• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

coquito?

Ampersand

Does anyone know the "traditional" way to make coquito? I'd like to make it for a friend, but I've never had it myself, so I don't know what's supposed to be in it (which puts me at a disadvantage). A Web search turned up a number of different recipes, and I could use some advice.

Actually...it doesn't need to be traditional...I'd just like to use a recipe that someone will vouch for.

Edited by Ampersand (log)

Welcome, Ampersand! :wink:

The coquito sounds delicious -- and rich. I've never had it, but I'm sure someone here can help you!

I like the sound of this one because it uses cinnamon sticks instead of ground, steeped in boiling water, and it's more complicated than the others. Authentic, I don't know...

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

Welcome to eG Ampersand!

I've had these mysterious drinks. I've got a friend that owns a lovely neighbourhood pub that is from Puerto Rico and he makes them every year near Thanksgiving and the Christmas holidays. If I find a reputable resource elsewise, I'll be sure to pass it along in a post as soon as I can cut and paste! :smile:

But don't you thing all of the varied recipes may be fun to try out? I love doing that. I call it field research! :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Ampersand:

I've asked my friend about the coquito. He swears it is secret! But I have a feeling he'll fess up, but then it will be somewhere down the road when the holiday cheer is encouring him to be charitable with his secret mix! :laugh:

Coquito is a punch like eggnog but made with rum and coconut milk. Here is a recipe, though in Spanish, easy to follow: Coquito for lazy people by Edda Lopez

Basically it is evaporated milk, condensed milk, coconut milk (not cream of Coconut like Coco Lopez because it is too sweet) get Coconut milk at a chinese market or Thai coconut milk; eggyolks, add rum to taste. Put it all in a mixer.

My parents made it at Xmas time for big parties. If you start with Coquito they believed , it would coat your stomach somewhat (all the milk) and prepare you for the real heavy drinking that goes on during Xmas. :biggrin:

WorldTable • Our recently reactivated web page. Now interactive and updated regularly.

• 4 weeks later...

Better late than never. My brother, who still lives in PR and likes to give parties at Xmas time, sent me the recipe he uses:

COQUITO - (for 14 persons, 8 oz glass)

4 cans 12 oz. evaporated milk

1 can condensed milk

2 cans 15oz coconut cream (like Coco Lopez)

2 tsp. vanilla extract

1 tsp. almond extract

1 liter bottle of white rum

1 oz. brandy

1 tbl. cloves

4 cinnamon sticks

1 tsp. ginger powder

2 tsp. cinnamon powder

1/2 cup almonds

Procedure:

1-In a saucepan cook on medium heat 1 can of the evaporated milk with the cloves and cinnamon sticks.

2- Use a blender and pulverize the almonds

3- Pour the contents of the saucepan into the blender, using a sieve to prevent the cinnamon and cloves to go into the blender.

4- Add to the blender the rest of the milk, coconut cream, condense milk and all the spices, mix well

5- Lastly, add the rum and brandy.

6- Put into a glass jar or bottle and refrigerate.

Just in time for the holidays, and a toast: "Salud, Pesetas Y tiempo para gozarlo" :biggrin:

WorldTable • Our recently reactivated web page. Now interactive and updated regularly.

Oh, thank you so much Mrs. B. My Coquito-recipe-hoarding-bar-owner friend is still smiling at me to be patient! If he fesses up, I'll post back, but I'm sure your brother's lovely preparation is better -- I don't think he adds the pulverized almonds.

This will be an addition to this year's holiday celebrations! :wub: