• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Passover 2002–2005

Someone else had suggested a salad as well, but to be quite honest, my family, and extended family aren't really big on salad for Passover.

Dairy isn't an isssue...we're not kosher. As one of my cousins once put it, "we're the bacon eaters".

Do you have a recipe for a spinach/matzo kugel? Should I do it in addition to what I've already planned, or instead of something?

Oh, and as for desserts, my husband (with my supervision!) will make these Martha Stewart macaroons. We've made them before and they've always been a huge hit. My sister will make the rest of the desserts...she loves to bake.

I found a TERRIFIC and super-easy dessert in the April '04 issue of Cooking Light, and have to share it, b/c it was too late last year! It's called Matzo Buttercrunch and it really is as simple as it sounds. The only warning is that you do need to keep an eye on it b/c it cooks very quickly and can burn just as fast. I must have made 6-8 batches last year, b/c everyone who had it needed to take some home, and the folks in my office scarfed it up too. Great to make a day or two ahead, put in a tin and take with you if you're going to seder somewhere... :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Dairy isn't an isssue...we're not kosher.  As one of my cousins once put it, "we're the bacon eaters".

Do you have a recipe for a spinach/matzo kugel?  Should I do it in addition to what I've already planned, or instead of something?

I don't have a recipe... I'd just wing it - but I wouldn't do it in addition - if you're fine with the dairy, which you are, it's not an issue. I was thinking of it as more of an alternative.

If I was to make one though, I would probably:

Saute lots of spinach and onion in olive oil - maybe a little garlic. Add some eggs, matzoh meal, salt, pepper, any other herbs or spices you may like (I always like oregano with something like this, but not everybody does). In a greased pan and into the oven.

Someone else had suggested a salad as well, but to be quite honest, my family, and extended family aren't really big on salad for Passover.

Dairy isn't an isssue...we're not kosher.  As one of my cousins once put it, "we're the bacon eaters".

Do you have a recipe for a spinach/matzo kugel?  Should I do it in addition to what I've already planned, or instead of something?

Oh, and as for desserts, my husband (with my supervision!) will make these Martha Stewart macaroons.  We've made them before and they've always been a huge hit.  My sister will make the rest of the desserts...she loves to bake.

It doesn't have to be a "salad" salad. I'm making cucumber and onion salad (yes, the summertime one) because it'll compliment the brisket well.

My only advice for you, with your first seder, is make a schedule of cooktimes and oven/range space needed. You may have too many re-heat dishes and overload the oven (unless you have a double, in which case never mind!). Plus you will be using two burners for the soup and matzoh balls so you only have two left for other items.

I'm assuming you have done a large a dinner before (and do not need notes on serving sizes, etc!)

Best of luck,

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

I found a TERRIFIC and super-easy dessert in the April '04 issue of Cooking Light, and have to share it, b/c it was too late last year!  It's called Matzo Buttercrunch and it really is as simple as it sounds.  The only warning is that you do need to keep an eye on it b/c it cooks very quickly and can burn just as fast.  I must have made 6-8 batches last year, b/c everyone who had it needed to take some home, and the folks in my office scarfed it up too.  Great to make a day or two ahead, put in a tin and take with you if you're going to seder somewhere...  :smile:

The link isn't working. I'm getting a page which is offering 2 free issues of the magazine.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

The link isn't working.  I'm getting a page which is offering 2 free issues of the magazine.

I believe it is available to people with AOL and/or membership in Cooking Light ...

If it is the same as the Matzo Buttercrunch we all know and love, it wasn't cooking too light at all ... :hmmm:

the original is here :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

The link isn't working.  I'm getting a page which is offering 2 free issues of the magazine.

I believe it is available to people with AOL and/or membership in Cooking Light ...

thanks dahlink. I was able to able to access in AOL.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

If you have never tasted Marcy Goldman's Matzoh Buttercrunch, you have missed the all-time most fabulous Passover treat.  And I don't say this lightly because the Passover baked goods that I like are the proverbial very few and very far between.  However, this one is outrageously delicious.  It's oh-so easy to prepare, but I warn you that, once you have made it, you will have a very difficult time not immediately gobbling up the whole batch.  So, as Maida Heatter wrote about a cookie in one of her  recipe books, if you have no willpower, don't make it!   :laugh:  

Marcy has a web site -- betterbaking.com -- and I thought the recipe was there, but I can't find it.  (It is in her wonderful Jewish holiday baking book, along with lots of other terrific recipes.)  However, Arthur Schwartz has it on his site -- actually, it was on Arthur's radio program that I first heard about it -- and I am providing the link here.  This goodie gives true meaning to the wish: A ziesen pesach!  :smile:

http://www.arthurschwartz.com/diary/archiv...s/00000102.html

This has the original link to Marcy's butter crunch.

AlisonA

Oops - just saw Gifted Gourmet has it linked too!

edited to add "oops"

Edited by AlisonA (log)

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

If it is the same as the Matzo Buttercrunch we all know and love, it wasn't cooking too light at all ... :hmmm:

the original is here :biggrin:

That's like a version I make but instead I use chopped up pecans instead of chocolate to get more or a caramel crunch flavor. For my KFP chocolate desserts, I use Jacques Torres' Bite-Size Chocolate Almond Brownies baked in mini-muffin tins or chocolate chip meringue kisses.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

SO sorry, gang! It didn't occur to me that it was a link via subscription only. The other recipe posted looks very much like the one I got from CL...I'll confirm that from home and let you know if there's any difference. And thanks for the idea about pecans! YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM. :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

One of my assignments this year is to make a nonchocolate dessert. I am trying to think if I have ever made such a thing...Anyone have a really special one? I have a spinach zucchini kugel from Marcy Goldman if anyone wants it. I plan to make a cauliflower one.

Non-chocolate desserts -- there are tons. Any sort of fruit dessert will do. I always prefer cookies or other bite-sized things since I can't stand making a lovely, big cake and people saying, "Oh, just a bit, I've eaten so much." With cookies and the like, things get eaten.

Among my standard, non-fruit type things are:

Amaretti, or almond macaroons - an easy recipe

Brown sugar-pecan macaroons

Any flavor of meringue "kisses" -- mint, lemon, etc.

Of course, you could make coconut macaroons but I don't like coconut.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

There's some additional discussion of Passover desserts in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
One of my assignments this year is to make a nonchocolate dessert. I am trying to think if I have ever made such a thing...Anyone have a really special one? I  have a spinach zucchini kugel from Marcy Goldman if anyone wants it. I plan to make a cauliflower one.

How about this recipe for Torta del Re? It's one of several recipes mentioned in this interesting article about Italian Judaism.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

There's a good passover carrot cake recipe from one of Katie Loeb's posts here

You can use some applesauce as a replacement for some but not all of the oil.

There is also a pretty good apple rustica recipe from Rosie's Bakery in the ShalomBoston.com recipe link. I generally prefer recipes that don't require as much margarine but other people liked this a lot.

jayne

p.s. around here, we can get Hollywood brand safflower oil for Passover. I recommend it over the cottonseed or whatever else is in the other Passover vegetable oils.

jayne

p.s. around here, we can get Hollywood brand safflower oil for Passover. I recommend it over the cottonseed or whatever else is in the other Passover vegetable oils.

I use the safflower oil too - and like it (though I seem to be slightly alergic). Caution - it is considered kitniyot - so it's not good for everybody.

Hi, I just checked with the certifying agency KOF-K and was told that they do not consider safflower oil to be kitniyot but that as with many foods, different people have different ideas about what constitutes kitniyot. (Apparently, even cottonseed oil is suspect by some folks in Israel.)

Anyway, thank you for the heads up. Just knowing that it might be a problem for some people is good to know and now I'll be aware of it.

much appreciated

jayne

On Passover, even the type of oil used becomes important, since the standard corn, canola and soybean oils cannot be used. Cottonseed oil, grapeseed, and safflower oil, become the oils of choice for Passover. Special runs for  products need to be made for Passover using these oils.
courtesy of Kashrut.com ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Shalom, y'all.

We are going away for the first half of the festival (I live for the day I can afford to take the whole time off so I can go away and forego a bit of the cleaning!) .

Anyway, I am cooking and freezing some things that I normally would make once I was there, but what with work and Shabbas, etc. I need to make them ahead of time.

One thing I am making is a family favorite called bullets. They are matzah balls, for lack of a better word, made with a stiff matzah ball mix and stuffed with a mixture of chopped boiled chicken, sauted onions, salt, pepper, and lots of schmaltz. LOTS of schmaltz. Then they are brushed with schmaltz and baked until golden. Served up in a bowl of golden chicken soup. Divinge.

So here is my question: Should I make the bullets, bake them and freeze them, or should I form them, freeze them, and bake them once they have thawed?

Hoping for an answer quickly -- must make them tonight.

Hag Sameach.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"