• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting...(Part 1)

I'm eating Ginger Candy (aka Ting Ting Jahe) imported from Indonesia. Previously, I had some Haagen Dazs Dulce de Leche frozen yogurt.

Michael aka "Pan"

Just pulled out of the oven a pot of porky goodness: belly and ribs slow cooked overnight with chinese flavours (soy, mirin, star anise, garlic, ginger, spring onion). They are really for supper tonight, but I just had to try a rib, strictly for quality control, of course...

A big, tall glass of filtered water. I've taken a bottle of Ting in and out of the fridge about four times trying to decide whether or not I really want it. Sort of like the character in Thelma and Louise, pulling a peppermint pattie in and out of the freezer and taking a bite each time.

what is ting?

South Florida

a sparking wine from spain, clocking in at about 7 bucks a bottle.  quite a find, actually.  still picking ribs (with =mark's mustard sauce, and col klink's dry rub) out of my teeth.

Cava?

the producer is PAUL CHENEAU. i believe it's Cava, as i recall the bottle talking about champagne.

no claire, it wasn't very sweet. dryer than most prossecos i've had.

Thanks! I've never tried Cava. It's on my list.

If anyone cares, I am now eating some turkey wrapped up in a tortilla with cream cheese/vegetable spread, BBQ Soy Chips and Dr. Pepper.

Tanzanie Chocolate from Cacao Barry. It has nice rich, complex, smoky flavor. I like it slightly better than the Cuba from the same company. The Tanzanie is 75% compared to 70% for the Cuba.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I just had a bratwurst with mustard, pickles, and onions.

That's exactly what I want for lunch, but it's already 1:23 and only a few more hours until I can go home. I am nibbling on a rather disgusting bar of chocolate -- milk chocolate with banana flavoured filling. Major yuck.

I just discovered a bag of soy nuts in my desk. They're amazingly not stale and still edible. I'm too embarrassed to say how old they are.

a sparking wine from spain, clocking in at about 7 bucks a bottle.  quite a find, actually.  still picking ribs (with =mark's mustard sauce, and col klink's dry rub) out of my teeth.

Cava?

the producer is PAUL CHENEAU. i believe it's Cava, as i recall the bottle talking about champagne.

no claire, it wasn't very sweet. dryer than most prossecos i've had.

Thanks! I've never tried Cava. It's on my list.

Cava is a fucking amazing deal. Go get some. It's lacking something that causes hangovers too. Or so I heard on New Year's Eve. Maybe it was psychological, but it worked for me.

I am eating a dark Kit Kat, about which I say: feh. Drinking a disappointing cup of tea with sugar, no milk. I thought there was one open. :angry:

I am eating a dark Kit Kat, about which I say: feh.

Thanks. I've been wondering about the dark Kit Kats. Now I won't waste my time.

So what's the mysterious chemical missing from the Cava? Alcohol maybe? The sparkling wine that I tried at the Andrea Immer wine pairing class (Brachetto d'Acqui Coppo) is like 5.5%

Oh -- and to stay on topic, I just finished eating one of these.

The only time I get food on the keyboard is when someone makes me laugh and I spit.

That happened to me on Saturday. I was reading an e-mail and drinking a 40-ounce of Old Style. I laughed and sprayed the beer all over the computer. My friend rushed in with the Windex, etc., to mop it up, while I continued to laugh.

Noise is music. All else is food.