• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting...(Part 1)

I exercised like a madwoman this week, and have eaten rather low cal all week..tonight, hunger set in. I satiated myself with a marinated London Broil ( flank steak) on the grill, baked pot with full fat sour cream, and a big ass ceasar salad with anchovies! We're on our second bottle of Jordan 99, and I've moved onto wasabi peas, my new "almost healthy" snack.

I went to Sam's Club today to stock up for the kids lunches, so wasabi peas ARE the low cal alternative when one considers all the individually wrapped oreos and cereal bars and go-go yogurts and such that I'm currently stocked with!

:sad: NO Trader Joe's near me.  I'm in central/southern NJ...

How about a health food store?

Wegman's has total, in the natural food section, delivered on Fridays.

I'm in Princeton...the Pathmark on Route One in West Windsor is going to be a whole foods...where are you located?

:laugh: I'm a happy woman!

i went to Trader Joe's!

I got Total Yogurt! On the other hand, I haven't eaten it yet.. :sad:

I drove in the pouring rain to get there!

On a weird note, while in marlton , tried to get something to eat, and being a smoker, felt VERY discrimated against (two restaurants did NOT have smoking sections!)...

Needless to say, we ended up at a diner........................

I think I'm love.....

Tuna packed in oil on a french dinner roll slathered with herb mayo and a homemade spicy dill pickle. :wub:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

cbel964--

you might be able to make "Total Yogurt" at home, if i understand correctly what it is:

--for labneh, or thick Greek-style yogurt "cheese", drain full-fat yogurt overnight in 2-3 layers of cheesecloth in a sieve. makes excellent tsatsiki and dips.

what am i eating right now? whole wheat toast, taramosalata, cold green tea with mint... :smile:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

I'm back on the wasabi peas kick. I'm having a diet coke, and am waiting to determine if I need to drive my 13 year old anywhere tonight..if he can get a ride both ways to the roller rink, I'm going to switch to a Corona.

iced coffee

too lazy to get off my butt and cut myself a slice a of banana bread (with coconut and chocolate chips!) even though my stomach is growling....................... :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Orville Redenbacher's Honey Butter microwave popcorn (the only thing I ever really use the microwave for - except a little reheat, now and then.)

On a weird note, while in marlton , tried to get something to eat, and being a smoker, felt VERY discrimated against (two restaurants did NOT have smoking sections!)...

Don't know where the heck marlton is, but even in the New Hampshire country, dining establishments that allow ANY smoking are very few and far between.

Too bad you feel discriminated against. I realize this may be fodder for a different board, but can't help feeling a little indignant that after too many years of being subjected to smokers' pollution - both as a patron and a restaurant worker, some smokers still don't seem to get it! They (smokers) were discriminating against all of us who wanted to eat and draw a breath of fresh air for far too long! Now, it's your turn.

Go outside and smoke - get some fresh air mixed in with those toxic fumes. :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

I just knocked off the last of a pint of Double Rainbow Meyer Lemon sorbet which came from Trader Joe's. Hey, it's unlikely it would survive Isabel!

I'm eating a Macoun. It's nice and crunchy, and with a sweet-tart flavor. (I broke down at the greenmarket and bought some apples.)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs