coast on its second day and returned nine or ten times over the next several months driving in from Reston.

It will be a long time before I go back to Ceiba.

Both Gus (a wonderful ambassador for the front of the room ) and Jeff Tunks were there working the bar and dining room. The bar will be a smash hit, certain to be enormously popular.

Of the eight appetizers only three were noteworthy: a knockout pork shoulder served as small bites, shrimp ceviche (better than Guajillo) and the empanadas noted above. The lava bowl was a nice presentation with really flavorless glop inside nothing at all like any other queso fundido that I've ever had. The three other ceviches were merely "OK."

Entrees were hugely disappointing with the most noteworthy failure (in my opinion) the vaunted red snapper vera cruz. This is a crispy whole head on fish with sauce incorporating tomatoes, olives, green pepper and so forth. At best it's only "ok." For an example of whar really good snapper verz cruz tastes like look up the May issue of Bon Appetit whose version incorporates raisons, olives, capers, tomatoes, etc. over a red snapper filet. MUCH more flavorful, deeper and more complex, if you will. I love the smoked lobster that Jeff Tunks introduced at the River Club, almost as much as Wolfgang Puck's version at Chinois. At D. C. Coast and Ten Penh my wife orders it every time. Last night his "spiny lobster" was just a pale imitation despite the deep fried spinach which accompanied it. Sugar cane shrimp were very good, a bit short of what I've had in Miami. The Brazilian shellfish stew and the fifth entree were essentially nondescript.

For the bar, for three of the appetizers this restaurant will become quite popular. For the long run it can't escape the comparisons to Cafe Atlantico, perhaps even Zaytinya or Ortanique. Cafe Atlantico is much preferred by me. While I do like the amibence of Cieba I think it's not just a matter of smoothing out opening jitters. I think they need to go back and rethink many, if not most of their recipes. It's simply not in league with D. C. Coast or, even, Ten Penh.

We actually had a discussion as to whether this restaurant will make it. For two years, yes. Longer, well, this lacks the promise of, say, Zaytinya. For me this is by far their weakest effort to date.

• 2 weeks later...

Jen and I made it there this evening. It was good, but I would echo what most have said - that I am not rushing back right away. Although that might be because I am completely stuffed right now.

We started with the ceviche sampler. I am embarrassed to admit that this was the first time I have ordered ceviche on my own (as opposed to stealing a bite or two off of someone else's plate). It was interesting to me that each of the four fishes had a different very texture. My two favorites were the shrimp and the tuna, while my wife's favorite was the halibut.

We then had the crab fritters and the duck confit empanadas. Both of these were good on their own, but the sauces that came with them - a "Spicy Scotch Bonnet Chili, Mango Lime Crème Fraiche" with the fritters and the afore mentioned "Sour Orange Huacatay Mojo" were overpowering and too spicy.

Our entrees were the Seared Scallops with gnocchi, balck beans and a corn sauce. The gnocchi didn't add much to the dish, but I did like the slight sweetness provided by the corn sauce. The Pork Shank Feijoada was homey and very filling (that's why I am so stuffed right now). Nothing too flavorful aside from a light smokiness, but very satisfying.

For desserts we had the churros and the Vanilla-Bean Cheesecake with

Guava Jelly and Mango-Lime Salad. The chessecake was perfectly serviceable, but nothing special. The churros were perfectly crisp outside while retaining a chewy softness inside. I have to say that I wasn't sure if I was supposed to dip the churros in the chocolate or drink it so I did both.

With our meal, we had several of the good, strong cocktails including mojitos and mango margaritas.

I forget who mentioned that they thought everything was alittle under seasoned, but aside from the sauces with the appetizers I would agree. While I understand that not everything in the region is fierly hat, I do think of it being a very flavorful cuisine (or group of cuisines) and I didn't feel that here.

This was similar to my one and only meal at TenPenh - I enjoyed it while I was there but I haven't been back in the two years since. There are a few other items I wanted to sample, but there are probably going to be other restaurants I would rather sample more.

One other thing that was unusual. When we arrived at the host stand (we had made our reservations through Open Table) the host said "Russell party of two - your reservation says eGullet VIPs." I didn't mention anything about eGullet in my reservation so either someone at the restaurant is lurking or someone among us called ahead for me. Either way - thanks, whoever it was.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

Bill Russell said:

"One other thing that was unusual. When we arrived at the host stand (we had made our reservations through Open Table) the host said "Russell party of two - your reservation says eGullet VIPs." I didn't mention anything about eGullet in my reservation so either someone at the restaurant is lurking or someone among us called ahead for me. Either way - thanks, whoever it was. "

Bill,

Let me shead some light on this. Tonight (Saturday), I met the boys at BDC for the late night chefs table. We broke up around 2. (Had an excellent Argentine Rib Eye, BTW. The mussels were perfect, as well). Next door is one of my favorite bars in Washington, Timberlake's. We stopped in. After hugging Mr. T, all the bartenders and assorted customers, I saw David Wizenberg at the bar. David is one of the 3 guys responsible for Ceiba. He introduced me to Chris Cline, the executive chef of Ceiba. I have to say that I have not met a more passionate, intense, dedicated and excited chef from any restaurant in a long time. We had a great conversation. In talking to David, I found out that he does indeed read eG. As a matter of fact, he has some questions for my friend DonRocks. :shock: I plan on giving this place some time to settle down, and then trying it. In relation to the Andale thread, I spoke with Chris about not being a Yucatan native. His reponse was revealing. He told me that they were able to take the flavors and ingredients and find better ones HERE. Next time there, ask if Chris is in the kithcen and if he can come out and talk for a minute about the food. I'm sure, as an eGullet VIP, that it will make a world of difference.

Mark

In talking to David, I found out that he does indeed read eG. As a matter of fact, he has some questions for my friend DonRocks.  :shock:

Tell him to redirect his questions to MarkSommelier re: Allison Swope

he says, while hauling ass...

--> run :shock: run --> run :shock: run --> run :shock: run --> run :shock:

And I bet DonRocks will be more than prepared to address those questions publicly and frankly, as he has since he discovered eG. That's the real value of our nascent but growing eG DC community--the exchanges that can take place between diner, critic, food writer/editor, chef, pastry chef and sommelier in full view--uniquely raise appreciation and awareness even in disagreement.

I found something Mark just wrote interesting on few different levels: "In relation to the Andale thread, I spoke with Chris about not being a Yucatan native. His reponse was revealing. He told me that they were able to take the flavors and ingredients and find better ones HERE. Next time there, ask if Chris is in the kithcen and if he can come out and talk for a minute about the food. I'm sure, as an eGullet VIP, that it will make a world of difference." My "cultural immersion" challenge to Mark on that Andale thread aside:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...T&f=34&t=28923&

my initial reaction is this shouldn't make a world of difference, it shouldn't have anything to do with being an eG VIP--and I know Mark was half-joshing with that line--but the best restaurants in my book are the ones that day-in and day-out are practically VIP-blind. I hope Chris (and David) find the time to join us here, in full view--not just late night among industry friends--and here on eG DC is the perfect opportunity for a chef like Chris "to talk about the food" as he sees it. Chris is as welcome as Grant Achatz or David Hawksworth or Heston Blumenthal or any of the other chefs before him who hang here talking about they do, as is every diner like Bill. But every diner should be a VIP--and every dish which goes out should reflect the passion and skill of the chef as consistently as possible.

Mark's other advice resonates with me: "plan on giving this place some time to settle down, and then trying it." It's no surprise if it's "not in league with D. C. Coast or, even, Ten Penh" yet, as Joe writes, but please compare apples to apples--this is a new place and most people are reporting based on but one visit. I also think it's a little unfair to write at this point "this lacks the promise of, say, Zaytinya." If anyone "expected" a new restaurant to be one of the 5 restaurants nominated nationally for the James Beard "Best New Restaurant" as Zaytinya was, that would be like missing the forest and the trees.

Let's give Chris and the rest of his team some time to deliver.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Mark, thanks for the Intel.

In looking back at my post from last night I realized tht it probably came across as a little more cranky than it should have (probably because I was so full).

I did enjoy my meal and would encourage people to try it out, especially as things come more into focus. I'm not just saying this because the chef reads the board. I'm saying it beacuse the city needs more places that are doing something a little different than the norm and that needs to be encouraged. This is why I went early in Ceiba's life.

I would still stand by the comments about the full flavors not coming through, but my guess is that a chef as committed as Mark as described would read comments like this and make adjustments. Maybe I ordered things that aren't by nature as flavorful as others in their original state.

My comments about having other restaurants that I am more interested in going back to are more a reflection of how many places I haven't been yet and want to try. My wife and I are spending a lot of weekend evenings (and money) trying to make up for lost time in going to new places. That comes at the expense of other places we have been to, tried and liked quite a bit.

Just looking at two examples concerning participants from from this board. I really enjoyed our "on a whim" meal at Firefly and want to take Jen back somethime soon, but we haven't beenable to squeeze it in yet. And I still have yet to go to Citronelle (although I think that may be Jen's birthday dinner in December).

I would assume that this is a tough thing for many restaurants - the fact that there are a lot of new a interesting places opening up, competing for limited diners and limited dollars. It's great from the consumer end, but I would have to imagine that it is a real pain in the ass from the chef and restaurateur side of the equation.

Bill Russell

After hugging Mr. T, all the bartenders and assorted customers, I saw David Wizenberg at the bar. David is one of the 3 guys responsible for Ceiba. . . . In talking to David, I found out that he does indeed read eG.

This made me chuckle...I am David's little sister, and I quite recently introduced him to eGullet! Ooooh, he owes me... :raz:

She blogs: Orangette

Thanks Ch&Ch. David is, of course, welcome to post as much or as little as he likes here. I'm sure we would all like to hear something of his experience opening this place if he has the time. I think Mr. Klc made some excellent points about what the discussion is like here.

I just went back and read what I wrote after visiting Cieba, and I think I still stand by it. The place was brand new, literally days old, and there were a few issues. I suspect everything I mentioned can be dealt with easily. I haven't returned yet, so for all I know they already have been. And like I said, I have a warm place in my heart for anyone in this country who is willing to serve shrimp with their heads.

On the other hand, maybe they are right on track and headed for a huge success as is. Perhaps I'm just not their target customer; maybe deconstructionist avant-garde-loving espuma slurpers like me just aren't going to get what they are all about.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Steve, is there any particular reason that you seem to pick apart and criticize s many of my posts? Look at my post above again. I clearly note that it should be taken with a grain of salt since the restaurant had just opened. I also commented about early visits to Colvin Run and D. C. Coast.

I'll get to the bottom of this.

The crack team of investigators are descending on Ceiba presently.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Expecting a full report from The Ballers' Convention

Rocks, you loser, you missed a great lunch. Matt would have loved this place.

I found myself today at Ceiba having late lunch with 2 great friends who are also chefs (Citronelle and Firefly). Right off the bat: I really liked this place. We were warmly greeted and well served. The place is very handsome. Nice historical building. Small disclaimer: I'm friends with the guys who own this. That aside, lunch was spectacular. We basically ordered all the appetizers minus the soups and mixed greens. 3 of us had 11 plates. These were the memorable dishes: shrimp ceviche, duck empanadas, fish tacos, the Cubano (!!!), shrimp filled chili relleno, and the CARAMEL POPCORN! Can't wait to check it out at night.

Mark

Alright. Mikey, Marky and meself had lunch today. We ate a lot of the menu. Alas it was difficult, but we did it for you, the dear reader.

Beautiful space. Big space, this place will do well, I will guarantee that.

Service was agreeable. We were probably difficult in our non-difficultness. "Bring us all the apps except for these three, and these entrees". We ate a good chunk of the offerings.

Highlights: Swordfish carpaccio with (stuff, c'mon, it was late), ceviches (good quality, good flavor, we had shrimp with avocado and grouper with green olives), queso fundido with poblanos and skirt steak, conch chowder, cubano sandwich, etc. Everything was well seasoned. Everything was tasty. Will it please everybody? I hope so. There will be traditionalists that will balk, it might be too spicy for some, not spicy enough for others. I thought it was a good experience. And I'll go back.

I chose the wines (no small feat considering I had the best harpsichordist/sommelier ever at my table).

We had a Muga blanco (I think viura and chard barrel fermented) for around $30, a quality albarino for $39, and a Pesquera '97 for $49. Lots of quality bargains to be had (we even drank a lot of wine for the dear readers). Only thing? White wine glasses. And red wine temps. But that can be overcome.

Bottom line, I've never been to a Tunks & Co. joint before. I had a good time today, and I'll return. Does it satisfy my real-deal Mexican food fix? Who cares. It's a good place.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Think everyone has it right...Ceiba is new shows some promise but nothing a wow yet. Went there last week, we had one of the ceviches, and chille relleno and the Rib-eye steak(sorry no more details, didn't write them down). The ceviche was OK --though my girlfriend (she's Peruvian) likes it a lot which may mean more. Nothing special about the Relleno, the steak was tasty with a good chimichurri sauce and big enough to split. Cheesecake for dessert was excellent though not as good as the (free) caramel popcorn which was fabulous and addictive (we fought over the leftover kernels on the way home).

Only had wine by the glass, a decent Priorat that needed some time to open up--but ohboy those redwine glasses...disastrous...please someone nicely tell the folks at Ceiba to get some serious glasses.

All in all, I'd go back, though might not but for the popcorn...

I concur with most of the posts so far. I had dinner there last week and thought the empanadas and chicherones were fantastic, but the entrees left a little to be desired. However, the service was impeccable! I ate only half of my entree and the manager brought my plate back to me and asked me if anything was wrong. I told him that it just wasn't what I expected, considering that halibut is such a mild fish that I figured it would have been jazzed up more. My boyfriend and I were shocked to receive the bill and find out that the manager had removed both of our entrees, and both he and our waiter apologized repeatedly for the fact that we didn't thoroughly enjoy our experience. On this alone, I'm willing to give them a second chance, although probably lunch this time. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I had a good meal at Ceiba tonight.

The freebies are more than worthy. The little wedge-basket-thing of tortillas with some sort of cumin powder, and the accompanying dip with pumpkinseed (?) et al were complex, interesting and very, very good. A sampler of ceviche ($15) is a fine introduction to these original renditions and would be appropriate for a group of 2-3 people; solo diners would be better off choosing the one that sounds best to them on the menu (around $9), or possibly trying the swordfish carpaccio in its stead. Duck empanadas were tasty and well-priced - another perfect group nibbler. And then there was the red snapper Vera Cruz which was a whole fish that was beautifully cooked and presented. The sauce was bland, yes, but so what - how many whole red snappers do you see at $23? At this price, it bordered on being charity as I'd normally expect this dish to push $30 in a place such as this.

The wine list is young but varied and strong, with many interesting wines to be found at under $40 if you know how to swim.

Ceiba is a slick, polished restaurant with a prime location. The atmosphere is welcoming and the large space is divided up so that it feels surprisingly intimate. Ceiba compares with Zaytinya more than some people might care to admit in that it's big volume, it's an impressive space, it fills a certain price point, and it's "ethnic." People looking for a tasty, satisfying meal rather than fine dining will enjoy Ceiba - it's fun, and it has delicious food. The Dumbing Up Of America? Perhaps, in that it's a big step up from what we could have expected ten years ago (think: Rio Grande, Paolo's, Cactus Cantina) or twenty years ago (AV, Marrakesh). Ceiba also makes me think of how cutting edge Red Sage was within this genre.

If I had a group of people looking for a fun, lively place to dine, I would take them to Ceiba without hesitation - it's perfect for this, and I would happily return.

Looking for a rave review? You won't find it from me. But I will say that I don't know of any other restaurant in Washington that's any better than this for what it is. I'd like to see others here on Egullet try Ceiba on an uncrowded midweek evening, and post their thoughts and opinions here.

An interesting academic exercise would be comparing one of the duck empanadas next to a saltena ordered from El Pike restaurant in Falls Church. :cool:

Cheers,

Rocks.

Edited by DonRocks (log)

Hey there -- new poster here.

I had lunch at Ceiba last week and was pleasantly surprised. I had the tuna ceviche and the conch soup. Both were excellent. The soup in particular, I thought, did a nice job by adding a smoky chile layer that wasn't too overpowering. And, if you wanted to spike it up, it comes accompanied by a little glass of Myers rum and somehting else. Heck, if you don't like the soup, you can still do a shot of the rum.

Entrees were notch off the appetizers. Indeed, I can remember too much about mine, other than it was a fish dish.

That being said, service was uniformly excellent, and the space is a real looker. I imagine this will be a very popular restaurant -- a glamour spot in a city that frankly could use some more of them.

Cheers,

CC

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)