• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thrown out of Vegetarian restaurant

=Mark

I serve god by not blaming my bad habits or the way I treat others on him.

How wonderfully said.

We need to hear these words more often in a world so easily using God to incite hate and other bad habits.

amen

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

My friend who keeps a Kosher home will eat in mine, even though I don't separate milk and meat dishes, and happily keep bacon in my fridge.  She'll eat ice cream after a meat-meal, though only after waiting an hour. (It's been suggested that she's confused Kashruth with the equally firm Jewish tenet that one must wait an hour after eating a tuna sandwich before going swimming  :biggrin: .)

Actually there are differences of opinion about how long one should wait after eating meat before eating dairy. Jews who families come from The Netherlands hold by one hour. Others wait three hours (which is what I do, I adopted my husband's custom). Some wait into the sixth hour (5 hours and 1 minute) and others, such as my mother wait a full six hours. My great-grandmother, would either eat meat or dairy on a day, but not the other.

The waiting period only applies when going from meat to dairy. You could eat ice cream and then have a meat meal, provided you washed out your mouth. But most people will wait a length of time anyway. The only exception is with aged, hard cheese. In that case, waiting applies, I actually think 6 hours is specified in this case. It has to do with length of digestion, if I remember my halacha (jewish law). It's been awhile since I studied this stuff in depth.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs