• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food items to bring back from Germany

• 2 weeks later...

One item that WOULD be good would be Black Forest ham. But don't try it -- you can't bring meat into the U.S. and (as I learned to my dismay) the US Agricultural Service will confiscate it at customs.

We brought back some chocolate, but it didn't last long.

Assuming that you like German wine, you could bring back a few bottles... or a case. That's especially so if you like wines from a region that doesn't get imported much, such as weissherbst (what we'd call Rose') from the Kaiserstuhl (near Freiberg).

But the best foodstuff I brought back was another sort of booze: Kirschwasser. A bottle of the good stuff in Germany cost us about $8US, but sells for $40 here. (Actually we came back with more than cherry... there's also apricot, plum, pear, etc.)

Not food, but food-related: you can get pretty good prices on serious cooking knives in Germany, but you should probably check the prices here before you go. I'm happy with the steak knives I bought (in, alas, a tourist store), but in retrospect I suspect I didn't save much money. I should have gotten that spaetzle maker when I thought of it, though.

Okay, maybe I'll get pilloried for this, but ...

I always bring back a kilo of Fondor.

Knorr also makes a line called "Salat-krönung". If you don't have fresh herbs on hand they are fantastic. On my last trip I went into a store to get some but forgot to grab a basket. I had to carry about 30 packages up to the checkout.

Knorr also makes "Kräuterlinge zum Streuen" a varaiety of herb mixes. They must use some kind of wicked preservative, because the seasoning is not dry, so they're great for putting on steamed veggies.

If you can sneak it past Agriculture, bring some tinned Mettwurst. Fatty and oh so yummy.

here goes my line:

"Muesli" (Trauben/Nuss) only from 'ALDI' stores, about 2.00 Euro p Kilo!

"Nutella" one third or one quarter the price here.

All "Knorr" soupmixes, (2 or 4 plate packages: Pilzsuppe, Kartofffel, Lauch, Spargel etc. cheap and excellent.

Further to take care of your stomach problems, at any 'Apotheke' : NERVOGASTROL !! even good for Ulcers

Peter

I love the chocolate covered gingerbread cookies that are served around the holidays. I've seen them at times here in the US, but they seem pricey.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Also for kids: Kindereggs - basically a hollow chocolate egg with a toy inside. My kids LOVE them and collect the toys. Some of the toys are cheap pieces of junk, but others are really cute. The pieces of the toy (which usually you have to assemble) are very small and pose a choking hazard to the littlest kids - I think 3 and under is what the U.S. warning labels say.

Right around this time you begin to find the coveted winter flavors of Ritter Sport... Bailey's, Cointreau, and Amaretto truffle fillings.

In fact there's a whole line of "Weinachtsschokolade" -- Christmas chocolate -- from all the big brands: Lindt, Milka, etc. Mostly they are flavored with coriander and/or cinnamon, but lebkuchen bits are also mixed in sometimes.