• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

We'll be in Paris in two weeks.

Bux

My dog, friend, and I had the great pleasure having dinner last night with Bux, Mrs. B, delights, delights mother, David Bizer, and David's girlfriend at L'Auvergne Gourmande last night. Met fresh_a after for drinks - kicked off with beers on the street with Chef Christian Constant himself.

I wish we could bring our little Westie with us. Anyway, Donna and I would be delighted if we could meet some of the egullet contigent in Paris. We'll be in town from Oct. 22 to Oct. 26. Salut!

Yeah, fun time had by all. Very happy to have spent what little time I had with everyone. And then to guzzle beer with Constant was the icing on the cake!

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

bieres.jpg

The icing on the cake (see above). I have to admit to feeling I missed something by not eating at Chef Constant's new bistro. We were impressed by his hospitality and can't imagine it not carrying over to the way he treats his diners. It certainly was a rare moment and a privilege standing on the dark street corner sharing beers and hospitatlity with the chef as he was closing up the bistro.

It was really great meeting everyone.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Hey, who's that handsome guy in the back of the left??!?

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

I missed you all by about a month -- and I spent most of my few days in Paris lugging a Spanish 1st Edition of the third El Buli cookbook from Librarie Gourmand to museums, restaurants and then back to the hotel. Ugh. Sounds like all of you had a much better time. (Of course, I got a kick butt book out of it all.)

-Little Blue

----------------------------------------------

Emily in London

http://www.august18th2007.com

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, who's that handsome guy in the back of the left??!?

The no show at dinner who arrived just in time to play host for the after dinner session.

eGdinner.jpg

It was a small group and not all stayed around for the post dinner party but I think we all enjoyed the food and company. It was good to see an old face and great to meet those with whom I've only had electronic contact before, although we had already managed to meet several of the new faces earlier in the week and the evening had the sense of being with old friends.

There are plenty of places to eat in Paris, and there is both better food to be found and less expensive restaurants, but I think Louisa did a great job in picking l'Auvergne Gourmande. There was a limited prixe fixe menu with wine included at a most reasonable accord of quality to price and the restaurant was most accommodating and friendly. There's a table that seats ten in the front and one that seats five in the rear of the little restaurant. Tables are high and diners sit on stools. If you're a small party, you will share the table with others. The food is honest and enjoyable.

As I recall dinner was something around 30 euros for three courses of simple, but sophisticated cooking. Mineral water is included and we were given two bottles of red wine for the eight of us. Both the St. Pourcian and Irouleguy were rustic, but enjoyable and served chilled. My first course was a very satisfying velvety soup that incorporated fourme d'Ambert, one of my favorite blue cheeses. There were a few salads among the first courses. The one I recall the best was centered on an oeuf en gelée--a wonderful soft cooked egg set in aspic on a bed of greens. Mrs. B had a salad of three cold raviloli on a bed of greens. Her complaint was that the greens needed dressing. I think I also lucked out with a cassolette of snails in red wine sauce. Mrs. B had a stew with mashed potatoes. The restaurant was not brightly lit and the flash washed out closeups of the food and I was just getting used to the camera, but here's a shot of the crème brulée dessert.

cremebrulee.jpg

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

Bux, I recognize the woman front right, but who are the other folks? Caption, svp.

Hmm, is it proper to identify non-members? Should I have gotten a release before posting the photograph? From left to right by ID only. Lou's roommate, Loufood, Delights' mother, Delights, David Bizer, the reason David has such a big smile, yours truly, Mrs. B.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

bieres.jpg

The icing on the cake (see above). I have to admit to feeling I missed something by not eating at Chef Constant's new bistro. We were impressed by his hospitality and can't imagine it not carrying over to the way he treats his diners. It certainly was a rare moment and a privilege standing on the dark street corner sharing beers and hospitatlity with the chef as he was closing up the bistro.

It was really great meeting everyone.

What a lovely picture!

Thanks.

Philippe raynaud

Les d�lices du Net

Les D�lices de Daubenton-Paris