• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Rec near Green Park Tube - London

Hello,

meeting up with some folks in London. One of whom works very close to the Green Park Tube stop.

Would like to dine in this area (Mayfair, I believe?) but don't have a clue where.

Only requirements are it must be casual (slacks, shirt, nothing more dressy than that) and no Italian.

Would prefer ethnic or something w/local flavor.

Thanks in advance.

Willie

Edited by Sweet Willie (log)
"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

Fakhreldine

85 Piccadilly

Tel 020 7493 3424

Lebanese. Used to be dire, but has improved a lot and is now garnering some very positive reviews. Some tables with pleasant views over Green Park. Great local flavour...

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

La Rascasse at Cafe Grand Prix on Berkeley Street - revolting interior but very good food according to some recent reports.

Berkeley Square Cafe is supposed to be fun, but haven't been.

Restaurant 1837 at the Browns Hotel, Albermale St - reviewed by Ramsey in the Standard yesterday.

Chor Bizarre - Albermale Street - if you thought Cafe Grand Prix was bad, the interior here is even more naff, but it is Ismail Merchant's favourite curry house apparently.

Then if you are prepared to walk a little further, you will hit Conduit Street (via Cecconi's - not of interest to you because its italian) - Sketch, Deca, Noble Rot ... Mayfair has its fair share of good places.

Is Tamarind still round there (20 Queen St)? Would satisfy your ethnic request - Posh Indian (1 Michelin star). Might be a bit dressy though. I went a few years ago and thought it good but overrated.

There's a cheap noodle place in an old bank near the Ritz - great location average food. Also a more expensive place in the same building I believe.

W.

There's a cheap noodle place in an old bank near the Ritz - great location average food.  Also a more expensive place in the same building I believe.

W.

china house. just bought by corbin and king, the guys behind the ivy/caprice rennaissance. hurrah!

went to fakhreldine last week. pretty good. you can max out on mezze for a reasonablish amount. rammed with tourists, though.

m