• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

School Potluck

guajolote

Sesame noodles, noodles wi th peanut sauce?

I know there is a recipe for the former in the archive, and I recall Torakris posted a recipe for great peanut sauce somewhere, but it's not in the archive.

Spring rolls?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I ended up making the pastisio. I had been thinking about it even before Dave mentioned it, there must be some weird brain wave action going on between us.

Good stuff at the potluck (and some real bad). I had picadillo tostadas, chicken mole, arroz con gandules, moros y christianos, and some chicken tinga (this was the best). I also took one bite of a meatball that was still raw in the middle :wacko: .

I take frequently take a big bowl of caramel corn to these sorts of things.

It is "different," and everybody loves it. I set it out right away, so folks can snack on it while the other stuff is getting put out.

And it's a great desert, too.

I have always taken small sacks so that people can take some home if there is any left over.

But there never is.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I ended up making the pastisio. I had been thinking about it even before Dave mentioned it, there must be some weird brain wave action going on between us.

What is it? (Correct spelling is pastitsio, right?) I found a few recipes online, but they vary greatly so I'm interested in your definition.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

What is it? (Correct spelling is pastitsio, right?) I found a few recipes online, but they vary greatly so I'm interested in your definition.

There are a number of spellings floating around, the only thing I'm sure of was that mine wasn't right. I looked at a few recipes and combined them.

-I made a sauce of onions, garlic, ground lamb meat, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, cinnamon, nutmeg, and oregano; simmered for 1.5 hours

-Made a bechamel and added some bulgarian sheeps milk cheese who's name I don't know because the price tag covered the name, chopped dill, a little more nutmeg, and then beat three eggs into the bechamel.

-Cooked a pound of pasta and added about 1/3 of the "custard" to the pasta.

In a casserole I layered half the pasta, the lamb sauce, the other half of the pasta, and the rest of the custard. Topped with a couple more tablespoons of grated cheese, and baked in an oven at 350 for about an hour.

The common description (even on authentic restaurant menus) is "Greek lasagne," and it's pretty apt.

Sounds great, G. How did it go over?

It was gone when we left, but I don't know if everyone ate their portion because Americans don't eat lamb. :wink: