• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bar near Locanda Locatelli sought

hey, any ideas of nice bars near to locanda locatelli where a lovely girl (me) could wait for someone for a while without being hit on? our table's booked for 7:15 and i'm at a loose end for an hour or so beforehand. don't really want to roam the streets and i don't really know that part of town.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

Whilst not exactly next door, the cocktail bar at Claridges is:

a) in the neighbourhood

b) a gorgeous bar (comfortable and classy with good cocktails);

c) not renowned as a pick-up joint

What's more two or three cocktails will barely cost you more than dinner at Locatelli ! (c.£10 a pop). But since you're spoiling yourselves that evening anyway, why not pay it a visit....?

Its a bit of a desert in the immeadiate area. There's the Cumberland Hotel on Oxfrod Street right by Marble Arch tube, but its undergoing a re-furb, so is a bit of a building site I understand. Locatelli is part of the Intercontinental Hotel which of course has a bar. The Tapa room in Marlybone High Street is about a 10 minute walk from Locatelli and is a nice place for a drink, as long as its not too busy.

fantastic idea gareth, but you and i have very different ideas about what's close :-) i think this is because you're not wearing 4 inch heels.

any other ideas?

Edited by tarka (log)

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

Well there's a bar in the hotel where LL is situated. Couldn't get closer.

It really is not very pleasant though, if it is the cigar divan that you are thinking of ... I would have said that it was a prime pick up joint too.

What about Match on Margaret Street?

Well there's a bar in the hotel where LL is situated. Couldn't get closer.

It really is not very pleasant though, if it is the cigar divan that you are thinking of ... I would have said that it was a prime pick up joint too.

It is fantastic in an "Old British Hotel Cigar/Bar" sort of way :raz: . Good Cocktails when I was there. It does seem to lack a little atmosphere though. :sad:

I can only echo what everyone else has said though, there is nowhere to drink in that area - maybe there is some sort of business opportunity there :hmmm:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

fantastic idea gareth, but you and i have very different ideas about what's close :-) i think this is because you're not wearing 4 inch heels.
any other ideas?

Yes. Wear sensible shoes and carry your Manolos with you in their original bag (which says MANOLO BLAHNIK on it in big black letters). Walk to the restaurant and then swap shoes outside. Once inside hand the bag now containing your sensible shoes to the concierge/maitreD/flunky and ask them to put it in the cloakroom. This has two advantages:

a) you get a comfortable walk to the restaurant

b) you get the warm thrill of being able to announce "I've got a pair of Manolo Blahniks !!!" to your date, the staff and anyone else watching, without in any way appearing vulgar.

Hope this helps !

Yes. Wear sensible shoes and carry your Manolos with you in their original bag (which says MANOLO BLAHNIK on it in big black letters).

i'm not sure this will have quite the same effect with a "jones the bootmaker" bag. :-)

went to the cigar divan in the end. very gentleman's club feel to it. cocktails were ok and the olives horrible.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum