• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying venison in New York City

Callipygos

It was suggested to me that I post this portion of my emergency here.

My beloved's birthday is in two days, and I grandly announced that as a birthday treat, I would make him a dinner -- "you name it, I'll cook it."

Little did I know he would say "venison."

It is now Sunday morning. Dinner is scheduled for Tuesday night. Does anyone know where I can find a modestly-sized portion of venison in Manhattan, within the next 36 hours? I don't want an entire leg for an intimate dinner for two...

Otomanelli on Bleecker St. has had it in the past. Not sure if it is seasonal, though.

I believe Ottomanelli carries frozen game year round. I don't know what might be in stock at any given time, but venison shouldn't be impossible to find in NY if you're willing to buy farm raised venison and particularly if you're willing to buy it frozen. If buying frozen meat, you should let it defrost overnight in the refrigerator and thus buy it on Monday and not on Tuesday for serving on Tuesday.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Otomanelli on Bleecker St. has had it in the past. Not sure if it is seasonal, though.

I believe Ottomanelli carries frozen game year round. I don't know what might be in stock at any given time, but venison shouldn't be impossible to find in NY if you're willing to buy farm raised venison and particularly if you're willing to buy it frozen.

I have had absolutely no experience with venison before this, so buying farm raised wouldn't be something I'd turn my nose up at.

I made it his problem -- I asked him where I'd obtain it. He also suggested Citarella, but I'll check at Otamanelli. He also said Balducci's, but they've closed, yes? (I'm much more used to Key Food...)

I'll try Otamanelli tomorrow (it's closest to where I live). Now I just have to find a way to prepare it....

I believe Ottomanelli carries frozen game year round. I don't know what might be in stock at any given time, but venison shouldn't be impossible to find in NY if you're willing to buy farm raised venison and particularly if you're willing to buy it frozen.

I have had absolutely no experience with venison before this, so buying farm raised wouldn't be something I'd turn my nose up at.

I made it his problem -- I asked him where I'd obtain it. He also suggested Citarella, but I'll check at Otamanelli. He also said Balducci's, but they've closed, yes? (I'm much more used to Key Food...)

I'll try Otamanelli tomorrow (it's closest to where I live). Now I just have to find a way to prepare it....

There is a citarella where balduchi's used to be. Which is also near ottamenlli.

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

Also, there is a vendor in the Union Square greenmarket that garies game and on saturday they had venison.  I assume they'll be in the market on monday.

thats a good Idea, the stand at teh green market has always had venison, from what i've seen.

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

I have purchased Venison racks at Citarella on the upper west side many times. They usually have them in stock at the butcher counter. Also, you can go online to www.dartagnan.com and they carry plenty of cuts of venison and will ship to you overnight.

This is not some exotic wild game. The Food Emporium carries D'Artagnan products, at least the one I go to does, and I'm pretty sure the others would, too. Or if you really want to go to a fancy butcher, try Giovanni Esposito on Ninth Avenue and 38th Street. (Get some of their sausage while you're at it. :wub: )

As for recipes, that will depend on what cut you get. Once you get it, tell us and we'll suggest what you can do with it. :biggrin:

A few comments. The Greenmarket in Union Square is not as full of vendors on Monday, but it may still be worth a try. Since Callipygos is near Ottomanelli, that's probably her best bet. Citarella took over the Balducci store on Sixth Avenue and Ninth Street, so that's close by and the Jefferson Market is just north on sixth Avenue and may be another choice. I'd be surprised if she couldn't get a few chops or a loin tomorrow and the three places are really close enough to comparison shop if she has time.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

A few comments. The Greenmarket in Union Square is not as full of vendors on Monday, but it may still be worth a try. Since Callipygos is near Ottomanelli, that's probably her best bet. Citarella took over the Balducci store on Sixth Avenue and Ninth Street, so that's close by and the Jefferson Market is just north on sixth Avenue and may be another choice. I'd be surprised if she couldn't get a few chops or a loin tomorrow and the three places are really close enough to comparison shop if she has time.

I'm at work until 6 so the Union Square greenmarket is out. I'm much more attuned to more conventional fare -- much more akin to "take ordinary cheap ingredients and make something exotic OF them" than "start WITH exotica." For me, venison IS exotic....

Just did some calling around -- Citarella is out, because it would have to special-order something for far too much money anyway. Otomanelli in the Village has stew meat for $7.99, and Whole Foods in Chelsea has medallions for a similar price.

I'm leaning towards the medallions, because it seems they would be easiest to prepare quickly (I won't be able to start dinner until 7 tomorrow night or so, and if I went with stew, I was envisioning him showing up and the two of us sitting there waiting the requisite two hours for stew to stew, and then being so hungry we snarf everything down so fast we may as well be just eating burgers). I've got another thread in the "cooking" section addressing the preparing -- but it looks like the procuring is all set.

Thanks!

Edited by Callipygos (log)