• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting...(Part 1)

Just ate Fritz Brenner's sublime scrambled eggs, with tomato and shallot, and toasted English muffins with my aunt's makes-anything-taste-good jam.

And lots of The Brown.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Xanthippe, no "Girl In The Golden Boots???"

Alas, no, elyse! We never got around to taping that one.

But we do have "Rocket Attack, USA"!!

Please, paul o', I want some of that terrine. Might you ship a few slices to me??!? :wink:

On its way, Xan!

This is actually the first terrine I have made, and luck of the draw, it really was very good. Pulled together from a few different folks - Madeleine Kamman gives a good description of proportions, and in the book, Soul of the Chef, Brian Polcyn's Master Chef Certification Exam, his duck terrine. Really nice to see the pink-seared duck breast with a luckily (luckily, as I guessed on spice ratios) well-flavored forcemeat, and the shiitake slices were beautiful. Rich, though!

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

On its way, Xan!

This is actually the first terrine I have made, and luck of  the draw, it really was very good.  Pulled together from a few different folks - Madeleine Kamman gives a good description of proportions, and in the book, Soul of the Chef, Brian Polcyn's Master Chef Certification Exam, his duck terrine.  Really nice to see the pink-seared duck breast with a luckily (luckily, as I guessed on spice ratios) well-flavored forcemeat, and the shiitake slices were beautiful.  Rich, though!

I shall camp out down by the mailbox to await the delivery!!

And a terrine must be rich, no??!? Which is why cornichons are such a perfect go-with: their tartness cuts a bit of that richness. Mustard is good, too, and for the same reason.

What did you come up with as a result of your spice ratio guesswork?

Yep, agree, the little cornichons/acid a good way to cut the richness. Didn't eat with mustard but will for Round 2...

Here's what I made it with:

1/2 # rabbit legs (reserved from rabbit roulade earlier in the week), 1 duck breast, weighing about 2 oz; 1/4 # pork butt, the duck liver, which was a little over 2.5 oz; and an egg white, which was about 2 oz. Therefore, total meat and egg: about a pound. 9 oz. fatback.

The other duck breast, I split lengthwise and pan seared with FL's "squab spice," which I had reserved from when I made the squab and figs, earlier last month. The squab spice consists of: cinnamon, coriander, clove, quatre epice and black pepper.

So, the forcemeat spice ratio: for one pound of meat, 1/3 tsp quatre epice, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1.5 tsp salt. I boiled a small quenelle and cooled to taste, and it tasted spot on, again, luckily.

Merveilleuse!

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Roast beef, salami, smoked turkey, sweet pepper, red onion, tomato, romaine sub with pickles and Krunchers chips.

Over the weekend I made a porcini risotto with red bell pepper and touch of fresh mint, bound with eggs and baked in layers of butter brushed phyllo. It was heavenly saturday. Phyllo doesn't reheat well in the microwave (and my boss refuses to subsidize a toaster oven for my office), so I'm sort of picking around it now.

On deck is some of my girlfriend's world famous bananna pudding. No reheating required.

From the time I was a kid, I had a love affair with Ratners onion rolls/onion pockets. To me, there were few things better in this world than one of those rolls schmeared with sweet butter. (Maybe it was the surly waiters that improved the taste?)

Now that Ratners no longer, I've had to find a substitute and I've settled on Gertel's. So, I'm sitting here eating an onion roll covered with butter. No surly waiters though. :raz:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

iced papaya-passion fruit tea (the last bag! :sad: ) and some mini oatmeal-choclate chip cookies that I bought for the kids, but one is still at school, the other is at a friend's house and the third is sleeping so I am eating them all!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Provalone, and prosciutto on a fresh, crusty baguette with red ripe tomato, crisp red leaf lettuce, drizzled with red wine vinegar. Just a smear of yellow mustard....perfecto. Ice cold Coors Extra Gold. Yes oh yes....yellow mustard and beer with a gourmet sandwich. I haven't had a meal this good since the 80's!

:cool:

the very very last of my papaya-passionfruit tea this time with grated ginger added.

yesterday a neighbor told me that drinking black tea with grated ginger every morning for breakfast would reduce your body fat percetage :blink: , she said she already lost 2%. It can't hurt, I mean I am drinking the tea anyway aren't I? :blink:

The things we do for a decent body...............

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Yep, agree, the little cornichons/acid a good way to cut the richness.  Didn't eat with mustard but will for Round 2...

Here's what I made it with:

1/2 # rabbit legs (reserved from rabbit roulade earlier in the week), 1 duck breast, weighing about 2 oz; 1/4 # pork butt, the duck liver, which was a little over 2.5 oz; and an egg white, which was about 2 oz.  Therefore, total meat and egg: about a pound.  9 oz. fatback.

The other duck breast, I split lengthwise and pan seared with FL's "squab spice," which I had reserved from when I made the squab and figs, earlier last month.  The squab spice consists of:  cinnamon, coriander, clove, quatre epice and black pepper.

So, the forcemeat spice ratio:  for one pound of meat, 1/3 tsp quatre epice, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1.5 tsp salt.  I boiled a small quenelle and cooled to taste, and it tasted spot on, again, luckily.

Merveilleuse!

Thanks for the information, paul o'. You did good, obviously. I shall continue my vigil down at the mailbox . . .

'Nanner pudding, mcdowell??!? One of my hands-down, absolute favorite desserts. :wub: What makes your girlfriend's version so famous?

Oh, and I've been intending to mention that when we were at Duarte's last week after our olallieberry picking expedition, I asked after the cookies. Our waitress said that as far as she was aware, the restaurant has never served cookies! She went so far as to ask one of the kitchen staff who has worked there forever; he confirmed it -- no cookies. :wacko:

'Nanner pudding, mcdowell??!?  One of my hands-down, absolute favorite desserts. :wub:  What makes your girlfriend's version so famous?

The love she puts into it :biggrin:

I'm of the firm belief that good 'nanner puddin' is best made by a cute Texas girl. Or my mom.

And I'm sure it would go good after smoked elk.

Our waitress said that as far as she was aware, the restaurant has never served cookies!  She went so far as to ask one of the kitchen staff who has worked there forever; he confirmed it -- no cookies.    :wacko:

Don't know what to say. I must be confusing places. Time to head back over the hill and track down those cookies!

At an Indian friend's house right now, and we're eating what she says is the Indian equivalent to Maruchan Ramen noodles: Maggi noodles. She has the sweet and sour flavour, but she says they have masala, among others.

I'm embarassaed that the last time I posted on this thread, I was also eating Ramen noodles. I really don't do this often.

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

Over the weekend I made a porcini risotto with red bell pepper and touch of fresh mint, bound with eggs and baked in layers of butter brushed phyllo. It was heavenly saturday. Phyllo doesn't reheat well in the microwave (and my boss refuses to subsidize a toaster oven for my office), so I'm sort of picking around it now.

Procedure please.

Sweet Mesquite BBQ Pringles. And a Corona--only beer in the house.

torakris! I'm surprised at you. :wink:

I'm wearing jeans, a brown leather belt, and a gray T-shirt. Birkenstocks with a hole in the right sole. One ring: third finger of left hand.

I'm eating a random cheese that was on the counter when I got home to my mom's, Gruyere I think, warm and mushy, and some wheat-type crackers. Second Corona. No one is here to make me food, or to greet me. :sad:

I believe I will search the house until I find something to eat.

A roast beef sandwich on "Italian" bread (does this term have any meaning?) with romaine, sharp cheddar, tomato, and mayo.

Lays Kettle Cooked.

A Cherry 7UP. And a few of those little chocolate-chip Famous Amos cookies.

The 7UP is in preparation for the 5,000,000th Annual Kalamazoo's Blues Fest tonight, during which I will consume much beer, and be forced by my bladder to use a Portajon. :wacko:

Earlier today, BLTs about 3 inches thick, with jalapeno cheddar potato chips, coffee, Bloody Marys, and cranberry juice, straight out of the bottle. Too many beverages wore me out. I took a nice long nap, lulled to sleep by the sound of the neighbor's lawnmower.

Summer. :wub: