• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Browning whole sausages

MatthewB

Last night I tried out Arthur Swartz's recipe for pasta fazool.

He's fairly insistent that one brown whole sausages by starting the sausages in a cold pan with a bit of oil & then browning them over medium-low to low heat.

The fresh sausages I used were "arced" so it was quite difficult--but still enjoyable--to keep moving the sausages at weird angles in order to get the middle & ends of the sides that were arced.

Any techniques to make browning whole "arced" sausages easier?

I find that covering the pan helps. You never get them evenly browned, but keeping the hot air close to the sausage helps. It won't work in conjunction with guajolote's suggestion (a technique which I've nevertheless found useful), because of the moisture released by the vegetables.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

He's fairly insistent that one brown whole sausages by starting the sausages in a cold pan with a bit of oil & then browning them over medium-low to low heat.

I'm trying to figure out why it is so important to brown sausages to an exacting standard if they are going to wind up, as I assume they are, either in chunks or out of their casings in a soupy dish with many other ingredients. Does Swartz say why?

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Man - this is SCARY. I just made a sausage stew this morning and had the same trouble - those sausages just seemed to be bending their backs to avoid the heat! I don't remember similar problems before but I ascribe that to my lackadaisical attitude in the past - Mario changed all that when he lectured that the big difference in taste between home-cooked and restaurant meals was the attention paid in the browning stage!

Anna N

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm trying to figure out why it is so important to brown sausages to an exacting standard if they are going to wind up, as I assume they are, either in chunks or out of their casings in a soupy dish with many other ingredients. Does Swartz say why?

Swartz wants crunchy skins & juicy sausage.

So the idea is to brown the whole sausages, set aside, slice into 1/4 inch pieces & add to the soup just before serving. The sausage slices don't simmer in the soup.

To get brown all over have you tried roasting on a rack?

Healthier too!

J

This is what I often do. At 450 F.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

To get brown all over have you tried roasting on a rack?

Healthier too!

J

This is what I often do. At 450 F.

I have always just accepted that sausages are only browned on two sides. I can see why you would be more picky about it in the Swartz recipe.

*Smacks forehead with heal of hand*

But then, I never thought of a rack in the oven. DUH!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose