• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Favorite California Cab

docsconz

What is your favorite California Cab? Both the single best ever tasted and the old standby that year-in-year out you can always rely upon?

The best I've ever had was probably a 1991 Philip Togni. I remember it being voluptuous with smooth body, plenty of fruit , great balance and a real drink-me attitude.

My year-in - year-out standard is probably Chateau Montelena with Phelps Insignia a close second. a couple of years ago I participated in a vertical tasting of Montelena from 1992-1997. There were no clunkers in the bunch. Yum.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I completely agree. Montelena is damned good. Always.

I always like the Justin Vineyards (from Paso Robles) wines. Their "Isoceles" in the currently released 2000 vintage is 78% Cab Sauv; 19% Cab Franc; 3% Merlot. Pretty close to what can be labelled as Cab. Their "Justification" is Mostly Cab Franc with a little Merlot tossed into the mix. Both of these are HUGE wines, so I'd imagine their regular Cabernet offerings would be of similar weight and power.

Arrowood is always pretty tasty to me too. Also quite consistent like the Montelena.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Best ever was a 1978 Mondavi Reserve, tasted at the winery in 1981, then bought three bottles when I got back home. That was my first exposure to really good Cab -- woke me right up. :biggrin:

I usually drink other reds as my standbys, but if I need a Cal Cab I go with Raymond unless there's a better one on clearance.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I'll play.

Toss up between a '95 Dominus Cab and a '97 Dalla Valle. Both wines were too young obviously, but I enjoyed them both tremendously.

As for the year in and year out wines, my fave lately has been Darioush. Their first release was only in '97, but they seem to improve every year without raising their prices accordingly.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

I don't drink a lot of Cal Cabs, but the best I've had was the 1996 Shafer Hillside Select which I had from magnum this past July. I think it had been decanted for a couple hours as well. My notes:

Opaque ruby with thin legs.  Dark/black fruits on nose with bramble and blueberry.  Full-bodied, juicy wine with blackberry, raspberry, spice, and a long, lingering finish.  95 points.

Good juice I tell ya.

As for the year in and year out wines, my fave lately has been Darioush. Their first release was only in '97, but they seem to improve every year without raising their prices accordingly

Yeah - I've only heard and read great things about Darioush. I'm hoping they have a table at the Winebow tasting tomorrow. Really jazzed to try some of their products - particularly the Cab and the Viognier. Read great stuff about both of those... :cool:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Geyser Peak [ Sonoma county ] and Raymond are both interesting and good value.

Mondavi Resrve 1994 and Silver Oak 1994 are amongst the best I have tasted.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Back in the late '80s I had a '85 Cab from Stag's Leap, wow, it was my first great bottle of wine.

A few of my favorites are Dalle Valle, Forman, Staglin, and yes I like Montelena too. I have had some great bottles from Dominus, but am not as excited about it now.....perhaps it is not as explosive as you would anticipate at current prices.

Most overrated is Opus One (I seem to be in the minority here)

Best choice in the value category ($20) is Ch Souverain

Ed McAniff

A Taster's Journey

Most overrated is Opus One (I seem to be in the minority here)

My bet is that you are not in the minority. :hmmm:

I'm with you. Not too many wine professionals I know think it's the bomb either. Then again, we've been known to usually have a bottle or three in the cellar because someone wants to order it with their fish. :unsure:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Another Calcab I think is grossly over-rated is Caymus Special Select. I have never really been turned on by it.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I'm still a big new world lover - the best in recent memory - 97 Merryvale Profile, 97 Lokoya, 97 Whitehall Rsv, 97 SL Cask23; all at a 97 Tasting, A 95 Caymus SS , 98 Viader, and 91 Opus (i'm not an Opus fan at all)

Last Year

A 90 Ridge Montebello at a Ridge Dinner

A 87 BV Private Reserve at a 40th (not mine yet) B-day party (Beringer always are pretty consistent for me but I never seem to go for them.)

At my 30th (years ago) B-Day Party

1994 Abreu Madrona Ranch

1994 Caymus Special Select - corked

1994 Dalla Valle Maya

Biggest Tease - 85 Heitz Martha's Vineyard - Corked but still tasty.

Tried and true - never had a bad Jordan, or Hess Select. I've got some 99 Cinq Cepages, 97 & 98 Isoceles, 99 & 00 Quilceda Creek, 99 Pine Ridge, and a few others.

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

I'll be honest and say I can't afford some of the "top" cabs, like Screaming Eagle, Araujo, etc. However, of the ones I CAN afford, some of the ones I like are:

Phelps Insignia

Arrowood

Stag's Leap FAY

Chateau Montelena

Whitehall Lane Reserve (most underrated, IMHO)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

To confirm my memory I opened a bottle of Cabernet Mondavi Reserve 1994.

I am eating my words here.

A terrible waste of money both in terms of a premature opening and in terms of an overpriced wines.

Indeed the tannins were massive but as far as complexity is concerned ....

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

My greatest Cal Cab list is filled with some young beasts.

The pinnacle being 1999 Grace Family- Unctuous texture, like syrup and fat, with hugely concentrated cassis syrup bombarded by cocoa, baking spices espresso, so full of depth, very dynamic, constantly evolving, with a finish that lasted till the next day.

Last Saterday at my store we popped a 1995 Araujo, still really young and vibrant, not quite as good as all the hype, but I definitely would not of sent it back. Where were you Klinger?

My stand by is the C.J. by Phillipe Melka $34.99 and the Little Stone $15.99, both from Napa and both steals at their prices.

The best Californian Cab I remember having was a 1992 Phelps Napa Valley. It tasted like velvet, was hugely bodied, and was simply delicious. I have another 1997 (95 pts.) of the same resting in my cellar and I look forward to the day I open that. Another wonderful Cab I had years ago was a 1984 Chappellet Napa Valley. Not nearly as big as the Phelps but a delicious wine nonetheless.

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

I'm not a big drinker of California Cabs, but I'll chime in with one more vote for Phelps Insignia. I have always liked the ones I've tried, and in the crazy price structure of Napa wines, it's actually not a bad value.

I agree with alot of what has been said. Montelena, any Cab Phelps makes (all are good at different price points IMHO, except maybe Backus, though that is certainly an experience)

The best for me would be 1999 Araujo that I paid $200 for on my honeymoon (off of a wine list no less!). It had such great fruit and balance, and the finish seemed to last a lifetime. The release of flavor in the wine from front to mid to finish was unlike anything I had (and have) ever experienced.

Msk