• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting...(Part 1)

True...

And my wife's recipe is excellent (if we can find the pancetta... not always an easy task in Hawai'i).

But once in a while a little variety is nice. Even the simplest dishes change slightly from place to place. That what makes food (and eating) interesting.

You can't find pancetta in hawaii? The largest pork consuming capita of the us?

You can use prosciutto crudo as well, if its thick cut.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'm thinking, you might need to kill a pig for a lu'au, save the belly and the hindquarters, and cure your own ham and bacon for the task.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Hmmm.. I had not considered that. Since I don't usually have lu'aus at my place, I might have to sneak off to Paradise Cove or Germaine's lu'aus (two local tourist lu'uas) and see if I can snag a part of the pig there.

Right now I'm eating Tarama Salata made by my old Greek mama. You're supposed to eat just a bit on a plain cracker or crust of bread but I'm eating it out of the jar with a tiny airline spoon. (Ah, the joys of living alone.) Mom must have somehow gotten better (fresher?) fish roe than usual to use in her recipe this time because it's even more outstanding than her usual. Last week she made a batch of skordalia that was really dandy but if I sat around eating that with a spoon I might not be able to stand my own breath the next day.

An under-ripe and tasteless conference pear and a cup of instant coffee whilst Peter Gabriel 3 plays in the background and I try and concentrate on writing a report for work. Its not working is it?

You got Peter Gabriel right.

Uncle Ray's kosher dill flavored potato chips. Oddly not bad.

Black Coffee!

Yeah, I was enjoying a double americano from my ever so wonderful Francis! machine, when an alarmingly large mosquito flew at my head...at that point, one tip of the mug caused the coffee to end up all over my desk. I think I should have let it bite my face rather than dealing with the mess I had to clean up.

Good, but I'd rather have mcdowell's enchiladas -- or his fry bread!    :blush:

Xanthippe - As soon as I can figure out how to work this scanner, I'll email you some fry bread :biggrin:

(and the enchiladas are all gone, sorry)

Two slices Herb Garden bread, toasted and buttered.  One topped with sourwood honey, the other with rosemary honey.

oooh, rosemary honey. That sounds wonderful.

Orrichiette, with broccoli, goat cheese, lemon zest, EVOO, s & p. Eh. This could be better.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Xanthippe - As soon as I can figure out how to work this scanner, I'll email you some fry bread :biggrin:

(and the enchiladas are all gone, sorry)

I'm on the edge of my seat anticipating the fry bread, mcdowell . . . :rolleyes:

Phooey on the vanishing enchiladas! :angry:

oooh, rosemary honey.  That sounds wonderful.

It is wonderful, Heather; I'm close to being hooked on the stuff!

Orrichiette, with broccoli, goat cheese, lemon zest, EVOO, s & p.  Eh.  This could be better.
What wasn't to like about your pasta dish? Too bland, one-dimensional, what?? It sounds good to me . . . :smile:

oooh, rosemary honey.  That sounds wonderful.

It is wonderful, Heather; I'm close to being hooked on the stuff!

We get blackberry honey, and buckwheat honey (love it) and blueberry honey at the farmer's market here. I may suggest rosemary honey to the keepers. It must have an amazing aroma.

The pasta was good but, something was missing...fresh herbs perhaps? Some basil might have perked things up. The lemon zest was a good choice. It would have been bland and unctuous without it.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme