• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suvir Your Book

rajsuman

Hi Suvir,

Just wondering how long I'll have to wait ... Please, please, PLEASE make sure you include all the secrets that most other cookbooks neglect to tell you. I'm particularly waiting for Panditji's Paneer Koftas. And how about Bukhara's famous Dal Makhani? Will there be a UK edition (I find it so much more convenient to weigh rather than go by volumes) ? One of my favourite books on Indian cooking is 'The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking' by Yamuna Devi, because she, unlike most authors, explains in great detail the techniques, the temperatures etc. It's the next best thing to having a personal cooking coach. To think I only paid £3 for such a magnificent book! I'd have happily paid a lot more than that.

Best wishes with your book,

Suman

Hi Suvir,

Just wondering how long I'll have to wait ... Please, please, PLEASE make sure you include all the secrets that most other cookbooks neglect to tell you. I'm particularly waiting for Panditji's Paneer Koftas. And how about Bukhara's famous Dal Makhani? Will there be a UK edition (I find it so much more convenient to weigh rather than go by volumes) ? One of my favourite books on Indian cooking is 'The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking' by Yamuna Devi, because she, unlike most authors, explains in great detail the techniques, the temperatures etc. It's the next best thing to having a personal cooking coach. To think I only paid £3 for such a magnificent book!  I'd have happily paid a lot more than that.

Best wishes with your book,

Suman

There are NO secrets in my book, since no friends or family members I relied on for recipes, kept any from me. What I learned, I have shared. And to ensure there is nothing held back, each recipe has been cooked by me, I have been watched, studied, measured, weighed and documented by my co-writer, Stephanie Lyness, restaurant critic for NY Times (CT Section) and a food writer and recipe writer with years of experience and many successful works to her credit.

It was tough (in a very good way) working with her, for she was exacting, precise and a perfectionist, but we soon became friends and admirers. We each had a lot more in common than we differed on. And her recipe writing skills are far superior than most in the trade. All I can say is that when I was introduced to Stephanie for my cookbook, we each quickly found the other fascinating. Many a friend, including professional cookbook writers, tried to discourage me from having a co-writer, for it diluted my advance, since I would have to share it. And now, since the manuscript has been submitted and the book is in production, I feel I only gained from this partnership. Stephanie has been a consummate writer, steady and trained set of eyes, hawkishly looking for those small steps, pinches of ingredients and little intricacies that would take place at any given moment, and could go unnoticed by all but the person that makes it their mission to look for what a chef does when they are not really being watched. That should give you an idea of how thorough she has been in her documentation of what takes place every time I cook a certain recipe. And for each recipe, we have had many levels of interaction and exchange to ensure a logical series of documentation that educates even as it gives confidence and faith to those even totally new to this cuisine of India.

A well respected and well placed cooking magazine publisher who read the manuscript in its most early form, said of our partnership that " .....Stephanie Lyness took scrupulous note of every phase of a dish’s execution, pausing to ask for clarification or amplification along the way in order to transmit any fugitive details or relevant food lore to the recipe’s eventual users, the trusting cookbook public."

Our collaboration made it easy for me to cook, unencumbered by the need to document each step myself. And it made it easy for her to sit at the laptop and watch and document at the same time. The margin of error, in which one could forget, change or omit a certain step, was reduced to as low as one could imagine

The book is in production now. Clarkson Potter, an imprint of Random House is the publisher. I was indeed lucky and rather fortunate. For years, they had been one of the few houses publishing cookbooks that I really admired and respected. They do a great job in bringing out books that are prized for most all attributes that one looks for in a serious cookbook. Their standards have not been compromised as much as I am told one has seen elsewhere lately. Amazon.com has the book listed already. It is due early fall of 2004.

My editor also happens to be a passionate cook and a fan of many cuisines other than her native American fare. That has given me hope and also great encouragement in going the extra yard to do all I can to ensure the sharing of all the tiny stories that I have ever learned about food in the Indian life that I found myself being a part of from my early childhood. The recipes as I share in the book, are translations of how I have adapted the cuisine of my beloved India into the world I inhabit in the city I call home today, New York City.

Whilst there is little if at all anything I can change in the book at this point, I must say I have tried to share with the trusted readers of cookbooks all that I know.

I am not sure what other countries the book will be sold in just yet.

Many thanks for your interest in my book. And thanks for also sharing what you want from a cookbook. Such feedback is very helpful.

Your reflections about Yamuna Devis books are very flattering. But also say a lot about her book. I have enjoyed reading it and found it amazingly rich. I have not cooked from it, but am glad to hear you find it like a personal cooking coach. That is a great compliment to Yamuna Devi and her book. All cookbook authors should aspire to leave a similar impression. :smile:

Suvir, ever seriously think of doing a restaurant to add another dimension of the cook book?

Yes, I have and I will have a restaurant. The only thing I think more of is timing and ensuring I have planned as much of it seriously as I can. New York gives few chances to people... why rush and take a silly risk?

Hi Suvir,

Somehow you seem like the kind of person who loves to share things, be it food or recipes. I'm sure your cookbook will do well. Thanks for welcoming me into the forum. Sorry I haven't properly introduced myself yet, will do that in the near future.

Suman

Hi Suvir,

Somehow you seem like the kind of person who loves to share things, be it food or recipes. I'm sure your cookbook will do well. Thanks for welcoming me into the forum. Sorry I haven't properly introduced myself yet, will do that in the near future.

Suman

Look forward to the near future when we get to know more about you and read more posts from you. :smile:

Again, welcome to this forum and eGullet. You shall quickly learn that it can get very addictive her. :rolleyes:

Too many wonderful and engrossing discussions of things dear to all our hearts and stomachs.

Suvir - Congratulations on your book. That is wonderful. You are very fortunate to have such a talented co-writer and to be published by Clarkson Potter. Fall 2004 feels like a long way away. I will look forward to it.

Richard

Any more pre release info on the book?

What did you do about Photography?

Photography is finished. It was shot between my own home and the photographers. They are the work of Ben Fink, a very talented and very impressive photographer.

As for more information, Episure, you can always email me and I can answer myself or have someone from Clarkson Potter give you the information you need.

What info are you looking for?

Suvir:

I too cannot wait for the arrival of your book.  I've already learned so much from this forum and am excited to try more recipes!

Matt in Minnesota

Thanks Matt in Minnesota for your encouraging words.

This forum, is only what each of you members make it. Your posts, your impressions and your words enrich it daily. I should be the one thanking each of you. :smile: