• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting...(Part 1)

Wasabi peas.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Technically, I'm not eating it right now....I just ate it. I considered putting this on the "Chinese sausage" thread, but it's not really apropos there, and I couldn't find a general "egg dishes" thread, alas. So here it is--I had to tell someone, and since this site is my substitute for a real life these days, you guys are it! :blink:

I just got back from a better-than-average Chinese noodle shop here in NYC, where I had a dish I had never ordered before: "tender steamed egg with Chinese sausage". I've always loved the flavor of Chinese sausage, and this is just the sort of dish (unusual-sounding) that I would order right away, but I've been to this joint dozens of times and for some reason never tried it before tonight.

It looks like a large bowl full of pale flan, but when one begins to spoon out the egg, the hidden treasure of dozens of slices of Chinese sausage is revealed. Presumably it is simply beaten eggs with the sausage all steamed together in the bowl, but it completely transcended my expectations....the eggs came out feather-light and delicate, the sausage, the perfect sweet-savory foil.

For me, this is almost the perfect comfort food: simple.....delicious.

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

Eric--YUM! What noodle shop?

Mee. There are several around the city....this one was on 9th Ave., corner of 53rd.

If they hadn't screwed up royally, I probably never would have tried that dish at all. I had ordered a plate of soy sauce chicken, and they waited 15 f**king minutes to tell me they were out of it, well after my other dish had come (this sort of thing is, unfortunately, not an isolated incident there). So I had to pick something else that a) I felt like eating, and b) contrasted nicely with the dish that had already appeared. This eliminated most of the things I usually order there. Fortunately for my relationship with the restaurant, the dish was spectacular.

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

budweiser.  listening to something catchy by Spymob.

oh so now it is what we are listening to?

I am listening to the theme song to the Hello Kitty show! :biggrin:

and still drinking iced coffee

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Life Savers. I theorize sucking on hard candy helps my throat feel better. I have no evidence of this but it's comforting if nothing else.

A chocolate frosted donut and iced coffee. I was led into temptation by a co-worker. This is all his fault.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

• 2 weeks later...
Pao de queijo.

Whassat?

Little mint-flavored chocolate chips with sprinkles on them, wrapped in a piece of gauze, leftover from a wedding shower earlier today.

Water.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Cut up musk melon from the greenmarket. It's absolutely delicous.

:smile:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Pao de queijo is Brasilian cheese bread.  It's yummy.

I see. Sounds yummy, just as you described it.

Right now: Doublemint Gum.

But the Garde Manger class is finishing up downstairs. Maybe I'll go and join the line of hungry students outside Kitchen 9, and see what they have to offer.

Noise is music. All else is food.

A leftover dried cherry scone. I made the dough, like, six months ago and froze it to see how it would freeze. Defrosted and baked it off yesterday. Not bad but not nearly as good as fresh. I made a fresh batch to compare yesterday. Biggest difference is the frozen ones tasted like other frozen foods stored near the dough.

Well, I'm actually DRINKING iced coffee, but I'm considering going to find a nice bagel as a means of procrastination (my boss just gave me a huge annoying project). :wacko:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous