• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Passover 2002–2005

SO sorry, gang!  It didn't occur to me that it was a link via subscription only.  The other recipe posted looks very much like the one I got from CL...I'll confirm that from home and let you know if there's any difference.  And thanks for the idea about pecans!  YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM.  :wink:

The difference between the two recipes isn't huge, but there is less butter and brown sugar used in the CL version; and trust me, they're still awesome! Oh, and the CL version has you toast the matzo, which definitely adds flavor.

If anyone wants the CL recipe, just PM me--happy to share it.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Tina Wasserman article from the Washington Post:The Seder's Just the Start

Passover is supposed to remind Jews of the sacrifices their ancestors had to make, wandering for 40 years in search of the promised land. Ironically, many cooks who don't spend more than five hours a year making chocolate chip cookies will spend hours wandering the supermarket aisles, trying to decide how many Passover coffeecake or blueberry muffin mixes they will need to buy for their families.
:hmmm:
Why use a boxed spongecake mix when you have to provide the six or eight eggs anyway? And if you are providing the eggs, oil and water, what's left in the $2 box of matzoh ball mix? Matzoh meal, baking powder and seasonings.
:rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Well I think that so far I'm pretty organized for my first seder. But there's one thing that's really troubling me...please help!!

My mother and my sister are both VERY experienced in having large groups for dinner. I, on the other hand, am not. They've both been giving me great advice (and help), but they completely disagree on the matzoh balls and I'm not sure who I should listen to.

I'm just going to use the Manischewitz mix (they both agree on that). But according to my sister, I should form the balls on Friday (for Saturday's seder) and stick them in the fridge. Take them out on Saturday late afternoon and let them get to room temperature. Bring the soup up to a boil and then put the balls in to cook.

My mother, however, has always made the balls the day before (cooking them in water) and re-heats them in the microwave (soup is heated on stove) prior to serving. Quite honestly, my mother's balls are always cold.

If I cook the balls in the soup, like my sister says, won't the soup be sucked up by the balls? She says no.

I know it's silly, but this matzoh ball thing is making me nervous!

Make the matzoh balls to completion in advance. Then, throw the matzoh balls in with the soup and boil it up all together.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

And now -- the lastest installment of:

The Neurotic Bi-Polar Jewish Paralegal Caterer!

When last we saw our hero, Aidan was cleaning for Passover, obsessing over proper ways of freezing and transporting foods, wishing there were more hours in the day, and feeling a little morose over the loss of his favorite non-Pesadich pots and pans -- if only for a couple of weeks. :unsure:

But today is a new day! All of my cooking is done! While I didn't find the time to make any Mazel Toffee, the chicken soup is made, the bullets are formed and frozen, the Sephardic charoses balls are rolled and refrigerated, the Moroccan meatballs are cooked, chilled, and were placed in the freezer before I left for work this morning. The plastic bins are packed with non-perishables going along on the trip, and Mrs. Me is home right this second folding the last load from the dryer -- after that, all she has to do is put a couple of things in the suitcases and we are good to go! We pull out at 5am tomorrow! :cool: I am already anticipating the horseradish and gefelte fish!

Tonight we will go out for a pizza orgy. We might even splurge for garlic bread. And then maybe, if we get back in time, I might be able to pull off a double batch of Mazel Toffee. :rolleyes:

Mrs. Me just called to say "something white is leaking from the pan I put in the freezer". :huh: Hmmm. Since that container is full of Moroccan lamb meatballs in a spicy tomato sauce, I sort of wonder what this mysterious white liquid could be.

Have a great Passover, everyone.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

I just made the horseradish tonight and my eyes are still watering! This time I roasted whole small beets for the color and the taste was much improved over using the canned beets as I'd always done before.

This stuff will take the top of your head off! Woo-hoo! I can't wait to have some with Gefilte fish on Saturday!

Happy Holiday everyone!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I just wanted to thank everyone for the great advice. My first seder was a huge success!!! There was enough food to feed an army (good thing I like leftovers!), and a good time was had by all.

