• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Very spongy paneer

rajsuman

Hi all,

The other day my husband brought home a tin of Palak Paneer . I don't care much for tinned stuff, especially curries (Tinned beans are great). The Palak lived up to my expectations - it was pretty awful. But the paneer amazed me. It was nice and spongy - you could see the holes in it if you cut it open. I've never eaten such lovely paneer in my whole life, be it at home or in restaurants. And let me tell you , I eat a LOT of paneer. Does anyone have any idea how they might have done it? My guess is they might have added something to the milk before adding the souring agent or they might have added something to the paneer . The paneer was in cubes like they just made it and put it directly into the curry. Any ideas? I'm one of those people who can't get proper sleep at night until I get to the bottom of this mystery.

Thanks,

Suman

But the paneer amazed me. It was nice and spongy - you could see the holes in it if you cut it open. I've never eaten such lovely paneer in my whole life, be it at home or in restaurants.

Thanks,

Suman

Sounds to me there is some bi-carb involved at some level. Do me a favor, please check the ingredients while you check on the brand name.

Hi,

The brand is Natco, widely available in the UK and Ireland. Not sure if you can get it in the US. Initially I did suspect that there might be some kind of raising agent involved, but apparently not. The list of ingredients is as follows:

Spinach, cottage cheese, onion, tomato, vegetable oil, salt, green chillies, mixed spices and citric acid.

Perhaps they don't need to list soda bicarb as an ingredient?

:blink:

Suman

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps they had something like a fish tank bubbler producing air bubbles in the milk while the curd formed...no added ingredients would need to be listed.

As a benefit they would get a larger volume of Paneer, for the same amount of milk.

[very spongy Paneer = Rossogolla - Sugarsyrup]

Yes, I thought of that too, but this wasn't squeaky like a rasgulla. I'm still trying to work it out - will let you know if/when I have any success. Thanks!

Suman

Okay then try this:

Make Paneer the usual way but as soon as it curdles, turn off the heat, strain and dont weigh it down too much. This way you'll get a softer Paneer which is sometimes called Malai Paneer. BTW UHT milk is not suitable for making Paneer.

And don't disappear for such long periods.

P.S. I think the world's friendliest people live in Ireland.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Thanks Episure! Will let you know how I get on. If I could help it, I'd be hanging around this forum 24/7...Yes I agree with you - Irish people are the nicest I've ever known. Have you been here? You sound like you're a bit of a globe-trotter.

Suman

(must get myself a nice signature..)

Yes I agree with you - Irish people are the nicest I've ever known. Have you been here?

Some time ago I was on a 5 day fishing holiday on a self-driven hired cruiser on the Shannon. I think it was the first time the aroma of freshly caught Pike/Perch, grilled with tandoori masalas wafted across this pristine river.

The locals that my companion and I met in the shore pubs wouldn't allow us to pay for our drinks, so in reciprocation we would invite them on board for some Indian cuisine. I have never experienced such genuine warmth and hospitality.

A good masala fish is the perfect accompaniment for Guiness stout. :rolleyes:

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

The best way I know to make paneer spongy is by applying less weight to set it, the more the weight harder the paneer turns out.

Let me know if I can help any further.

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things, Bordeaux

makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them." Brillat-Savarin

Also, by the way usually Indian restaurants deep fry the paneer before adding it to the saag, paneer cubes that are not fried will turn out much softer when simmered in the saag than the fried ones.

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things, Bordeaux

makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them." Brillat-Savarin

• 2 weeks later...