• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Favorite California Cab

docsconz

O.K, I am no wine expert but I had a bottle of Charles Shaw Cab last night and enjoyed it very much...So what are anyone's thoughts on "2 buck chuck"?

It's wine. Some of it is better than others, none of it is great and some of it is awful. In general it kicks ass for coq au vin or braised short ribs.

edit: typo

Edited by melkor (log)

I buy the Spottswoode every year but, that said, my favories are Dunn (Howell Mountain) and Forman.

The Forman is relatively speaking a bargain these days. While I won't say Opus One disappoints, for the price it is over-rated. I've had a fair amount of Dominus and never been "blown-away"; always expected and wished for more.

The early wine experience that remains memorable was with a few bottles of '78 George de Latour consumed in the mid-nineties.

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

I've enjoyed the B.R. Cohn Silver Label Cabernet. I first had the '98 in a restaurant--a vintage I understand wasn't supposed to be the best for California cabernet. Nonetheless, I've subsequently had the '99 which was most enjoyable (80% San Luis Obispo/20% Sonoma).

www.brcohn.com

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

In the early 90's I had Martha's 74 at a tasting. It was all that could be expected. Layer upon layer of flavours, leaning to the cedary tobbacco side of things. I also used to love the Cayamus Napa from the 80's. As for dependable I've leaned towards Newton, Alexander Valley Vineyards (are they still around?), Whitehall Lane, Geyser Peak and Inglenook Napa from the 80's. I also remember the 91 Geyser Peak Reserve to be one of the best cabernets I've had.

This is now a street less travelled for me as are Burgundy and Bordeaux. It just seems you can do more for less elsewhere. A friend of mine brought a bottle of Spring Valley Uriah to dinner a few months ago, what a wine!

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Several months ago, I was very fortunate to taste an evening of California Cabs from the 40s to the 80s. The list included BV Latours from 1968 to 1985, '74s from Caymus, Ridge, Silver Oak, and Stag's Leap, and '78s from Stag's Leap, Mt. Eden, Diamond Creek, and Heitz. Hands down the winners of the evening were Inglenooks from 1958 (Case F30, Cast F10, and one with no cask notation).

I didn't have to pay for them and doubt I will ever be in a position to taste the likes of such again, but they were amazing.