I started to take pictures of the food, but as things got busier in the kitchen (and as my 6 month old got more tired), I just couldn't get all of the shots. But everything looked and tasted great.

Thanks again!

Thank you so much for making me feel welcome here on eG. Following the discussions as you all prepared for and had your Seders was my way of regaining the spirit of the holiday. Saturday (ereve Peseach) I was feeling very alone and isolated. I spent the whole day just reading through the posts and it really made a big difference. It almost made me feel like I was in my kitchen and celebrating with family.

Hag sameach

Elie

Eliahu Yeshua

Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian; wine and tarragon make it French. Sour cream makes it Russian; lemon and cinnamon make it Greek. Soy sauce makes it Chinese; garlic makes it good.

- Alice May Brock

It appears that we have performed the first long distance kosher l'Pesach mitzvah for this year here at eGullet .. wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles ... :biggrin:

Thanks for sharing this bit of good news, Elie!

We all survived!

And I found a new Pesach culinary joy -- schmurah matzah made in Chicago. Wafer thin, crisp and flavorful -- the absolute best matzah I've ever had. I'm sorry I have to wait until next year to get more. Delicious with mock chicken liver.

I'd like to hear what you all cooked/ate in the days beyond the seder.

Aidan

Aidan

I'd like to hear what you all cooked/ate in the days beyond the seder.

Aidan

Leftovers, leftovers, and more leftovers!!

Aside from quite a bit of matzah brei, I was given the thumbs up for something that started out as a spinach pie (lightly soaked matzah to replace phyllo) but I added tomato sauce/shredded mozzarella because it looked suspicious as I was about to put it in the oven. So it was kind of a cross between a spinach pie and a lasagna.

I also developed a good buttermilk waffle recipe for my children. (Yes, I was crazy enough to buy a small waffle iron for Pesach but it got a lot of use.)

One of the more interesting things I made was Suvir Saran's spinach potato patties with Green Chutney. The cakes required only minor adjustments and it was great to have something with a real bold flavor.

jayne

We're back from spending Pesach in "the mountains." I don't want to get on a scale considering how much food we consumed. In addition to 3 multi-course meals per day there was a tea room open whenever the dining room wasn't serving plus cocktail hours and midnight buffets.

Food was traditional ashkenazi style although they suprisingly offered fish at every meal and the fish ranged from chilean sea bass to red snapper to talapia (with the requisite salmon). I snagged one of the lunch menus which I'll share when I uncover it.

Snaps to the bake shop. They turned out amazing cakes and cookies. And the variety was overwhelming.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

We're back from spending Pesach in "the mountains."  I don't want to get on a scale considering how much food we consumed.  In addition to 3 multi-course meals per day there was a tea room open whenever the dining room wasn't serving plus cocktail hours and midnight buffets.

Food was traditional ashkenazi style although they suprisingly offered fish at every meal and the fish ranged from chilean sea bass to red snapper to talapia (with the requisite salmon).  I snagged one of the lunch menus which I'll share when I uncover it.

Snaps to the bake shop.  They turned out amazing cakes and cookies.  And the variety was overwhelming.

Throw in non-stop mah jong and it sounds like heaven!

Welcome back!

Aidan

At any rate, it is over for another year ... and my 'treasure hunt' to locate my stashed away chametz dishes and pots has resumed .. usually takes me a few weeks to restore order to my once-perfectly sane kitchen ...

We're back from spending Pesach in "the mountains."  I don't want to get on a scale considering how much food we consumed.  In addition to 3 multi-course meals per day there was a tea room open whenever the dining room wasn't serving plus cocktail hours and midnight buffets.

Food was traditional ashkenazi style although they suprisingly offered fish at every meal and the fish ranged from chilean sea bass to red snapper to talapia (with the requisite salmon).  I snagged one of the lunch menus which I'll share when I uncover it.

Snaps to the bake shop.  They turned out amazing cakes and cookies.  And the variety was overwhelming.

Throw in non-stop mah jong and it sounds like heaven!

Welcome back!

Actually, my mil found daily mah jongg games. At every meal someone was walking over to our table to invite her to another game. She was very popular. :laugh: