• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum reviews at Tastings.com

Ed Hamilton

Tastings.com just updated their rum reviews and posted the information on their site.

I'm sure some of you will be disappointed to see some of your favorite rums aren't reviewed but at the same time there may be other reviews that send you to the store, or save you a trip.

Tasting.com Rum Reviews

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

95 points for Plantation 1992 and 94 for Mount Gay Extra Old?

I dunno.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I lost my trust in Tastings.com when I saw their 92 rating for Rhum Negrita. They seem to have deleted it from their tasting notes now, however... :wink:

Doorly's XO is quite high in the charts, I note... One of my favoutires, that one, but it's not completely 'rum' in my opinion. The cherry finish is a bit strong...

As this is my favorite beverage, I have to announce my favorites: White/ Ron Matusalem Platinum (91), Dark/ Myers (89), 151/ Don Lorenzo (Bahamas).

Of course, I am always willing to drink and add more favorites :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree that I was surprised myself at some of the ratings. But there are a lot of variables, not the least of which is the rum supplied for the tasting.

Like all ratings, I tend to use these as general guides and not definitive statements of quality.

And a note about Don Lorenzo, it is my understanding that there was a trademark problem and Don Lorenzo is no longer imported to the US from the Bahamas.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Ha Ha Ha ha obviously these guys couldn't get hold of any decent rums for their tasting ...and the rums that they did finally taste were obviously too complexed for their taste buds ? Cruzan pineapple rum, (sorry pineapple liqueur) 85 and Mount gay Eclipse 83 ??? No Ron Zacapa, No Guyanese Demarera rums and No Barbancourt ??? Some Raspberry rum given the same rating as Appleton VX ??? and tasting flavoured/spiced rums against Aged rums is like tasting Baileys irish cream against Single malt Whisky or Grand Marnier against Hennessey XO. HA HA HA :biggrin: AND STROH 80 rum from Austria ????? give me a break....or a Bunderberg Black :wink:

When I read about the evils of drinking rum...I stopped reading...because life is too short, so smile and enjoy yourself...

therumman@btinternet.com

To shed a little light on Tastings selection of rums. All the rums tasted were submitted by the distillers, they don't buy rum and then test them the way the rest of us do.

The results are published in a number of magazines they pay for the ratings.

I use these ratings as a rough guide but the important thing to note is what are the spirits being tasted against. The number ratings are subjective according to the judges.

And I'm confident that these and other ratings will be more valuable as more rums are submitted by the distillers in the future. It is easy to point to ratings and berate them, believe me this a tough job, but someone has to do it.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com