• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean Namul and Banchan

I get Korean takeout quite often and the banchan of course varies from week to week. Last week for the first time I received a single hotdog, diagonally slivered and lightly browned. I was just curious if this is traditional anywhere, or if the women at my carryout just really like hot dogs.

At home my Mother-inlaw will sometimes serve hot dogs just like that. But I have never gotten it when out of the house.

• 2 months later...

Never seen anyone do that exact thing at a korean restaurant, but it is popular to put hot dogs in things like budae chigae, kimchi fried rice, kimbap, baked goods, etc.

Processed meat products (spam, hot dogs, corned beef, etc) are popular bc Americans introduced them during the Korean war.

Theres a very popular dish called "budae chigae" which means army dish stew. It requires the addition of processed meats (hot dogs perhaps) and additional things like cheese, ramen, potatoes, etc. It was a favorite dish growing up (:

Here is one I made a few nights ago.

4152024190_63ff63dbec.jpg

We eat the same thing at my house, but my mother slices the pickles really thin and then squeezes them. I think this makes them crunchier and they taste really good with fresh rice with some hot or cold boricha poured over the rice.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pretty! That's a rather uncommon panchan to get at restaurants, too, isn't it? At least it was when I lived in Korea. What did you eat it with?

It takes a lot of work to make it for such a small amount so I am sure that is why its not normal at restaurants.

I ate it with Beoseot jeongol 버섯전골

4260553147_65a58d5085.jpg

4260552449_08f61b7681.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Gyeran Jjim 계란찜

4312910962_ac31960996_b.jpg

I made this Korean version of steamed egg custard.

3/4 cup water, 2 eggs, whip and strain into bowl. Add green onion, green pepper, red pepper and 1/2 tablespoon salted shrimp (could just use salt or fish sauce). Cover with plastic wrap and steam for 15 min.