• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dry Mango Powder

Pongi

Hi everybody!

Some time ago, during a trip in India I purchased some dry mango powder. I was told that it was intended for vegetable dishes, so I generally add it to my vegetarian curries, but was wondering whether it's correct or not as I don't know any recipe where it's mentioned. Since I do love the flavour, I would like to know how it can be used - in which type of dishes, before or after cooking and so on.

I also would like to know how long can it last, kept into a glass jar.

TIA!

Pongi

Can last quite some time in a closed jar.

We Indian use it a lot in our vegetarian cooking. At least in the North, it is a mainstay spice in many a vegetarian home. It is used in many recipes even as a substitute for tomatoes.

Along with some other souring agents, this was one of the more popular ones.

Curries, vegetable stir fries and even some salad type dishes and snacks have this powder.

I was preparing an elaborate tasting menu yesterday and it was at least in a couple of the dishes we made.

I know we have had a thread on souring agents in Indian cooking... I shall see if I can search for that thread and link it to this.

If you email me at chef@suvir.com, I shall be glad to send you some recipes that call for this ingredient.

Hi Pongi,

Here is a simple potatoe dish using amchoor, quite popular in the north. It will give you an idea of one way of using amchoor in a dry dish. we will just call it Sookhae Aloo ( or Dry Potatoes, in case you are not familiar with hindi)

Peel boiled potatoes into one inch cubes.

heat oil in a wok or kadai

add cubed potatoes and cook on medium to low heat.

the trick is to let it brown slowly, turning the potatoes occasionally. Messing around too much will mash the potatoes.

When you have the desired crispness. Add

-Salt

-red chiili powder or cayenne

-garam masalla

-amchoor powder

Mix so the potatoes are well coated.

Heat another minute and serve as a wonderful side dish.

Note: how when you add the amchoor and spices all the oilyness dissapears.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

• 4 weeks later...

I love mango powder with okra (there's a restaurant here in DC called Heritage India that does a nice version).

I found a recipe on the web that works quite well. Though I do a variation where I slit the okra and stuff a bit of mango powder/spice mixture inside before I cook it. The trick to keeping the okra from getting mushy is to make sure it is absolute dry and to refrain from adding any additional liquid; cooking it only in a bit of oil.

Here's the link to the recipe that I use (though I probably use more spices, but it gives you a general idea):

http://mvf.neurophys.wisc.edu/ravi/recipes...s/recipe11.html

I love mango powder with okra (there's a restaurant here in DC called Heritage India that does a nice version).

I found a recipe on the web that works quite well. Though I do a variation where I slit the okra and stuff a bit of mango powder/spice mixture inside before I cook it.  The trick to keeping the okra from getting mushy is to make sure it is absolute dry and to refrain from adding any additional liquid; cooking it only in a bit of oil.

Here's the link to the recipe that I use (though I probably use more spices, but it gives you a general idea):

http://mvf.neurophys.wisc.edu/ravi/recipes...s/recipe11.html

Butterfly -- which Heritage location to you go to. I love the one in Bethesda. What is your favorite dish there? We are thinking of organizing a eG gathering at Heritage next time -- hope you will join us

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice