• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting...(Part 1)

Dry roasted peanuts mixed with dry roasted sunflower seeds. Water. Soon to be switched for a Canadian Club and coke :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I am soon to be opening my wee bottle of Texas Pete. :smile:

You go. What are you going to sprinkle it on??

We can't get it out here; I mail order "in bulk" so I'll always have a few extra bottles for when the revolution comes ( :wink: ).

Jin, is that, er, "Persian" yogurt drink you referred to similar to kefir??

Hm, insofar as fermented dairy things are similar. But Ayran is thinner and tangier. The, er, "Persians" really have yogurt down. Better than Greek yogurt.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Jin, is that, er, "Persian" yogurt drink you referred to similar to kefir??

Hm, insofar as fermented dairy things are similar. But Ayran is thinner and tangier. The, er, "Persians" really have yogurt down. Better than Greek yogurt.

Thanks, Jin. If Persian yogurt is better than the Greek version, I must get some.

Now, to find a Middle Eastern market . . .

The first ribs from my new smoker!!!  Way good. 

I also have some pork shoulder finishing up.

ben

Smoked ribs + smoked pork shoulder + Lionel = :wub::wub::wub:

Pre-lunch snack: several small plucots and a handful of black pepper cashews

Poland Spring

as for lunch, that was a melange of greens, sliced broiled skinless boneless chicken breasts, cauliflower and pepper salad, sliced red onions, minced parsley, EVOO, salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar. :blink::raz:

Soba

Left-over broccoli rice casserole, with some left over meatballs from another night. There's a nice pear on deck.

Am I the only sucker for Cambell's Mushroom Soup casseroles? Never ate one until I was 30, but it's a secret guilty pleasure.

Chicken-flavored Ramen (after licking the remains of the flavoring from the package itself), and maybe some Cherry Coke. :smile:

I think silver suits me so...

...but red is also for me!

Iron Chef Morimoto all the way!

From me, a fan of Iron Chef.

Chicken-flavored Ramen (after licking the remains of the flavoring from the package itself), and maybe some Cherry Coke.  :smile:

I had a similar lunch. Beef flavored ramen--I boil the noodles as directed and then stir fry them with some oil and the flavor packet and I scramble an egg in. I don't do the soup thing. cherry coke rocks!

Leftover spaghetti alla carbonara (made by my wife).

Have you ever noticed how hard it is to find good carbonara in the United States?

While living in Italy, excellent carbonara turned up under every stone (perhaps you haven't heard of those famous "pasta rocks of the Veneto"?), but ever since I moved back to the U.S., it's next to impossible to find any that is any good. In fact, we tried a little Italian shack the other day that claimed they made it, only to find out their recipe did not even include eggs!

What do ya do?

OH come on. Its not like true sphagetti carbonara isnt like the easiest pasta dish to make in the first place. Why go out and eat it at a restaurant if you can make it at home?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host